Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Suitcases that fit 20" bikes currently

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-16-22, 10:45 AM
Thunder_Tree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend suitcases that fit 20-in folding bikes that are currently being sold? There are quite a few great recommendations in old threads here, but all of those suitcases seem to be out of production.
Old 08-16-22, 11:28 AM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Thunder_Tree
Can anyone recommend suitcases that fit 20-in folding bikes that are currently being sold? There are quite a few great recommendations in old threads here, but all of those suitcases seem to be out of production.
Well, that is going to depend upon what your really looking for. The Samsonite f'lite 31 is popular, and still readily available, but it is an oversized bag and you do run the risk of paying an additional $175 oversized bag fee. But, this would require the gate agent to make the monumental effort to measure your bag.

What bike are you trying to pack?
Old 08-16-22, 12:01 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis
Well, that is going to depend upon what your really looking for. The Samsonite f'lite 31 is popular, and still readily available, but it is an oversized bag and you do run the risk of paying an additional $175 oversized bag fee. But, this would require the gate agent to make the monumental effort to measure your bag.
F'lite in 31" size is now the standard travel suitcase for myself and my family, on occasions becoming a container for the 20" BF NWT. In spite of multiple carriers and ends of the world, its size was never challenged. While it is still in the pipeline in the market, some of the offerings are pretty expensive. It should cost under $200. Of course there may be some very cheap offerings too, that need to be checked as potentially fraudulent.
Old 08-16-22, 06:37 PM
Thunder_Tree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinigis

What bike are you trying to pack?
I'm trying to pack a Dahon Mariner D7.
Old 08-16-22, 06:48 PM
Thunder_Tree

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
F'lite in 31" size is now the standard travel suitcase for myself and my family, on occasions becoming a container for the 20" BF NWT. In spite of multiple carriers and ends of the world, its size was never challenged. While it is still in the pipeline in the market, some of the offerings are pretty expensive. It should cost under $200. Of course there may be some very cheap offerings too, that need to be checked as potentially fraudulent.
It appears that the F'Lite is being phased out. It's no longer stocked on most sites, and Amazon US only offers it for $400. (And it's not available in my country at all).
Old 08-16-22, 07:11 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
You can sometimes find the Samsonite Oyster in second hand stores, or on E-Bay.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-16-22, 07:58 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

It appears that the F'Lite is being phased out. It's no longer stocked on most sites, and Amazon US only offers it for $400. (And it's not available in my country at all).
What country are you in? We bought our first F'Lite in Europe, where they were pretty common. In the US, these cases seemed to be available only from on-line vendors. When I needed to get replacement parts at some point, I needed to get them from UK.
Old 08-17-22, 10:29 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations, but as a Brompton owner who has flown with oversize suitcases, they never check for size. Right now they are half price. As a Zizzo owner myself, I am tempted, but I have a Brompton with a compatible suitcase already.
Old 08-17-22, 03:02 PM
Pinigis 

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations, but as a Brompton owner who has flown with oversize suitcases, they never check for size. Right now they are half price. As a Zizzo owner myself, I am tempted, but I have a Brompton with a compatible suitcase already.
Yes, definitely oversized....actually HUGE. It is 77.2" (L+W+H) vs. the 62" limit applied by most airlines. I don't know that you are going to sneak that one past the gate agent.
Old 08-21-22, 06:50 PM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
You can sometimes find the Samsonite Oyster in second hand stores, or on E-Bay.
If I recall correctly, the Oyster suitcases are quite narrow. Maybe around 8" or 9" internally which makes it tough to fit your average 20" folder, but maybe it's possible.

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
You could look into a Zizzo suitcase. According to their website, a Zizzo will fit without disassembly. It is quite likely to be oversize per US airline regulations...

I didn't know the the Zizzo suitcase existed. It looks great. $150 seems pretty reasonable. I wonder how rigid the whole thing is. I think you would still want to put some kind of post through the center (pvc pipe for example) to prevent crushing.

The ability to pack the bike without major disassembly sounds VERY appealing. The last thing you want to do when traveling is spend your first and last days unpacking and packing your bike! Depending on how cautious you are, packing a bike into a Flite 31 can be a rather time consuming process. I know others do it fairly quickly, but It takes me forever, but I definitely go completely overboard on padding everything and I disassemble the bike quite a bit.

Aside from the size, the other concern I would have is that the case itself is 23.5 lbs. Lots of 20" folders are in the 25 lb ballpark. This would put you quite close to the 50 lb airline limit with no room for extra stuff.

Food for thought

Last edited by Hinge; 08-21-22 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-21-22, 07:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Originally Posted by Hinge
If I recall correctly, the Oyster suitcases are quite narrow. Maybe around 8" or 9" internally which makes it tough to fit your average 20" folder, but maybe it's possible.
The Oyster suitcases have an odd taper to them. They were the suitcase of choice for the Bike Friday perhaps 20 years ago. It is a tight fit. I haven't seen any official instructions, but I usually pull both wheels, remove the pedals, and split the handlebars, then start packing. I can get the whole bike in the suitcase. Technically the trailer frame and wheels are also supposed to fit inside with the bicycle, but I've never quite gotten it that tightly packed.
Old 08-21-22, 07:57 PM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The Oyster suitcases have an odd taper to them. They were the suitcase of choice for the Bike Friday perhaps 20 years ago. It is a tight fit. I haven't seen any official instructions, but I usually pull both wheels, remove the pedals, and split the handlebars, then start packing. I can get the whole bike in the suitcase. Technically the trailer frame and wheels are also supposed to fit inside with the bicycle, but I've never quite gotten it that tightly packed.
Wow, that's good to know. I see them all the time going for next to nothing. I should get one and see if I can fit a bike in there.
Old 08-21-22, 08:32 PM
2_i 

I should throw in the ergonomics of a suitcase. A suitcase with 4 spinner wheels is very easy to handle on flat, reasonably smooth surfaces. An old-style 2-wheel suitcase such as Oyster is a drag under the same circumstances. Of course, when the surfaces are coarse and consistent rolling is not possible, both suitcase types become a similar drag.
Old 10-01-22, 12:32 AM
kwantani

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
https://euromini.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...fly-somewhere-

Likes For kwantani:
Old 10-01-22, 07:01 AM
Pinigis 

it depends upon the bike.
Old 10-01-22, 07:33 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
https://usa.dahon.com/products/foldi...case-20-wheels

Note: there are two sizes. This is the bigger one ↑ This is the smaller one ↓

Old 10-05-22, 11:25 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Thanks for the share.
I am just packing my daughter's bike for a trip and this is good reference.
I need to rework on how I DIY her bag box to be this small or a bit bigger. (current one is too big, w/o removing tires )
Old 10-19-22, 02:55 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I have the samsonite oyster. I found it at a thrift store for $7 after much searching. It is quite tricky to fit my helios in it. I am not sure if I'd have figure out how to fit it all in unless I'd found directions from someone who had worked it out. It is enough of a pain to get in the case that I worry about TSA getting it back in if they ever unpack it. To that end I pack detailed packing instructions in the case with a bold note indicating what they are. I still worry so I include my cell number.

Many domestic US airlines no longer charge oversize fees for bikes. They fly as one of your regular bags with no extra fee. For many folks that may eliminate the need for worry about case size. It may even eliminate the need to take a folding bike at all if baggage fees are a major factor in that decision. I choose airlines that offer free oversize baggage for bikes even when not flying with one.
Old 10-25-22, 11:43 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
You don't give your location nor have you identified the bike. My suggestion is to look for a Marshall's, T.J. Max, Home Goods, Sierra Trading Post, all the same mother company, and take your bike in and try out their selections. All four have large luggage departments that constantly change and they are essentially outlet stores with reduced prices. They also often feature close outs so they sometimes have hard to find models. There is one other related company, but the name escapes me at the moment.
Old 10-27-22, 08:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Hinge
Wow, that's good to know. I see them all the time going for next to nothing. I should get one and see if I can fit a bike in there.
One of the key things with my Helios was to twist the fork to get one fork leg between the rear dropouts.

Here are the directions I included in the case when I loaned my Helios to a friend who took it to Spain:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/0...f=true&sd=true

This works for the Helios and the Samsonite Oyster. The entire bike fits in the case. Packing is a bit of a pain, but it all fits. It may work of other models, or not. You'll need to try it and see.
Likes For staehpj1: