Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Lezyne Dual Pump Head - Having Trouble

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Lezyne Dual Pump Head - Having Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-22, 05:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Lezyne Dual Pump Head - Having Trouble - Solved

Replaced the worn out pump head on my Zefal floor pump. I chose the Lezyne dual pump head because I have had great success with thier other products. My problem is that the Presta side of the head does not slide down far enough to engage the valve stem. I can still pump up the tire by just over pressurizing the valve but the gauge on the Zefal floor pump will not show the tire pressure but rather the residual pressure in the pump hose. I am now just pumping up the tire to a ball park figure then checking the pressure with a Presta Tire pressure gauge.

Is this going to be a regular method or will the head loosen up to the point the presta valve gets depressed allowing for a better reading on the floor pump gauge? Or is there something I am missing in its application?

SOLVED: As suggested I applied some silicone grease to a Presta Stem and the inner O ring. I still had the problem and could not get the stem down into the head far enough to actuate the valve. I then took a round wooden skewer just large enough to fit into the head and closed the head with the lever around it . At removal and examination hole in the head was now larger. The head now slides onto the Presta stems normally. I suspect that the O ring in the head was not seated properly and after closing around the skewer it is now in place where needed.

Last edited by zandoval; 07-14-22 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 07-14-22, 08:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
If the new gasket is too tight, I would try a little bit of silicone lubricant.
Old 07-14-22, 02:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I think that my pump heads work the same as yours on Presta valves; they DO have a pin to depress Schrader valves.
Old 07-14-22, 02:27 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
I don't know if the Lezyne Dual Valve pump head is designed to open Presta valves. Have you looked inside the Presta opening to see if there is any feature inside there that looks as though it would open the valve?

Lezyne's ABS-1 Pro HP chuck does not open Presta valves, so using the pump proceeds pretty much as you describe. When you start pumping, you are just pumping up the hose until you get a high enough pressure to crack the Presta valve. After pumping a tire, the pressure in the tire is always a bit less than was indicated on pump gauge, owing to the cracking pressure of the Presta valve.

I bought a Lezyne floor pump that came with the ABS-1 Pro HP, but also bought a Dual Valve head because I thought I would like that better. The ABS-1 Pro HP ended up winning me over.

Full disclosure: I don't have to move back and forth between Presta and Schrader frequently. If I did, then I might use the Dual Valve head.