Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

More creaking and groaning

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-02-23, 04:16 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts

My modern Canyon developed a loud creak after a tremendous pothole bunny hop. After working on the BB, chainring bolts and everything else I could think of, I got with Canyon and their creaking document.

It was the RD hangar-to-frame that was creaking.

Here's their document on creaking fixes.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/support-articles/fixing_cracking_sounds_and_noises.html

Worked for me.

Last edited by BTinNYC; 06-02-23 at 05:30 AM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 06-02-23, 06:22 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
The creak on my new bike turned out to be from a dry as a bone seatpost. Derailleur hanger would have been far down my list to check. Interesting they didn't mention bottom bracket.
Old 06-02-23, 10:03 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
My modern Canyon developed a loud creak after a tremendous pothole bunny hop. After working on the BB, chainring bolts and everything else I could think of, I got with Canyon and their creaking document.

It was the RD hangar-to-frame that was creaking.

Here's their document on creaking fixes.
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/support...nd_noises.html

Worked for me.
A recent study has shown that as we get older, just getting up out of chairs results in a lot of groaning. Just saying.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-02-23, 12:25 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
A recent study has shown that as we get older, just getting up out of chairs results in a lot of groaning. Just saying.
and.. if you listen real close... quite a bit of creaking too.... with an occasional loud pop, and some minor crunchy sounds.
Old 06-03-23, 06:14 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
That's somewhat helpful but it's not at all a comprehensive list, and indicates a shotgun approach - try all of these things just in case. The first step in solving a problem is narrowing down the possible causes. Without that it's just a guessing game. In the case of creaking, cracking, clicks, etc. this is the list I go through:
1. Does it occur in time with pedal or wheel rotation, or neither (including not pedaling)?
2. Does the timing change at all in different gears?
3. Does it require higher pedal pressure to create it?
4. Does it change with a change in position to put more pressure on front vs. rear wheels, or if you pedal out of the saddle?
5. Did it occur after any change in equipment, maintenance procedure, an accident, or extreme weather?
Once those questions are answered it's much easier to eliminate some causes and focus on the most likely cause and solution.