Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Any suggested routes from N Atlanta to Greenville

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-11, 09:07 PM
tj90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking of doing a long trip between these 2 cities and wondering if anyone can suggest a good route. Ive used Google mapping but it put me on roads that I know are heavily truck travelled close to Greenville. If anyone has ridden this corridore Id love to hear suggested routes.
Old 09-17-11, 06:48 PM
mandopickr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF you can find a route to the state line, I may be able to help your from there. My guess is that you'll either have to go north of Gainesville, or south of Hartwell.

Coming into SC through Toccoa gives you several decent routes into the Greenville area. Also coming in south of Hartwell on 187 gives a few options on getting to Greenville.
Old 10-06-11, 02:51 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. Id like to end up in buford area. taccoa may be a great option. I was originally thinking south of hartwell, but navigating through clemson/seneca N of hartwell is probably a little more hilly and more interesting. can you give me some suggested roads from taccoa south to buford area? THANKS!

PS - found a double route (pasted below). Wonder if I can adopt this route into a 1 way trip?

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1264841

Last edited by tj90; 10-06-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 07:46 PM
mandopickr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden the upper loop, but it will be VERY hilly. My suggestion would be the lower loop to Toccoa, then take 123 to Westminster. Its a nice ride along the upper end of Lake Hartwell and goes over the Chauga River. You'll not find a lot of places for water, etc between Toccoa and Westminster, but once you get Westminster, you'll have restaurants, filling stations, etc. If you're headed to Greenville, then I'd take 183 in Westminster. This will be rolling hills, some long grades, but you'll go over Lake Keowee. It will take you through Pickens, SC.

From Pickens, take Highway 8 NE of Pickens, to 186 Earl's Bridge Road, through Dacusville. At the Sonoco in Dacusville, turn right on Hunts Bridge Road. Bear left at the first fork (N. Martin Road). It will run back into Hunts Bridge, and bear right on Hunts Bridge. Then go left at the river bridge. Take the first left onto McElhaney Road. It will turn into Roe Ford Road. After crossing Hwy 25 Bypass at the red light, go about 200 hundred yards, and turn right on the Swamp Rabbit trail. This will take you into downtown Greenville.

If this isn't what you need, let me know.

BTW, are you headed to Buford, near Rock Hill, or Beaufort, below Charleston?
Old 10-11-11, 06:10 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow - thanks for the ride idea. Im actually thinking about going from Simpsonville, SC to Buford, GA. Buford is south of gainesville, ga. Your knowledge of the SC side of the ride makes me believe that youve ridden these routes before. Ive driven the upper side of the top loop and its not just hilly but mountainous! Thats too much elevation for the mileage id like to ride. Ill map out a route and you can take a look. I like how you connect to Swamp rabbit - thats easy way for me to connect and get through north greenville!
Old 10-11-11, 08:03 PM
sedges

Bikes: Trek 820 Antelope (1992)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
alternate from Toccoa,GA to Walhalla, SC

US123 out of Toccoa is fine with almost 2 feet of pavement outside the white line. That all disappears in SC. I find trucks on that road are often rude or clueless about how to deal with bikes in their lane. I recommend the following route to Walhalla where you can pick up SC183 as mentioned above.

About 200 feet after the bridge over the Tugaloo River/Hartwell Lake(crossing into SC) go left on River Road. The relief from traffic will be immediate! Follow River Road under the RR underpass and then turn right on Jarrett Bridge Road. Left on New Madison were Jarrett Bridge ends. Follow the right fork and then on to Horseshoe Bridge Road. Lots of ups and down on this road, but little traffic. Horseshoe Bridge Road ends at US 76. Right on US76 just a few hundred yards to Coffee Road and all the way to Walhalla. Turn right on SC 28 or one of the side streets to get over to SC 183.
Old 10-13-11, 08:53 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a proposed route that I put together. It doesnt include the coffee road suggestion above but it should follow everything else pretty well. If you dont mind, take a look at the route and see if there are roads I should reconsider. Thanks for all your help sedges.

https://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=320011
Old 10-15-11, 08:15 PM
mandopickr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are people that ride 276 (Laurens Road), through Greenville, but I wouldn't. Too much congested traffic for my taste. You may be okay with it though. It is certainly the most direct route to where you are going.

Also, I would not turn left on McElhaney Road, but continue straight and you will come out near the 25/183 intersection on Old White Horse Road. Turn right, the bear right on Hwy 25, and a few hundred yards down, at a Citgo station, bear left onto Hunts Bridge Road again (state road 104). This will take you down to Cedar Lane Road where you will turn left and get you back on your route above.
Old 10-18-11, 03:12 PM
sedges

Bikes: Trek 820 Antelope (1992)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
clarkesville to Toccoa

I would not recommend your route from Clarkesville to Toccoa. GA 17 alternate(Talmidge road on google) is a dangerous road. Traffic is fast it is curvy, has zero shoulder and the DOT hasn't mowed at all this year so there is no safe bail out off the pavement. This, of course, is designated by the wonderful GA DOT as a state bike route. Don't believe a thing about DOT bike routes in GA.

Instead of turning onto Antioch Church Road I would continue on GA 17 through the intersection with US441 to GA365. Turn left and follow 365 to GA 184 or GA 106/ Mize Road(better) to go into town. GA365 is a big divided highway, but has great shoulder and little traffic. It is also very scenic!
Old 10-19-11, 02:23 PM
tj90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great feedback guys. I will modify the routes based on your suggestions. Its great to have "forward observers" helping you get a route together!
Old 10-24-11, 04:52 AM
crashmo
Shaven Sasquatch

Bikes: Salsa Colossal

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tj90, let's hear more about this ride. I'm near Buford and the roads 'round here are super narrow, hilly, and people drive pretty crazy. I have been wanting to make a trip up to Hartwell, but haven't convinced myself of a doable route. I'd love to hear more about it!