Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keeping hands warm during winter

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-22, 07:21 PM
VoodooSix

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock 29er, 2012 BMC timemachine TM01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Learned a good lesson today, I used surgical gloves underneath my gloves on a ride today, kept my hands pretty warm. Been thru about 20 different gloves and none worked for keeping the hands warm. The surgical gloves kept the moisture away from the gloves.

Hope this helps with winter riding.

Cheers! and Merry Christmas!
Likes For VoodooSix:
Old 12-26-22, 11:12 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
On yesterday’s ride (27°F/19° wind chill) I was thinking about adding surgical gloves. I use water resistant mittens made with wind stopper fabric. They work pretty well, but I can still feel just a bit of cold air coming through. Not quite as cold today, but I think I’ll give it a try when ride.

Dan
Old 12-26-22, 01:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
my electric gloves work pretty well once it gets below 40 much about that then they are too warm even without power. I used them on my 30 minute ride that got down to 17 thats a bit low and a longer ride. would haven needed more maybe those hand warmers inside.
Old 01-10-23, 02:20 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
You have to be flexible- I took 4 pair gloves on todays ride- thin liners, heavy polypro liners, heavy gloves, waterproof shell. I mix combinations of gloves depending on conditions- 1st starting out/10+mile warmth, headwind/tailwind, uphill/downhill, morning cold/afternoon warmth.
Old 01-10-23, 04:44 PM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
When I didn't have a car I used a pair of neoprene gloves and if it got really cold a pair of gore- tex over mitts over the neoprene. That worked well and that was for Wisconsin winters.
Now I only go out if its above freezing and with wool gloves with a leather over glove so they don't wear out.
Old 01-11-23, 11:07 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
My DIY heated liner gloves have made winter riding so much more enjoyable since I started using them regularly last January. This year I haven't even bothered putting my bar mitts on the bike. I've been tinkering with different versions for a few years, but it really came together last year when I switched to a USB-C power bank along with a USB-C 9V adapter and PWM module to power/control them.

My hands would always get cold later in a ride when my gloves got damp from sweat, and even with bar mitts they would get cold and numb.
Old 01-11-23, 12:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
My DIY heated liner gloves have made winter riding so much more enjoyable since I started using them regularly last January. This year I haven't even bothered putting my bar mitts on the bike. I've been tinkering with different versions for a few years, but it really came together last year when I switched to a USB-C power bank along with a USB-C 9V adapter and PWM module to power/control them.

My hands would always get cold later in a ride when my gloves got damp from sweat, and even with bar mitts they would get cold and numb.
What kind of temperatures do you ride? I've never lived north of Ann Arbor, MI and have not done rides longer than commutes below 15-20F (around -8C) when I was younger and could generate more body heat. Then my brother gave me a Zzipper fairing. Yeah! Those things are equal to a full layer of clothing, including hands.

Long ago I spent a week riding 12 miles to work, first several downhill, leaving the house at -5F (-20C). That was cold! I think I was using just my workhorse leather chopper mitts over wool mittens. I do remember very distinctly that I was quite glad the long hill showed up at mile 3 and I started warming before any frostbite. Once I had that fairing, the chopper mitts and liners always worked just fine. (Those things are a huge blessing in the wet too. I stopped using mine only because they compromise hand positions on the hoods and the really cold stuff rarely happens where I live now. But I did use it and fully appreciated it for my Seattle winters of commuting along the waterfront north-south for 17 miles each way. Dead into the storm winds and rain.)

Congrats on a good method of beating the system (the weather)!
Old 01-11-23, 05:52 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
What kind of temperatures do you ride?
I've mostly been sticking to warmer than -15C unless its a shorter group ride that I drive to. I like to go out for 2-3 hours at a time, which is harder to do when it gets really cold.

I'd probably ride more in colder temperatures if I could keep my face warm without fogging my glasses. I had a thought that when wearing a winter jacket your face is always warmer with the hood up even when facing the wind. I'm not sure if that is due to back pressure created by the hood or just disrupting the air flow. It would be great if you could replicate that on a bike helmet. I'm not sure if you'd need to cover the helmet with a hood or just add a fringe that goes all the way around from strap to strap over the top. Not sure if it would be ridiculous or awesome to add a faux fir hood fringe over the top of a helmet for winter riding, though it would get in the way of my helmet light.
Old 01-12-23, 01:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I've mostly been sticking to warmer than -15C unless its a shorter group ride that I drive to. I like to go out for 2-3 hours at a time, which is harder to do when it gets really cold.

I'd probably ride more in colder temperatures if I could keep my face warm without fogging my glasses. I had a thought that when wearing a winter jacket your face is always warmer with the hood up even when facing the wind. I'm not sure if that is due to back pressure created by the hood or just disrupting the air flow. It would be great if you could replicate that on a bike helmet. I'm not sure if you'd need to cover the helmet with a hood or just add a fringe that goes all the way around from strap to strap over the top. Not sure if it would be ridiculous or awesome to add a faux fir hood fringe over the top of a helmet for winter riding, though it would get in the way of my helmet light.
dunno, but I have certainly worn a hood w/a helmet
Old 01-14-23, 06:33 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
I used to commute every day through winter for 15 years. I found Dachstein Wool mittens under Gore-Tex over-mitts did the job. Lowest temps I rode in were -3F/-19C.
Shoes: leather Keens cycling shoe

I loved climbing hills during winter unfortunately I had a 3 mile downhill to start my commute.

I am retired but I still miss my commute.
Old 01-14-23, 06:36 PM
balto charlie

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts

I liked neck gaiters, versatile and somewhat adjustable to do what one needs
Likes For balto charlie:
Old 01-14-23, 08:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
I'm a weather weenie and don't ride much below 32F, and from 50 deg. down my hands would always be cold . I tried several kinds of gloves with no success, until someone mentioned downhill skiing gloves. I found a pair on clearance, and they're great! They're actually windproof, which is exactly what was missing from the others.
Old 01-15-23, 09:54 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I been relying on wool glomitts since I first discovered them, about 20 years ago.