Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

[Carbon Fiber] Would this bike scare you?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

[Carbon Fiber] Would this bike scare you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-22, 02:30 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I keep checking back to see if there's anything new about the question I asked. No new information, but this train wreck is just as entertaining.
I thought you WANTED a tri-bike. One that you could ride with flat pedals. I would say, that if you want that bike, buy it. Nothing to be scared about.

Last edited by vespasianus; 12-03-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-03-22, 02:51 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
I thought you WANTED a tri-bike. One that you could ride with flat pedals. I would say, that if you want that bike, buy it. Nothing to be scared about.
It's not so much that I want THAT bike. I do want a tri bike. That one is just rare in that it happens to be local to me and the correct size.

THIS is the bike I really want. The biggest barrier right now is just the distance. 700 miles round trip is a full day. I have finals next week and then I'm jumping on a plane to spend Christmas with family. I simply don't have the time to take a full day off from studying. I just hope it's still available when I get back after new year. Then I'll have time to take a drive.
Old 12-03-22, 03:03 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
THIS is the bike I really want. The biggest barrier right now is just the distance. 700 miles round trip is a full day. I have finals next week and then I'm jumping on a plane to spend Christmas with family. I simply don't have the time to take a full day off from studying. I just hope it's still available when I get back after new year. Then I'll have time to take a drive.
Look at it this way. If you wait until after the new year and the bike is still available, the listing will be older and that will give you more negotiating power. If it's gone, there will be other listings. And I assume you won't be doing any events until spring anyway, right?
Old 12-03-22, 03:06 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Camilo
Entertaining for sure. It's always entertaining - and perplexing - to me how there are people who can't just make a point, disagree with another's point, and then just move on. What it is in a person's life that causes them to need to win a meaningless argument with strangers online? But what is it with me that causes me to read this irrelevant (to me) drivel, alone at a desk and shake my head at the computer? In case anyone thinks I'm trying to claim any high ground here.
Yup. We're pretty much all guilty of this:
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-03-22, 03:23 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Lombard
Look at it this way. If you wait until after the new year and the bike is still available, the listing will be older and that will give you more negotiating power. If it's gone, there will be other listings. And I assume you won't be doing any events until spring anyway, right?
I'm not planning on doing any HERE until spring. I will be doing one in Sarasota next month, but I'll be using a different bike regardless.

But your point about the bike availability is well taken. If it lasts another month, I should be able to negotiate a pretty good price on it. And if it's not available, another will come along. Eventually.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-03-22, 10:14 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Entertaining for sure. It's always entertaining - and perplexing - to me how there are people who can't just make a point, disagree with another's point, and then just move on. What it is in a person's life that causes them to need to win a meaningless argument with strangers online? But what is it with me that causes me to read this irrelevant (to me) drivel, alone at a desk and shake my head at the computer? In case anyone thinks I'm trying to claim any high ground here.
That's very insightful, and also demonstrates remarkable self-awareness. I sometimes wonder the same thing after spending time here, but have never been able to articulate it this well.
Old 12-04-22, 01:21 AM
son_of_clyde

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Suggestion: If you compare a set of 2000g wheels to a set of 1500g wheels, the extra 500g is not located at the wheel radius. If, for instance, the two wheel sets differ only in rim depth (same hubs, spokes, etc.), the effective radius of the added mass will be quite a bit less than the wheel radius. Consequently, the difference in the moment of inertia of the two wheel sets will likely be less than half of what it would have been if the 500g was located at the wheel radius.
I understand what you're saying. I did it that way because estimating moment of inertia for a complex wheel (hub, spokes, etc.) would be a pita, plus having the weight concentrated at the radius gives sort of an "upper bound" in terms of advantage of lighter wheels.
Old 12-04-22, 05:13 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

It's not so much that I want THAT bike. I do want a tri bike. That one is just rare in that it happens to be local to me and the correct size.

OK. But then, I am not sure what "answer" you are looking for. The original question was about a being scared to buy a specific bike, If you want a tri-bike, I say but a tri-bike, which eve one you want.
Old 12-04-22, 05:21 AM
vespasianus

But honestly, this has been the most useful and entertaining thread. The arguments made were not crazy and there was some "data" presented that supported a point of view, that people actually looked at and discussed. In most other threads, nobody thinks and just states that 5 cents and keeps repeating whatever they want to repeat.

As for why we come back to things like this, there has to be something addictive - like crack cocaine- that is at play...
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-04-22, 09:29 AM
VegasJen

OK. But then, I am not sure what "answer" you are looking for. The original question was about a being scared to buy a specific bike, If you want a tri-bike, I say but a tri-bike, which eve one you want.
Ya, the question was really more about settling, and of course, the structural integrity. I want that Specialized, but once again, odds are not good that it will be available when I'm able to make the trip. The Kuota might be, and given that it's only 100 miles round trip instead of 700 miles, I have much more flexibility there.
Old 12-04-22, 10:00 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Ya, the question was really more about settling, and of course, the structural integrity. I want that Specialized, but once again, odds are not good that it will be available when I'm able to make the trip.
I would be willing to bet that bike will still be there a month from now. Most people aren't thinking about biking right now.

Don't settle. Keep looking for the bike you really want.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-04-22, 10:43 AM
vespasianus

Ya, the question was really more about settling, and of course, the structural integrity. I want that Specialized, but once again, odds are not good that it will be available when I'm able to make the trip. The Kuota might be, and given that it's only 100 miles round trip instead of 700 miles, I have much more flexibility there.
If you want the specialized, I would hold on for that. Come Jan and Feb, you will see more bikes for sale.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-04-22, 11:11 AM
VegasJen

I would be willing to bet that bike will still be there a month from now. Most people aren't thinking about biking right now.

Don't settle. Keep looking for the bike you really want.
The bike I really want it way out of my price range. And I would be stupid to spend that kind of money on a bike anyway. The bike I want is the bike I should have been riding 30 years ago when *maybe* I could have been a competitive athlete.
If you want the specialized, I would hold on for that. Come Jan and Feb, you will see more bikes for sale.
You think so? I would have thought that's when people would start shopping for bikes. I wouldn't think it would be a weather thing, especially for people in SoCal.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-04-22, 11:23 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,626 Times in 2,915 Posts
How did this thread get back on track?! Come-on people, you are really slipping.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-22, 11:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How did this thread get back on track?! Come-on people, you are really slipping.
I blame the OP.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-22, 11:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The bike I really want it way out of my price range. And I would be stupid to spend that kind of money on a bike anyway. The bike I want is the bike I should have been riding 30 years ago when *maybe* I could have been a competitive athlete.

You think so? I would have thought that's when people would start shopping for bikes. I wouldn't think it would be a weather thing, especially for people in SoCal.
Meant to mention earlier in the thread: before you drive 100 miles or any other significant distance, triple-check that the bikes you're looking at will actually fit. The size of one of the bikes you linked to was listed as "small," for example. That might be based on male rider sizing and be meant for a rider between 5'4" and 5'7".
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 12-04-22, 11:58 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Meant to mention earlier in the thread: before you drive 100 miles or any other significant distance, triple-check that the bikes you're looking at will actually fit. The size of one of the bikes you linked to was listed as "small," for example. That might be based on male rider sizing and be meant for a rider between 5'4" and 5'7".
That's exactly why I said what I said. Finding a bike in my size is challenging. I am 5'4", so yes, I need a small frame. Normally ride a 49 or 50cm road bike.
Old 12-04-22, 12:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

That's exactly why I said what I said. Finding a bike in my size is challenging. I am 5'4", so yes, I need a small frame. Normally ride a 49 or 50cm road bike.
5'4" isn't unusual. Not nearly as challenging as someone who is 5 foot nothing. I know a guy who found the only bike that fit him was an 47cm womens specific bike.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-04-22, 01:04 PM
VegasJen

5'4" isn't unusual. Not nearly as challenging as someone who is 5 foot nothing. I know a guy who found the only bike that fit him was an 47cm womens specific bike.
Maybe I should have been a little more specific. Unless going into a bike store and spec'ing a brand new bike, it can be difficult to find a tri bike in a small frame. I can ride a 54cm bike, but there's no question it's too tall for me to be comfortable on for a long ride. I can't swing a dead cat and not hit a 54cm/medium frame tri bike. But small frame tri bikes, and especially ones close to me, are a much rarer breed of unicorn.
Old 12-04-22, 02:51 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Maybe I should have been a little more specific. Unless going into a bike store and spec'ing a brand new bike, it can be difficult to find a tri bike in a small frame. I can ride a 54cm bike, but there's no question it's too tall for me to be comfortable on for a long ride. I can't swing a dead cat and not hit a 54cm/medium frame tri bike. But small frame tri bikes, and especially ones close to me, are a much rarer breed of unicorn.
To be clear, a 54cm bike is too large for you. I'm 5' 10" and take a 56cm bike. You're definitely a 49 or 50.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-04-22, 09:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I keep checking back to see if there's anything new about the question I asked. No new information, but this train wreck is just as entertaining.
Like my wife. I've found a couple that fit her and are comfortable, but it's usually an XXS, sometimes called a 44. BUT (big BUT), one really has to look at geometry and frame measurements. Sometimes its "S", sometimes "XS" that can easily fit then it's just a matter of (mostly) the head tube length and whether the rider wants/needs a higher or lower saddle-bar drop or maybe whether the standover meets the rider's comfort zone.
Old 12-05-22, 12:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
To be clear, a 54cm bike is too large for you. I'm 5' 10" and take a 56cm bike. You're definitely a 49 or 50.
Agreed. I'm 5'-9" and generally ride a 53 or 54.
Old 12-05-22, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Maybe I missed it before... Did you decide against the bike you were first looking at in this thread?
Old 12-05-22, 07:11 PM
VegasJen

Like my wife. I've found a couple that fit her and are comfortable, but it's usually an XXS, sometimes called a 44. BUT (big BUT), one really has to look at geometry and frame measurements. Sometimes its "S", sometimes "XS" that can easily fit then it's just a matter of (mostly) the head tube length and whether the rider wants/needs a higher or lower saddle-bar drop or maybe whether the standover meets the rider's comfort zone.
I did ride the Kuota in question. It's a small frame and fit me very well. I really don't want to go any smaller than a small frame because, 1) the fit of a small is pretty good, and 2) I really don't want to get into a 650 tire. The bike size is already odd enough. I don't want to complicate matters with weird tire sizes too.
Originally Posted by Eric F
Maybe I missed it before... Did you decide against the bike you were first looking at in this thread?
No. I would just rather the Specialized I linked to in a post a little while back.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-05-22, 07:17 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I did ride the Kuota in question. It's a small frame and fit me very well. I really don't want to go any smaller than a small frame because, 1) the fit of a small is pretty good, and 2) I really don't want to get into a 650 tire. The bike size is already odd enough. I don't want to complicate matters with weird tire sizes too.

No. I would just rather the Specialized I linked to in a post a little while back.
Do you mean a 650b tire? That's not an odd size. Pretty easy to find tires and build wheels that size. I have them on my gravel bike. Remember that a 650b is the same as a 27.5 in mountain bike sizing just as 700c is the same as a 29er in mountain bike sizing. If the bike fits you otherwise and you like it, no reason to disqualify it for 650b wheels and tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.