Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Rain/Winter Planning - Gravel Guards (Quick On/Off) ?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 06:38 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts

So 'Winter' is just around the corner... LOL!
Thinking and planning ahead - since I'm shipping my PoseidonX to Germany, for my trip in October - bike will remain there, permanently for future trips.
There WILL be rain, and cold... and for those days I'd like to put on some fender/guards... ideally something non-permanent (The X doesn't have enough clearance for full fenders...) which can be put on in minutes.
For my mtbs I've always used the SKS rear mudguard with a quick connector to the seatpost. My 1st search went to SKS, and these are some good options.... I think
SKS X-Blade 29r
SKS X-Board I can cut the width down, if it seems excessively wide...
If anyone has any other ideas or recommendations, they would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have pics of installation on your bike - again, non-permanent guards for gravel-ish bike.
Thanks
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-29-22, 08:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
For messy gravel riding, I think Ass Savers are king. Superlight, quick n easy on/off, packable…. I use Fender Bendor for excellent “ass saving” protection, and Mini Mudder front just to protect the lower headset and keep front wheel spray off my face.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-30-22, 06:14 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
The SKS Speedrockers are made specifically for gravel bikes. I slap them on for winter riding. Pretty easy to take on and off, but they are much sturdier than any of the other SKS fenders I've used over the years. I think they will work with tires up to 42mm.
Likes For Dino_Sore:
Old 08-31-22, 06:23 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I use SKS Raceblade Pro XL’s. Although rated to 32mm tires, they still work well on my 38’s. Once set up, they go on in a minute and stay secure on gravel roads. While not full fenders, they do a good job and keep 90% of the water off. For mud, all fenders collect it. I use an Ass Saver when it’s a mud ride.
Likes For veloz:
Old 08-31-22, 10:34 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
For messy gravel riding, I think Ass Savers are king. Superlight, quick n easy on/off, packable…. I use Fender Bendor for excellent “ass saving” protection, and Mini Mudder front just to protect the lower headset and keep front wheel spray off my face.

More important - how are the Ultradynamico tires?