Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Frame Material Preference Poll

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Frame Material Preference
Carbon Fiber
31.25%
Aluminum
7.81%
Steel
47.66%
Titanium
13.28%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Frame Material Preference Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-22, 04:36 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm not sure why you wrote two mutually contradictory statements, but cf frames can definitely be repaired.
I took the line about not being able to repair carbon from the post from above mine. I just copied and pasted that statement from his comments, I know you can repair carbon.
Old 11-12-22, 04:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
I took the line about not being able to repair carbon from the post from above mine. I just copied and pasted that statement from his comments, I know you can repair carbon.
In future, you can quote a post (as I did yours) in order to avoid confusion.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-12-22, 04:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Repairing carbon frame is a complex process. It's a lot easier to repair a steel frame.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-12-22, 05:29 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
[QUOTE=SpedFast;22707329 I'm looking for the holy grail of bikes. y[/QUOTE]

The only way for you to find the "holy grail of bikes" is to go test ride a bunch of bikes with different frame types. Keep in mind when doing this that some bikes may have wider tires thus using lower psi which will make it appear as if it's smoother riding than another.

All I can tell you is my experience, yours could be different. I use to live in California, the roads there aren't near as bad as they are in NE Indiana where I live now, the freeze and thaw cycle just plays havoc on roads here making them a lot worse than California. I have several steel bikes, and they do ride good, but when got my Lynskey Peloton which I never test rode, but I did test ride several time another TI bike, the difference was not subtle, over harsh broken and pot hole roads the bike was smoother, obviously not like a suspension bike, but smoother than any other road frame material I have ever been on. Even on chip and seal roads, my steel bikes would leave my feet and legs buzzing for awhile, I don't get that at all with the TI bike, and the tire size are the same, and the geometry is close to the same. If you can afford a TI bike, ride one or two, then decide. TI, if made right, will last a lifetime and then some, they will even survive crashes better than a steel bike will, but a steel bike will survive crashes better than AL or CF frame will.

The TI bike I got to test ride was a friend's of mine, it was the least expensive TI bike on the market at the time, a Motobecane bought from Bikes Direct, and that cheapest TI bike had that same subtle smoothness about it that my Lynskey has. I almost bought the Motobecane from Bikes Direct, but when I went to order it, it was out of stock, and stayed out of stock for over a year and a half, in the meantime the Lynskey Peloton came up on a closeout sale so I got it instead.

Here is an example of what kind of force a TI tube can take vs other tube materials:

Here's an interesting test done, but TI is not included, but does reveal what the other materials abuse can take:

Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-12-22, 05:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Can you repair a carbon bike frame if crashed ? Not as far as I know. But with a steelframe you can. The Reynolds 853 introduced in the mid 90's (1994 to be exact) is Reynolds’ premium grade of ferrous steel. 853 is an air-hardening steel. The benefits of this are particularly noticeable in the weld area, where, unlike conventional steel alloys, strength can actually increase after cooling in air immediately after welding. 853 is heat-treated to give high strength and damage resistance, and the steel properties allow thin walls to be used so that lower-weight but fatigue-resistant structures can be made. The 853 Pro Team was used by the TVM road racing in gazelle bikes in1998. To get back to the Columbus Genius topic, in 1991 Columbus introduced some Differential Butted Shape butted (DBS) tubesets in which the shape of the butt actually follows the area of the tube where most of the stress is. GENIUS was the first of them. The butted ends on GENIUS are shorter, so the whole set was the first one strictly designed for TiG welding. If the genius tubes were this bad they wouldn't have been in production and wouldn't have been used on professional road bike racing bikes and mountain biking professional racing bikes. A wide selection of tube thicknesses and diameters allowed GENIUS tubing to be used in many different types of frame types. Carbon started to be used massively in late 90's early 00's. There is a martensic ageing steel that dwarfs the carbon made frames, it is the Reynolds 953 developped in the 2000's.This alloy that can achieve tensile strength in excess of 2000 MPa, Reynolds achieved a strength-to-weight ratio that can take on the world’s best. The resilient ride of steel, very high impact strength (similar to armour plating) and fatigue resistance combine to provide an extraordinary material. The 953 is of course more focused on custom made frame rather than on an industrial scale because it is a very expensive material and there are specific techniques of how to weld or filet braze it. We might agree to disagree but steel is a material with loads of potential and remember also that before the introduction of more exotic materials such as aluminium, titanium and carbon,Reynolds was considered the dominant maker of high end materials for bicycle frames, with 27 winners of the Tour de France winning the race riding on Reynolds steel tubing (531c,653 and 753). Not bad a record for steel tubing

Yes carbon can be repaired and probably cheaper and more reliably than a tig welded 953 bike. Repairing tig welded steel frames is a real pain if possible at all.

Even when built from the wonder material of 953 a Specialized Aethos is almost 1/3 of the weight. That’s 3 bikes! Or build a carbon bike the same weight as your 953 and rest assured that bike will be more durable.

You mentioned 2,000 MPa for 953, modern carbon as used on a premium bike easily exceed 5,500 MPa

How about counting winners the past 30 years and what the dominant material would be? . It’s like claiming wood is the premium material for wheels because that’s what won all the chariot races!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 11-12-22, 05:52 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

I can take my index finger, and my thumb, and squeeze the top tube of any CF bike in the middle of the tube and get the tube to flex on a road bike, I can't do that with any other type of frame material, just CF, and that's why you have to be real careful to make sure you are using the correct torque specs or you could crush the CF, and crush it in such a way you don't even know you crushed it, till have X number of rides till it suddenly fails leaving you scratching your head, if still can scratch your head, over why it broke. So that nonsense about 5,500 Mpa is just that, nonsense used in marketing to erase peoples fear of CF.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/oth...ries-1.1879653

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...carbon.377783/

This video is funny but it makes a point, just click on the play button and enjoy: https://vimeo.com/106021360
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-12-22, 06:21 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I can take my index finger, and my thumb, and squeeze the top tube of any CF bike in the middle of the tube and get the tube to flex on a road bike, I can't do that with any other type of frame material, just CF, and that's why you have to be real careful to make sure you are using the correct torque specs or you could crush the CF, and crush it in such a way you don't even know you crushed it, till have X number of rides till it suddenly fails leaving you scratching your head, if still can scratch your head, over why it broke. So that nonsense about 5,500 Mpa is just that, nonsense used in marketing to erase peoples fear of CF.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/oth...ries-1.1879653

https://www.roadbikereview.com/threa...carbon.377783/

This video is funny but it makes a point, just click on the play button and enjoy: https://vimeo.com/106021360
Old 11-12-22, 06:26 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by wolfchild
Repairing carbon frame is a complex process. It's a lot easier to repair a steel frame.
I'm not sure that's always correct.

A friend damaged the top tube of his cf MTB frame, and the repair was only a few hundred dollars. If it'd TIG welded steel, it would've cost less to buy a new frame, most likely. Even a lugged steel frame is pretty expensive to repair.
Old 11-12-22, 06:33 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I can take my index finger, and my thumb, and squeeze the top tube of any CF bike in the middle of the tube and get the tube to flex on a road bike....
Such a blanket statement about carbon frames is terribly misleading. There are flexy carbon frames and there are very stiff carbon frames. I own two carbon road bikes and their frame qualities could not be more different. One is confidence inspiring and just as solid feeling as any steel frame. The other one feels like a wet noodle.

Granted it's true you have to be very careful about torque specs.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 06:34 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I'm 73 btw

I'm looking for an endurance style bike that I can put full fenders on in the winter, ride strictly roads/mups. Don't need to fit anything wider than 28mm tires. And last, but definitely not least, not weigh as much as the iron I currently own.
It might also depend on your local terrain.

I met a local old guy in his late 70's... his driveway went straight up, maybe a half mile. He had a really nice carbon fiber bike, put it in low gear, and up he went.

If you've got a lot of hills, that few pounds saving may well be appreciated.

If it is completely flat, southern Florida. Then go with your concrete bicycle.
Old 11-12-22, 07:00 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 431 Posts
Bikes are more than the sum of their parts...
Frame material need not become 'religion'. Nor is a crusade needed for any tube.
Dogma and rationalization are one of the major human flaws.
I have too many bikes. They are all pretty great. If I had only one of them, I'd prolly get through ok. I have too many bikes.
All the materials have their advantages, strengths, weaknesses and disadvantages, so picking something is never perfect.
But that's inferred, since the entire Universe is 'imperfect', everything.
What I choose today is different from what I chose 25 yrs ago; and will not matter 25 yrs from now.
A few bikes is a good/nice thing. Too many bikes is stressful, attention diverting, lose of focus of what the 'bike' really brings to each of us.
'Riding' has very little to do with how many bikes I have.
Riding is always better than not riding, regardless of what I ride.
I have too many bikes.
RIDE on
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-12-22, 07:06 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I can take my index finger, and my thumb, and squeeze the top tube of any CF bike in the middle of the tube and get the tube to flex on a road bike ...
I've got 4 carbon frames here that are calling bs on that.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-12-22, 07:26 PM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
I don't see magnesium

My Vaast is made from it. Rest assured they promise it won't ignite.
Likes For astrodust:
Old 11-12-22, 08:16 PM
rekmeyata

A friend damaged the top tube of his cf MTB frame, and the repair was only a few hundred dollars. If it'd TIG welded steel, it would've cost less to buy a new frame, most likely. Even a lugged steel frame is pretty expensive to repair.
I think it is correct. This is the reason that people who tour on bicycle chose steel because it's the only material that even a person with a simple welder can repair, be it anywhere in the world, you won't see that happening with any other frame material, especially CF or TI. Even in the US you still have to send the CF somewhere for the repair, whereas a local person could fix a steel bike.
Old 11-12-22, 08:17 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I've got 4 carbon frames here that are calling bs on that.
Go do it right now, because I've done it to several different CF frames with the same result, and those CF bikes were $3,000 and up
Old 11-12-22, 08:39 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Go do it right now, because I've done it to several different CF frames with the same result, and those CF bikes were $3,000 and up
Nope. Tube flexing is possible. But actually being able to pinch a tube enough to change its shape? Total BS.
Old 11-12-22, 09:10 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by Lombard
Nope. Tube flexing is possible. But actually being able to pinch a tube enough to change its shape? Total BS.
Oh, so now you're going to change what I said, I did not say I changed it's shape, what I said was I could feel it flex slightly, which of course it rebounded when I let the pressure off, but try squeezing the center of a top tube on any other material and see what happens...nothing happens, no flex, no nothing, unless you're super strong you could make aluminum bend in from which it will not rebound back.
Old 11-12-22, 09:18 PM
Koyote

I think it is correct. This is the reason that people who tour on bicycle chose steel because it's the only material that even a person with a simple welder can repair, be it anywhere in the world, you won't see that happening with any other frame material, especially CF or TI. Even in the US you still have to send the CF somewhere for the repair, whereas a local person could fix a steel bike.
Ah, yes, the semi-mythical stories about people getting local welders in Timbuktu to repair their steel-framed touring bikes as they heroically pedal around the world. Right. Tell you what: you go get a quote on having a top tube replaced (so, old tube removed, new tube welded or brazed in, including the cost of the tube itself), and don't forget the new paint job. I'll bet it comes to more than the cost of my friend's cf top tube repair, which was under $300.

While it is often true that steel is easier and less costly to repair (especially mere bends which can be cold-set back into shape), and many steel frames function just fine with dents here and there, it is not always true that it'll cost less than a similar repair to a cf frame. That's why I wrote it like this:

Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-12-22, 09:33 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Oh, so now you're going to change what I said, I did not say I changed it's shape, what I said was I could feel it flex slightly, which of course it rebounded when I let the pressure off, but try squeezing the center of a top tube on any other material and see what happens...nothing happens, no flex, no nothing, unless you're super strong you could make aluminum bend in from which it will not rebound back.
Nope. I cannot feel it flex. And if you can indeed feel it flex when you squeeze the tube, you are momentarily changing its shape even if you can't see it. But it's irrelevant as there is no way you can do this unless you are Hercules. I'm calling BS.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 09:35 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Lombard
Nope. I cannot feel it flex. And if you can indeed feel it flex when you squeeze the tube, you are momentarily changing its shape even if you can't see it. But it's irrelevant as there is no way you can do this unless you are Hercules. I'm calling BS.
x2
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-12-22, 10:31 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
x2
The first time I heard the "you can feel the top tube bending inward when you pinch it between your fingers" meme was back in the '80s, and they were talking about Reynolds 753 steel tubing.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-12-22, 10:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Build a sub 600 gram steel frame and give it a squeeze, you would be able to crush it like a beer can. Now build a 1,700 gram carbon frame and give it a squeeze if you can crush that apply for a job with the circus. Besides who cares if it flex's anyways?

Good luck finding a random welder repairing a 753 or other heat treated steel frame. Given that most of the current premium lighter weight frames are tig welded how do you propose some local guy is going to repair that?
Old 11-12-22, 10:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
I did. I'm sure you could squeeze them with a pair of channel locks, but there's no way you're going to squeeze them with the pressure of your thumb and index finger.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 11-12-22, 11:05 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
We're getting off topic, sorta. I am still in shock over the low preference for aluminum. I was even considering the alum version of several nice bikes that are being offered in both carbon and alum, and not because I'm cheap, but because I honestly 'used to' (key word there) believe that alum would be more durable than carbon. Learning new things all the time.
Old 11-13-22, 02:15 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Back in my road bike racing days, I have seen a crash where a rider broke his look kg k286 and another one where a time carbon frame had its fork broken.The cost of repairs of the both carbon bikes was not cheap. I agree that repairing a steel frame is easier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.