Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Torn rotator cuff repair surgery

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Torn rotator cuff repair surgery

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 04:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
RC surgery update:

Today marks 133 days post RC surgery. I am happy to report that I am back on the saddle.................................I am happy to report, however, that the last few rides have been fantastic.........................................Yesterday, I took my beloved 1989 Bottecchia out for a ride. She feels so right under me.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 05-05-23, 06:14 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 444 Posts
my favorite thing about the ice machine was the naps from the white noise it generated haha
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 05-05-23, 09:21 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
my favorite thing about the ice machine was the naps from the white noise it generated haha
Yeah, you are right. That brrrrr noise was soothing.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-05-23, 09:22 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Thanks!
Old 05-05-23, 10:50 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I wish they really told my wife about it when she had her should replacement surgery. you think yours was bad that was horrible.
I am sorry that your wife had a difficult recovery. It is never fun.

My surgery and recovery went well. For years, I have been using a WaterRower rowing machine. That may have helped with the recovery. The surgeon had initially told my wife and I that recovery would take up to 12 months, but it ended up being significantly less.

Good luck to your wife. How is she doing now?
Old 05-05-23, 10:51 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by delbiker1
I am glad your recovery is going well. Mine was quite miserable, for quite a while.
I am sorry to hear that. Recovery from RC can be miserable and difficult.

How are you doing now?
Old 05-05-23, 11:44 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I am sorry to hear that. Recovery from RC can be miserable and difficult.

How are you doing now?
I am ok, 12 years post-op. I never got full range of motion back, but it is not bad. I really have to be aware of the amount of physical labor I am doing, especially if weight is involved. That is my right shoulder. My left shoulder has issues now. There may be a slight tear in the RC. but I have cyst deep in the joint, below the notch where the collarbone connects to the shoulder. At times, it is very painful, especially if I have slept on it in an odd position. It is not to the point of needing surgery, and surgery is not going to happen unless/until it gets to the point that the pain is extreme, and, it overall is greatly affecting my life in a negative way.
Old 05-05-23, 11:58 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Shoulders can be more of a PITA than actual pita pains.
Old 05-25-23, 05:37 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Recovery depends a great deal on how well you tolerate pain. I had a great PT who had been on the Giants baseball team working on their pitchers and I had him do whatever he thought was best for my recovery. A great deal of pain during the three times a week sessions with him but by the end of the month I was OK and no longer needed the PT.

After many visits with doctors and physical therapists for rotator cuff injuries, it was not until I read an article in a newspaper that I learned why the repeated injuries. The rotator cuff muscles are some of the smallest and weakest in the upper body and not designed for heavy loads. Any weight that is above shoulder height puts stress on these muscles and any repetitive activity will cause tears in these muscles. I learned to avoid any activity that requires repetitions with these muscles and have been injury free for years.
Old 05-28-23, 10:22 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Calsun
Recovery depends a great deal on how well you tolerate pain. I had a great PT who had been on the Giants baseball team working on their pitchers and I had him do whatever he thought was best for my recovery. A great deal of pain during the three times a week sessions with him but by the end of the month I was OK and no longer needed the PT.

After many visits with doctors and physical therapists for rotator cuff injuries, it was not until I read an article in a newspaper that I learned why the repeated injuries. The rotator cuff muscles are some of the smallest and weakest in the upper body and not designed for heavy loads. Any weight that is above shoulder height puts stress on these muscles and any repetitive activity will cause tears in these muscles. I learned to avoid any activity that requires repetitions with these muscles and have been injury free for years.
A knowledgeable surgeon plus an experienced PT person are key. I am back on my bike, riding and climbing, well ahead of schedule!