Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

High PSA

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-23, 01:07 PM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
High PSA

Monday I saw my cardiologist. He is also my internist. Six years ago he saved my life. After undergoing knee surgery, I complained that I did not feel well. The next day I had quadruple bypass surgery. That has worked out well.
The lab results came back. Everything was perfect except for the PSA. I usually stay around 4. This time it was 5.9. I am 76.My father had prostate cancer and died at 94 from something else. I really would like to ignore it.
Thanks for listening
Likes For daniell:
Old 04-26-23, 01:31 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Did you get a Gleason Score number?

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-26-23, 01:33 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Did you get a Gleason Score number?
To tell you the truth, I don't know what that is.
Old 04-26-23, 01:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Gleason grading system Information | Mount Sinai - New York

Old 04-26-23, 01:41 PM
daniell

Thanks, I did not have a biopsy.
Old 04-26-23, 01:59 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,767 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
Thanks, I did not have a biopsy.
I am now 63. About 2.5 years ago I scored a PSA of 5.9. That led to me getting a prostate biopsy. I came back with a Gleason Score of 4+4=8.

The first number is a measurement of the aggresiveness of the cancer cells. 4 is worse than 3, etc. Grade 4 cells are more abnormal and more likely to spread than grade 3 cells.

Grade group 1: Gleason score 6 or lower (low-grade cancer)
Grade group 2: Gleason score 3 + 4 = 7 (medium-grade cancer)
Grade group 3: Gleason score 4 + 3 = 7 (medium-grade cancer)
Grade group 4: Gleason score 8 (high-grade cancer)
Grade group 5: Gleason score 9 to 10 (high-grade cancer)

To best know how you should proceed you should talk to an Oncologist or Urologist. My $.02

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-25-23 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 04-26-23, 02:30 PM
daniell

I was able to see my neighborhood urologist today. This is what he said. He checked and said that my prostate was not enlarged. He wants me to have another PSA test in 3 months. If it continues to go up. then he will call for a biopsy.
Likes For daniell:
Old 04-26-23, 05:38 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
I was able to see my neighborhood urologist today. This is what he said. He checked and said that my prostate was not enlarged. He wants me to have another PSA test in 3 months. If it continues to go up. then he will call for a biopsy.
It's good that you spoke with your Urologist.

A perspective from a soon to be 73 year old diagnosed 8 years ago as 5+5 or Gleason Score 10 PCa (Prostate Cancer) guy *note that only 5 men out of every 100 IN THE WORLD receive a biopsy Gleason Score of 5+5* ------

After having done much research since being diagnosed and speaking with men from around the World with PCa, I would NOW pursue one of the NON-INVASIVE tests available such as --- https://www.exosomedx.com/ --- instead of waiting 3 more months for a PSA test. Just because your prostate is not enlarged means SQUAT, since there could be the typical age related increase of PSA or something caused irritation of the prostate before the blood sample was taken such as sex, riding a lawnmower, riding a bike, heavy lifting .... or could be the presence of PCa.

ALSO, even if the PSA is elevated, it is not an absolute sign of PCa being present.

Good Luck.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 04-26-23, 06:41 PM
daniell

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
It's good that you spoke with your Urologist.

A perspective from a soon to be 73 year old diagnosed 8 years ago as 5+5 or Gleason Score 10 PCa (Prostate Cancer) guy *note that only 5 men out of every 100 IN THE WORLD receive a biopsy Gleason Score of 5+5* ------

After having done much research since being diagnosed and speaking with men from around the World with PCa, I would NOW pursue one of the NON-INVASIVE tests available such as --- https://www.exosomedx.com/ --- instead of waiting 3 more months for a PSA test. Just because your prostate is not enlarged means SQUAT, since there could be the typical age related increase of PSA or something caused irritation of the prostate before the blood sample was taken such as sex, riding a lawnmower, riding a bike, heavy lifting .... or could be the presence of PCa.

ALSO, even if the PSA is elevated, it is not an absolute sign of PCa being present.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing quite a bit of cycling. Also, before the blood test, I did quite a bit of exercise. I wanted to get a low glucose number. It was 93.
Old 05-25-23, 05:41 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Your doctor should have recommended a stool sample test for blood. A kit is provided that includes a small plastic vial that is mailed to the lab. It is far better than the standard PSA test at detecting a possible prostrate problem.

Best preventative steps are to eliminate milk and dairy from your diet and minimize alcohol consumption. Avoiding red meat and processed meats should be a given.

At least with the new lasers one can have the prostrate removed surgically with a much shorter recovery time, as in days.
Old 05-27-23, 01:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Your doctor should have recommended a stool sample test for blood. A kit is provided that includes a small plastic vial that is mailed to the lab. It is far better than the standard PSA test at detecting a possible prostrate problem.

Best preventative steps are to eliminate milk and dairy from your diet and minimize alcohol consumption. Avoiding red meat and processed meats should be a given.

At least with the new lasers one can have the prostrate removed surgically with a much shorter recovery time, as in days.
Old 05-28-23, 06:39 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun

Why don't you lie prostrate on the floor for a minute while I try to clean up some of the mess you've made. First, a stool test is for Colon Cancer screening, not Prostate Cancer. Second, the dietary guidelines are too little too late for someone in their 70's. It is what it is. As to the o.p. My GP is Agnostic on the whole PSA thing. Don't look for trouble IOW. That's him. PC is what is listed as cause of death on my fathers Death Certificate. He was 94 as well.

I'm 65 and I have been getting annual PSA's for the last 10 years. The most recent was 1.2. That's where it usually sits. it used to be .877 years ago. I would be concerned about 4 going to 5.6 in one year and I'm not that sure that three months will make any difference one way or another. A biopsy is in your future. What you do with that information is the thing. I haven't had to confront that reality yet. It sounds like you don't really want to. I don't blame you but it is what it is. Talk to people. Get second, third opinions. Calsun is right on one point: surgeries are a lot less invasive now than then. And surgery, early, is the best way to deal with any kind of Cancer. It's all the chemo and radiation and allied therapies that cause the problems. Don't let them do that to you.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-29-23, 07:17 AM
daniell

I read that cycling can cause an elevated PSA number. I will be 77 soon. To quote my brother, I have to die from something. If I die from prostate cancer, nobody would say that I died a young man.
Old 05-29-23, 07:41 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Just me at 78, but I wouldn't wait three months for another PSA test. Friend had a major jump in PSA numbers and was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer that has migrated to his lymph nodes. He is undergoing intensive treatment, prognosis is not good but a three month delay would have been fatal.

I hope your number is result of your active lifestyle and things work out for the best.

I average over 2000 miles a year on the bike and my last PSA was .96.
Old 05-29-23, 08:05 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Inusuit
Just me at 78, but I wouldn't wait three months for another PSA test. Friend had a major jump in PSA numbers and was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer that has migrated to his lymph nodes. He is undergoing intensive treatment, prognosis is not good but a three month delay would have been fatal.

I hope your number is result of your active lifestyle and things work out for the best.

I average over 2000 miles a year on the bike and my last PSA was .96.
Thanks for your informative reply. I have confidence in my urologist who said that he would want to see it go up in two more tests before ordering a biopsy. On the other side of the coin. sometimes there is over treating that can lead to other problems.
Old 05-29-23, 11:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
I read that cycling can cause an elevated PSA number. I will be 77 soon. To quote my brother, I have to die from something. If I die from prostate cancer, nobody would say that I died a young man.
Anything that mechanically disturbs the prostate, e.g., a good digital exam, can bump the PSA level. I remember being warned about this as medical student, Not as sure about cycling, but why not? I had that concern a few weeks ago when I had my blood drawn the day after a 60 mi ride, but the PSA didn’t budge.
Old 05-29-23, 04:58 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
A member of this group and a personal friend with whom I have done many rides died from prostate cancer a couple of years ago. He was very health and wellness oriented. It happens, don't avoid the tests and whatever. We don't need anyone else leaving us. Good luck
Old 06-28-23, 08:38 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
A member of this group and a personal friend with whom I have done many rides died from prostate cancer a couple of years ago. He was very health and wellness oriented. It happens, don't avoid the tests and whatever. We don't need anyone else leaving us. Good luck
Completely agree. History in my family. Diagnosed at 55 in 2021 with prostate cancer. Was scored a 3+4 on the Gleason score. PSA had gone from 3.5 to 7.5 in a year. After a 2 point jump in 6 months I opted for surgery. Pathology report came back with Gleason 4+3 and stage 3 cancer as it had gotten into the seminal vesicles. No lymph node involvement. I was glad I stayed up on regular tests and screening.

18 months later my PSA is on the rise again and I'll be looking at radiation more than likely in the near future. Doc and I will discuss next week.

Don't ignore the chance to be proactive for your health.

Old 07-14-23, 06:23 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
I was diagnosed at 52 with a Gleason 3+5. My prostate was removed and pathology indicated cells in the margin. Six years later, my PSA started doubling every 6 months and had radiation and hormone treatments. Ten years later and I have metastasis in my lymph system and still spreading albeit slowly due to hormone treatments which are quickly becoming less and less effective. IOW, more meds are in my future.

I wish I had a $1 for all the times people have poo-pooed prostate cancer like it was nothing. Men continue to die out of ignorance and it can be a terrible death.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-14-23, 07:20 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I was diagnosed at 52 with a Gleason 3+5. My prostate was removed and pathology indicated cells in the margin. Six years later, my PSA started doubling every 6 months and had radiation and hormone treatments. Ten years later and I have metastasis in my lymph system and still spreading albeit slowly due to hormone treatments which are quickly becoming less and less effective. IOW, more meds are in my future.

I wish I had a $1 for all the times people have poo-pooed prostate cancer like it was nothing. Men continue to die out of ignorance and it can be a terrible death.
Are you considered to have MCRPCa Metastatic Castrate Resistant Prostate Cancer?? Probably not yet but if so you might possibly consider BAT Bipolar Androgen Therapy --

https://www.urotoday.com/video-lectu...-denmeade.html

I am a 5+5 since 2015 and met free as of latest PYLARIFY PSMA Pet Scan. Also am at HSPCa Hormone Sensitive Prostate Cancer so have been experimenting on my own with a semi state of BAT.
Old 07-14-23, 08:07 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Are you considered to have MCRPCa Metastatic Castrate Resistant Prostate Cancer?? Probably not yet but if so you might possibly consider BAT Bipolar Androgen Therapy --

https://www.urotoday.com/video-lectu...-denmeade.html

I am a 5+5 since 2015 and met free as of latest PYLARIFY PSMA Pet Scan. Also am at HSPCa Hormone Sensitive Prostate Cancer so have been experimenting on my own with a semi state of BAT.
That is interesting stuff. It would be great to get some T back.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 07-31-23, 01:55 PM
daniell

I saw the urologist today. He wants me to take another PSA test after being off of the bike for 7 days.
Old 07-31-23, 03:29 PM
OldTryGuy

I saw the urologist today. He wants me to take another PSA test after being off of the bike for 7 days.
Good deal. Update if you feel so inclined. Good LUCK.
Old 07-31-23, 04:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Elevated PSA without prostate enlargement is suspicious. Studies have been unable to prove that cycling causes prostate PSA elevations. But if that's the case in the future a recumbent bike might be in the planning.

Remember things like this need to be evaluated by an Oncology Team!

Not just a Urologist.

Cancer is cancer and prostate problems are just prostate problems...
Old 07-31-23, 04:18 PM
daniell

In two weeks I will have cataract surgery. The doctor informed that I should stay off of the bike for a week after the surgery. That is when I plan another PSA test.
I often get overwhelmed with all of these procedures. I also have knee problems. At least the cardiologist described my EKG as beautiful. That is more than 6 years after quadruple bypass surgery.
Likes For daniell:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.