Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TT vs aero road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TT vs aero road bike

Old 05-24-23, 03:34 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz

I’m envisioning it like this but without the aerobars. Like 15% of these bikes I’ve seen have the spinergies on them LOL everyone has the same idea as me.
I see that picture and I throw up in my mouth just a little.

Everything about that bike--the Spinergy wheels especially, but the rest of it generally--makes me think 20% cool and 80% icky. It's like Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. I don't hate it, but I think the only reason I kind of like it is because it evokes feelings of nostalgia. At least it's not as gross as the yellow one pictured farther up.

Edit: Just noticed it's a single speed. You don't need something that aero with a single speed. (Alternatively, I could say you need more gears on something that aero.)

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-24-23 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 04:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10248 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts

I’m envisioning it like this but without the aerobars. Like 15% of these bikes I’ve seen have the spinergies on them LOL everyone has the same idea as me.
Now picture a 260 lb guy on that skinny little beam trying to spin 130 rpm while the seat wobbles up and down and side to side. Now put that in a group ride with 30 or so other riders.

Oh, yeah - also imagine the Spinergy wheels are 650s.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-24-23, 04:46 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Do the UCI rules still prohibit anything on the bike with a sole purpose of reducing drag? Before carbon fiber rims became affordable and refined to the high extent we see today, lots of folks rode those aluminum rims with thin carbon fairings. But I understand they were illegal in sanctioned competition. You could have an all-carbon rim with good aero characteristics, but putting on that fairing was not allowed, because it wasn't structurally necessary, therefore its only purpose was to improve the aero.
No fairings, yes. Triathlon also "bans" fairings, but their definition is much wider, which is why the Shiv Tri exists with its nosecone.
Old 05-24-23, 05:13 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by genejockey
Now picture a 260 lb guy on that skinny little beam trying to spin 130 rpm while the seat wobbles up and down and side to side. Now put that in a group ride with 30 or so other riders.
Right?

What’s wrong with a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post if you really need some suspension? (Or a Specialized CGR… or just a Trek frame with IsoSpeed)

So many good bikes these days, there’s no reason to turn to the bizarre experiments of yesteryear.
Old 05-24-23, 05:15 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Years ago I was riding with two friends (both of them better riders than me), slowly grinding up a three mile canyon road with an average grade of 8%. One friend, who is powerful but a bit stocky, said to the other, "I wish I had your heart and lungs." He replied, "I wish I had your legs." I told them, "If I had his heart and lungs, your legs, and my build, I'd be world class!" All I have going for me are a thin build and easy ability to maintain 160 lbs.
Ya, about 40 years ago on a training ride while out to watch the World Road Championships, I was riding up a long somewhat shallow 4-5% climb and the Italian Team comes by like they were walking and chatting in the park with the hands flying, it made me sad how slow I was in comparison until they waved me onto their wheels. Very humbling, sort of like today when I was playing pickup hockey practice and two college players and a pro were doing sprints at the end, the youngest kid who is always very nice to me says, "you want to race with us?"....disheartening to say the least, they were at the goaline and I wasn't to the top of the faceoff circle (No, not center ice, haha). There is always someone faster but everyone is faster than me now.

Back to Larry, a TT vs aero road bike differential is about 10% of what getting old does to your speed. I would def get the aero road and would get the one with the most compliant seatpost.
Old 05-24-23, 05:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Right?

What’s wrong with a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post if you really need some suspension? (Or a Specialized CGR… or just a Trek frame with IsoSpeed)

So many good bikes these days, there’s no reason to turn to the bizarre experiments of yesteryear.
How about a carbon fiber pennyfarthing with disk wheels and tri bars?

Old 05-24-23, 05:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Ya, about 40 years ago on a training ride while out to watch the World Road Championships, I was riding up a long somewhat shallow 4-5% climb and the Italian Team comes by like they were walking and chatting in the park with the hands flying, it made me sad how slow I was in comparison until they waved me onto their wheels. Very humbling, sort of like today when I was playing pickup hockey practice and two college players and a pro were doing sprints at the end, the youngest kid who is always very nice to me says, "you want to race with us?"....disheartening to say the least, they were at the goaline and I wasn't to the top of the faceoff circle (No, not center ice, haha). There is always someone faster but everyone is faster than me now.

Back to Larry, a TT vs aero road bike differential is about 10% of what getting old does to your speed. I would def get the aero road and would get the one with the most compliant seatpost.
And then they stuck a pump in your spokes, right?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-24-23, 05:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by genejockey
How about a carbon fiber pennyfarthing with disk wheels and tri bars?
While we’re at it, might as well make it a recumbent trike. With a banana seat, like a Schwinn Stingray.
Old 05-24-23, 05:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

While we’re at it, might as well make it a recumbent trike. With a banana seat, like a Schwinn Stingray.
And ape hangers.

With tassels.

Old 05-24-23, 06:09 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
The seat should stay fixed in position, because of my ultra smooth zero loss pedaling style that this bicycle will help refine.

i feel like I’m doing a poor job explaining my vision, sorry.
Old 05-24-23, 06:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by Koyote
If someone showed up for our group ride on that bike, I'd stay away. Far away.
it’s a TT bike with explosive wheels, I’d just ride it around town. Maybe flex on the gangs of teens that congregate on bikes at the town square. Might ride it to work but going fast would be pushing it.
Old 05-24-23, 07:58 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
The beam on that Softride also has a weight rating. They came in 3 varieties. None up to 260lbs as far as I know.

They are fast AF. The shop had an aluminum one I rode for a minute before parting it out when it didn't sell. Then donated the frame after 18 months of hard push on my own sales floor. Basically the other shop accepted it when I told them I was going to leave the frame leaned against the telephone pole outside their front door.

Cool, but not for me. No market. If you pay over $100 to the seller in as pictured condition, he's going to be ecstatic.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-24-23, 08:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
The seat should stay fixed in position, because of my ultra smooth zero loss pedaling style that this bicycle will help refine.

i feel like I’m doing a poor job explaining my vision, sorry.
Maybe if you passed out acid tabs that vision would be super clear for everyone. That all being said, don't do drugs kids!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-23, 08:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
How do you refine a pedaling style that is presently zero-loss? It's already perfect ...
Old 05-24-23, 09:14 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How do you refine a pedaling style that is presently zero-loss? It's already perfect ...
I think it’s zero loss, like toudou in the anime yawamushi pedal, but the powerwing would be a visual indicator with the swaying seat or lack of one.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-25-23 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-24-23, 09:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
I think it’s zero loss, like toduo in the anime yawamushi pedal, but the powerwing would be a visual indicator with the swaying seat or lack of one.
I guess somebody already passed out those acid tabs ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-25-23, 10:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Is that black rod part of an ejection seat or a seesaw?
Old 06-02-23, 01:56 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
That bike is cool as hell. As long as the person was keeping up, ride what ever you like.

Live would be boring if we all drove around in the same white Toyota Prius.