Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

bagortlieb.store a legit site?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-09-22, 12:36 AM
bathedinshadow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking for an older version of an Ortlieb bag and this site has it. But I'm wondering if this is a legit site and if any of you have ever used it? I never really see Ortlieb with great sales, let alone at these prices. I'm wondering if it's actual Ortlieb even? The site is just a little odd and lacks some basic information that is usually available. But then it includes information that I wouldn't expect from a site that's a scam. I did a quick search of their listed address and it seems it's a mashup up two different addresses. I.e., the street doesn't exist in the city they provided.

As I'm writing this all out, it definitely sounds like a scam. Just curious if anybody has used it. And perhaps to warn future shoppers to look into this first if nobody here knows anything.
Old 08-09-22, 02:14 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
At the time this report was first created, Bagortlieb was less than 365 days old. Put simply, at the time this investigation was drafted, Bagortlieb.store was exactly 1 month, & 11 days old.
This website was bought online on Jun 14th, 2022.
https://tvstuffonline.com/bagortlieb-store

i dunno the retail or online prices for ortlieb, but if this site is heaps cheaper, something's fishful.

looks like it popped up about a month ago, their webmaster put them in the wrong city. phoenix vs. yonkers. oopsie!

i'm guessin', and this is my opinion, this is a fly-by-intertubes pop-up site that sells fake chinese knockoffs at low prices until the feds get wise, they're forced to shut down, and then they pop up in another dark crevice of the interwebs.

so you'll prolly get what you ordered, and have some security by using a credit card. but what will you get?

sometimes the chinese knockoffs are produced in the same factories with the same materials the manufacturer ordered..........they just do a longer production run. sometimes with the same label, other times rebranded as "artleib" or "orlteeb". other times you get cheap materials with the fancy brand name. ya never know until it arrives.
Old 08-09-22, 06:45 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
The“tvstuffonline” website is hot garbage itself.

It just replaced the website you were interested-in in boiler-plate text.

What it is trying to do is gain undeserved reputation by getting people to link to it.

Why the heck would a website with that name be an “authority” on scam websites?
Old 08-09-22, 07:04 AM
saddlesores

picked out the important bit.
same info on whois

Domain: bagortlieb.store
Registrar: Name.com, Inc
Registered On: 2022-06-14
https://www.whois.com/whois/bagortlieb.store
Old 08-09-22, 07:23 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
picked out the important bit.
same info on whois

https://www.whois.com/whois/bagortlieb.store
That’s the authoritative source.

It’s easy to get that info automatically. That’s what the garbage site is doing (the tv site is a scam, in some form, too).

People should pay attention to the URL. It should make some sort of sense.

If the URL makes no sense, there a reasonable chance it isn’t something you want to visit.

(The trickier situation are URLs that sort-of look “legit”.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 08-09-22 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-09-22, 05:45 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks everybody. Yeah I mean obviously it alerted my suspicion. I'm a moderately cautious online shopper. So far I haven't had any issues, but it's just a matter of time. The address provided is a mashup, but even if it was just an honest mistake and it's suppose to be Yonkers... that address is a grocery store.
Old 08-09-22, 08:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Why do we still need these threads. As I say on every single of these exact same threads, DON'T BUY FROM A PLACE YOU DON'T TRUST. If you have to ask it is a not a place you would ever want to buy from.

If it is too good to be true it probably is.

Also generally factories are not producing Ortlieb panniers and then making more of them with the same quality and selling them out of a backdoor. It is something we want to believe in because it sounds great but these mystical third shifts just aren't there.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-09-22, 09:20 PM
bathedinshadow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are plenty of sites that people ask about because they don't trust them. Bikeinn being one that I see people ask about regularly. I've bought from them several times and haven't had a problem. I was suspicious of them initially, but was happy to have found threads (just like this one) of people asking about it and it eased my concern. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought there. I see nothing wrong with asking about a site. If you felt it wasn't a worthy question, you were free to not reply.
Old 08-09-22, 10:37 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Also generally factories are not producing Ortlieb panniers and then making more of them with the same quality and selling them out of a backdoor. It is something we want to believe in because it sounds great but these mystical third shifts just aren't there.
yes, yes they are! that's how things work in china land.

western corporation contracts with chinese factory to make 100,000 widgets, provides materials for 110,000 widgets to allow for loss and quality rejects.

chinese factory produces contractual amount, but what happens to any leftover materials? might be returned, might be sold off, but often will keep production running until it's all gone. that overage might get the actual label, or might be relabeled. you never know.

and while they've got the machines set up for Q-36 immodium space modulators, they might just keep it running using whatever materials can be locally sourced, with production being labeled whichever way makes a few more bucks.

like my mama always said "life is like a crate of chinese knock-offs; you never know what you're gonna get!"
Old 08-10-22, 10:30 AM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I lke my knock-off

Off topic of Ortlieb, I purchased a welder from China that was a knock off or so I thought of a miller inverter multi process tig & stick welder with plasma cutting Miller $2199.00. This Ramsond label was $459.00 cost to my door and I could have it in any color but blue. The same parts were inside as in my brothers Miller, same circuit boards down to the letter the only difference was the skin, the sheet metal and face labels. This was not a knock off it was a Miller with a facelift, you just never know. This was about 15 years ago and now HD now sells something sorta like the the unit I got but not quite the Miller.

Last edited by mbusky; 08-10-22 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-15-22, 03:32 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Ortleib bags aren't made in China, they're made about a half hour from me in Heilsbronn
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 08-15-22, 04:38 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Ortleib bags aren't made in China, they're made about a half hour from me in Heilsbronn
maybe they are, maybe they aren't.......if you bought from online shop not affiliated with the manufacturer....

Old 08-15-22, 04:40 AM
saddlesores

or these....

or my all time flavorite!