Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

RD lower pulley wobbles up/down in low chainring

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

RD lower pulley wobbles up/down in low chainring

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-22, 02:11 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
RD lower pulley/cage wobbles up/down in low chainring

I replaced my FSA 50/34t with a Sugino replica 42/26t cranks with SPA chainrings.

I can see the lower pulley/the cage of my RD goes 2-3 mm up/down together with cranks when in the low-low (the cage is almost parallel to the ground). The wobbling of the cage persists across all the cogs but becomes almost indistinguishable at the high cog. No issues when on large chainring.

Is my lower chainring asymmetrical and needs to be replaced? Any other causes? Shall I ignore it or do I take it back to the seller?
Old 07-23-22, 06:33 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Is this a new chain? If it's the old chain, how many links did you remove? What's the position of the derailleur cage relative to the ground in large-large?

Is the chainline of the new crankset identical to the old?
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 07-23-22, 06:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Back in the Bio Pace chain ring era the industry found that the slight rotational movement of the rear cage (as the chain slack was taken in and played out) made no appreciable difference to the life of the parts. I suspect your ring is not really round WRT the BB axle. But the crank arm bolt holes also might be where the tolerance is off too. Andy
Old 07-23-22, 09:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
No part is perfectly concentric, nor is any assembly. I would consider 2-3 mm of derailleur movement irrelevant; the amount of non-concentricity of the chainring is certainly less than this. You could see if loosening/moving/re-tightening the chainring helps but I would not bother. And I am pretty fussy about this stuff. The only thing to check is to ensure that the movement is not because of excess play/looseness.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-23-22, 09:54 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Is this a new chain? If it's the old chain, how many links did you remove? What's the position of the derailleur cage relative to the ground in large-large?

Is the chainline of the new crankset identical to the old?
  • Same old chain, absolutely no wear according to the tool
  • Removed 4 links
  • Chainline should be either the same or +0.5mm, hard to tell