Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheelset Questions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Wheelset Questions

Old 05-27-23, 06:31 PM
spinconn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Wheelset Questions

I am shopping for an alloy wheelset for my Giant Contend AR that will be a noticeable improvement over the stock Giant SR2 Disc wheelset, and I am a bit confused after all the reading I have done from online sources. Usually, I can see certain comments repeated from different sources and get a sense of some sort of consensus on what products are good. E.g., with groupsets, you often read that the Shimano 105 is the "sweet spot" for a good price and performance balance, or with bikes there are numerous reviews with specific pro and con items identified. With wheelsets I am seeing anything but a consensus or any detailed reviews that sound like more than advertising copy.

So far, I have identified the Hunt 4 Season Disc wheelset for under $400, with a weight of 1588 grams as a likely candidate. I know I can ask Hunt these questions, and I will, but any input from BF members will be appreciated. Generally, is it a good wheelset that is likely to make a noticeable difference over the factory set? Is that a reasonable weight or need I go to a much more expensive option in order to get a meaningful weight difference? I cannot find the Giant stock wheelset weight listed anywhere so I don't even know what I am starting with.

I assume I need to ensure that it is compatible with my Claris 8 speed groupset, my disc brakes, and my through axles, though it looks like it will be except, possibly, the 8-speed cassette. I recently mounted 32cm Continental GP5000 tires, with latex tubes, on my bike and was very pleasantly surprised at the degree of improvement and would like to use the same tires on a new set.

I would also like to identify other brands that might be a rough equivalent. I have been looking at Shimano's but other than price, I cannot determine how similar they may be in quality or features.

I have read several putative wheelset guides online (Ultimate Shimano Wheels Guide and Hierarchy, etc.) and am no less confused. Any suggestions for <500 dollar wheelsets? Any other specific things I need to worry about?

PS, no need to warn me that I am wasting money on a cheap bike. I love the frame and it is part of the hobby I love to spend a little more changing the bike a bit here and there.
Old 05-27-23, 08:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
Is there an improvement are you hoping for beyond weight? What is the weight of your current wheels? In general, you'll probably have at least double, maybe triple your budget for any noticeable difference.
Old 05-27-23, 08:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
OP: If you don't know how to ascertain which wheels are compatible with your drivetrain, I think you should go to a shop (ideally the shop at which you purchased the bike) for help with choosing a new wheelset.

And even though you don't want to hear it, you will be spending money in an attempt to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Rather than upgrading a bunch of parts, you'd be better off (economically) by just buying a better bike and relegating your old one to the trainer or for rainy day riding.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-27-23, 10:43 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
I assume one could find (used?) semi-deep carbon wheels for around that budget that would at least provide some additional aero benefits at a similar weight as these Hunt wheels?
Old 05-27-23, 10:46 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Wouldn't be surprised if the stock wheels were north of 2kg. Almost anything would be an upgrade. I think 1500g is a good target for a new wheelset, so the wheels you mentioned aren't far off. The rotors will either be 6 bolt or centerlock but even if the two wheels have different rotor interfaces you can just get new rotors to match the wheel. As far as the cassette, 8-11sp Shimano all have the same interface; you may need to add a spacer or two to use the 8sp cassette with an 11sp freehub. Your tires and tubes should be just a straight swap.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-28-23, 07:58 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 224 Posts
Tomorrow, our club is doing a 50 mile to the ice cream festival.

My new wheels have not arrived yet, so in the spirit of this discussion I figure that I will be 3rd in line instead of 2nd. At normal guy level, that is the amount of improvement you will get.

But the return trip, with a belly full of peanut cluster toffee crunch....probably last.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-28-23, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Wheels won't improve your ride comfort if that is what you are seeking better wheels for. Get better tires for that.

If you do a lot of riding at a high speed that has tight turns and other technical things to challenge you then you might need a better set of wheels that lets you feel the road better. Otherwise, weight will likely be the only benefit, and that might not be much depending on what exact model rims and hubs are on your bike right now. Some alloy rims aren't very much heavier than some carbon rims.

So again if your demands for cornering performance and being able to sense the road through your bike isn't one of your needs and talents yet, then just ride some more and save the money for a better bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-28-23, 09:51 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
You'll notice a difference in weight and hub engagement on those Hunts, but I would recommend finding a wheelset with wider outer rim width to pair with 32mm tires. I have a Hunt Aero Disc Light wheelset with 32mm GP 5K TLs and they're noticeably bad in crosswinds and feel unstable, enough so that I'd rather use a heavier DT Swiss wheelset with slower and heavier 35mm Pirelli Cinturato Velos on my foul weather bike.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-31-23, 07:19 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Shimano WH-RS100, WH-RS500, or SuperTeam, are great options for <$500
Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 05-31-23, 10:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Wheels won't improve your ride comfort if that is what you are seeking better wheels for.
Unless you buy wheels with wider internal width. Even the same tire can be run on wider wheels at slightly lower pressures which may be better for both comfort and handling.
Old 06-01-23, 08:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Unless you buy wheels with wider internal width. Even the same tire can be run on wider wheels at slightly lower pressures which may be better for both comfort and handling.
Not quite certain I agree. You might drop the pressure 4 or 5 PSI for a rim that is 4 mm wider internally, but the same road forces are still going into the rim/wheel at that lower pressure.

But maybe you are correct. I'm not certain 5 PSI would be that noticeable a change in ride comfort. And if you are claiming the PSI should be dropped much lower then you could have just dropped the pressure for the tire on the original rim.

Zinn talked about heat build up on rims and some vs rim size and some of what little of the discussion I understood is what gives me cause to doubt you..

Technical FAQ: The science of tire pressure, rim width, and heat buildup

Last edited by Iride01; 06-01-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 08:31 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
I can't comment on comparisons to your existing wheels, but I think the Hunt Four Season Disc set will be quite good. I have Hunt's Four Season Aero (rim brake) wheels on my bike, and I like them a lot. They're very similar to the ones you're looking at. Hunt gives good customer service, they build a quality product, and their prices seem to be in the sweet spot for avid recreational riders. This has been my experience, anyway. I'm sure there are other options that would work just as well. The question still remains: What are you hoping to achieve by replacing your existing wheels?
Old 06-01-23, 10:58 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 978 Posts
Not quite certain I agree. You might drop the pressure 4 or 5 PSI for a rim that is 4 mm wider internally, but the same road forces are still going into the rim/wheel at that lower pressure.

But maybe you are correct. I'm not certain 5 PSI would be that noticeable a change in ride comfort. And if you are claiming the PSI should be dropped much lower then you could have just dropped the pressure for the tire on the original rim.
On Silca's tire pressure calculator (SILCA Professional Tire Pressure Calculator) I selected the following parameters:

Total System Weight: 220 lbs.
Surface Condition: New Pavement
Wheel Diameter: 700C/29"
Average Speed: Recreational
Measured Tire Width: 25 mm
Tire Type: Mid-Range casing butyl tube
Weight Distribution: 48/52 (road bikes)

The calculator returns: 94.5 PSI rear, 92.5 PSI front.
Keeping all parameters the same except increasing Measured Tire Width to 26 mm results in 89 PSI rear, 87 PSI front.
Keeping all parameters the same except increasing Measured Tire Width to 27 mm results in 84 PSI rear, 82 PSI front.

If I recall correctly, going from 17 mm IW to 19 mm IW increased the measured width of a slightly used GP5K (having a nominal width of 25 mm) from 25 mm to 26 mm.
For comparison, BRR testing 25 mm wide tubeless tires (which have stiffer sidewalls) shows a 1.7 mm increase in tire width going from 18C to 22C wheels. The Rim Width Test | Bicycle Rolling Resistance

I can feel a 5 PSI difference; whether that significantly affects comfort is a more difficult question.

So, if one is increasing internal wheel width by 4 mm as you originally posited, Silca would suggest a 10 PSI decrease, while BRR would suggest a 10-12 PSI decrease.

Zinn talked about heat build up on rims and some vs rim size and some of what little of the discussion I understood is what gives me cause to doubt you..

Technical FAQ: The science of tire pressure, rim width, and heat buildup
I must have read too many Technical FAQs recently; I cannot access that site anymore.