Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

4700 cable removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

4700 cable removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 03:42 PM
Sargeerts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4700 cable removal

I've gotten the cable out of the housing all the way up to the shifter but I can't get it out of the shifter I don't know how to, all the videos just show you how to get it in but not how to get it out. Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-16-22, 03:57 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Generally, setting the shifter so that the most cable is payed out will align the mechanism with a hole where the head of the cable comes out and where the new one is threaded in. Then just push the inner cable, perhaps twisting it so as to tighten the lay, and it will (should) come out of the hole.
Note that this is exponentially easier than getting it out after the head has broken off.
Old 07-16-22, 04:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Shift to the high gear position and push the cable out. Watch more videos. Like this one:
Use a small screwdriver to pop the clear cover off, then use the screwdriver to get under the cable and pull it out of the housing a bit. Once you get a loop of cable you can pull the rest out of the housing then shove it out of the shifter. It's dead easy.
Old 07-16-22, 08:21 PM
Sargeerts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plate on bottom

Had to remove a plate from the bottom to pull head of cable out of shifter
Old 07-22-22, 05:59 PM
Sargeerts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't get the front derailleur to shift to the big ring. If I load the front derailleur with my hand it will shift the chain up but no matter how tight I pull the cable before tightening the retaining bolt it does not have enough travel to shift up. Cable housing are all the way to the stops and I've fully extended the inline barrel adjuster! I'm lost!
Old 07-22-22, 09:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Undo the cable. Screw the barrel adjuster back in. Make sure the shifter is in the small ring position and then click it a couple more times. Shift to the big cog in back. 'Cheat' the low limit screw in front...adjust it properly then turn it in 3/4 to 1 full turn. Now attach the cable, then back off the low limit til the adjustment is correct. This should get you onto the big ring.
Likes For cxwrench: