Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I know it's a Talbot but not much else

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 11:19 AM
LeftCoastJon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts

Hi - I have recently picked up a Talbot and I haven't been able to find out much about it. I was wondering if anyone can shed any light.

I know that this Talbot was from Carleton Cycles in Vancouver 'cos it says so; it hasn't gone very far as I'm on Vancouver Island. As bought:

The frame paintwork is a bit scruffy but no rust. Champion no. 2 tubing, serial # S1 2 255.

Front and rear derailleurs and shifters are Suntour Vx, rear hub is also a Suntour Vx quick release. I've dated some of the components to mid 1980 to early 1981 and what's there seems all very coherent. Skiptooth gears, Sugino cranks, brakes are Suntour Superbe - I guess the brake levers would have been as well before the drops were changed for a flat bar.

The rear wheel is an Araya 700c rim but the front is a Weinman 27 x 1 1/4 (didn't notice that until I got it home, they both have a similar profile). The high flange front hub isn't marked Suntour Vx, I'll have to see if I can find a name when I clean it up. If it's not Suntour like the rear, the hub is probably not that far off period (?) so maybe I'll just get that built into a 700 rim, that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish, I hope.

One part I don't quite get is the vertical drop-outs. If the frame is the same age as the components, 1980/81 seems very early for vertical on a road bike... so I don't know what to make of it all, what to assume is original (if anything). Any guesses?

I have a Nitto Olympiade drop bar and some brake levers to put on it (not Superbe, will keep looking for those). Hopefully I'll get it polished up and riding this summer.

Thanks
Likes For LeftCoastJon:
Old 04-22-23, 11:34 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
vertical DOs were available for years before this frame was built, but never as popular as trad horizontal DOs. I take it these are Japanese bits (either SunTour or Shimano/Tange)?
You want some sort of cap nut for the Superbe front caliper, looks like the rear has the OEM conical one, but a regular acorn nut with correct threading would work.
Looks like a nice rider in very good condition! Maybe that serial number will point to who built "Talbots", for someone like T-Mar
Old 04-22-23, 11:45 AM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by unworthy1
I take it these are Japanese bits (either SunTour or Shimano/Tange)?
Yeah, everything that matches is SunTour Vx. I have another bike of similar vintage with SunTour Cyclone II and I really like it all, it was actually all the SunTour stuff on this one that really piqued my interest (beyond it just being an interesting '80s steel road bike).

Later: Wait, do you mean the drop-outs themselves? Haven't checked if they're marked, will try to take a look this afternoon.

You want some sort of cap nut for the Superbe front caliper, looks like the rear has the OEM conical one, but a regular acorn nut with correct threading would work.
Ooh, good eye, I hadn't noticed that yet.
Old 04-22-23, 11:50 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 445 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftCoastJon
Hi - I have recently picked up a Talbot and I haven't been able to find out much about it. I was wondering if anyone can shed any light.

One part I don't quite get is the vertical drop-outs. If the frame is the same age as the components, 1980/81 seems very early for vertical on a road bike... so I don't know what to make of it all, what to assume is original (if anything). Any guesses?

Thanks
I used new Shimano vertical dropouts when building my frame in 1976. First ones in town, I believe.

Shimano vertical dropouts circa 1976
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 04-22-23, 12:25 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
Later: Wait, do you mean the drop-outs themselves? Haven't checked if they're marked, will try to take a look this afternoon.
Yes, the DOs might be
Shimano FE-SF21 Vertical Dropout (single eyelet) since Sun Tour verts look quite different.
Campy vertical DOs were available in the early 1960s (but these are not Campy)
Old 04-22-23, 12:41 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I have an earlier Talbot frame. They were a custom Vancouver marque but there was also a Talbot in New England and another in Britain. Mine is 531 with campy horizontal drops.

Likes For clubman:
Old 04-22-23, 12:54 PM
LeftCoastJon

Yes, the DOs might be
Shimano FE-SF21 Vertical Dropout (single eyelet) since Sun Tour verts look quite different.
Rear DOs are Shimano SFR and single eyelet, fronts are Tange TF
Old 04-22-23, 12:56 PM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by clubman
I have an earlier Talbot frame. They were a custom Vancouver marque but there was also a Talbot in New England and another in Britain. Mine is 531 with campy horizontal drops.

Nice frame - your thread was one of the few mentions of Cdn Talbots that I found Do you plan to restore & build it up?
Old 04-22-23, 07:57 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Sorry I didn't read your original post with a clear mind.
I like to keep Canadian frames/bikes but I'll probably move it on. I'm not likely to restore it as it's not my size.
Likes For clubman:
Old 04-22-23, 09:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman

Be aware that a Talbot in New England could have been a frame made by Dick Talbot, a time trial racer out of Boston in the late '70s and maybe into the '80s. We were club mates when I was racing '76-78 and he was just getting into frame buildiing then. I still own a pair of well worn Campy pedals I purchased from him then. 19k miles when I bought them and I put roughly that distance on them again. Memories.
Old 04-23-23, 06:57 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 513 Posts
My FW Evans has the 1960s Campy vertical drop outs. Here's a pic for reference.

1960s Campagnolo vertical drop out
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-23-23, 07:17 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
I'll just add my two cents about the freewheel.

The skip-tooth design on the two largest sprockets narrows it down to either a Shimano or a Maillard. Both companies provided "Schwinn Approved" versions for 1970's era Sports Tourers. Since your Talbot has Shimano dropouts, and Suntour components, it is most likely Shimano, and to my eye appears to be.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 04-23-23 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-23-23, 08:23 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
If anybody wants one I think there is one on vancouver craigslist for $600cdn. It's been up for offer for at least 2 years now. I've seen it at the bike swap a couple of times but I guess no takers yet. Not my size, I think 56 or 57.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 04-23-23, 11:49 AM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I'll just add my two cents about the freewheel.

The skip-tooth design on the two largest sprockets narrows it down to either a Shimano or a Maillard. Both companies provided "Schwinn Approved" versions for 1970's era Sports Tourers. Since your Talbot has Shimano dropouts, and Suntour components, it is most likely Shimano, and to my eye appears to be.
Just checked this morning - after giving it a good wipe, the face of the retainer ring of the freewheel shows an S in a circle and RA, so I assume you were right on it being a Shimano skiptooth freewheel! Thanks
Old 05-02-23, 10:00 PM
LeftCoastJon

I was in the bike shed this evening and took a look at the shifters. I guess I was premature in suggesting they were Suntour Vx like most of the drive train - they're Suntour Power shifters, different to what's shown when I search for images of Vx shifters.

VeloBase info suggests this style is old enough that they could well be same age as the components I have dated, '80-'81, so maybe original? Who knows...
Likes For LeftCoastJon:
Old 05-02-23, 11:18 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
The Vx drivetrains I have seen, mostly on Raleighs and Gazelles of the late seventies and early eighties, always came with Power Shifters. FWIW.

Old 05-03-23, 09:29 AM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by non-fixie
The Vx drivetrains I have seen, mostly on Raleighs and Gazelles of the late seventies and early eighties, always came with Power Shifters. FWIW.
Interesting, thanks - so perhaps they were on there from the start.
Old 05-04-23, 11:55 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
Interesting, thanks - so perhaps they were on there from the start.
I think that is very likely.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-10-23, 10:02 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Talbot was also an automobile marque name in France which became part of Peugeot. Cycles Peugeot made some bicycles under the Talbot marque.

Likes For Hummer:
Old 05-10-23, 10:48 PM
Weaselshark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Talbot was the house brand of Carleton Cycles, which later became Carleton Rescue and Outdoor Equipment I believe. They only just recently closed their doors and last time I had visited (at least 10-12 years ago now) they still had one of the first Talbots on the wall along with some cool old photos and history of the cycling era. They still had some remnants of the frame building shop in the basement, and we’re able to supply me with a set of decals.
I’ve had a few Talbots over the years, wonderful bikes! I’ve also got a photocopy of an old shop catalogue (1978 I believe) and a pair of track wheel covers.
I recently built one up to replace a Talbot I really regretted selling, still need to dial it in and drop the levers…
I believe yours would have been one of the models they contracted for production overseas as I believe all of the Vancouver built frames were Reynolds tubing.
Likes For Weaselshark:
Old 05-10-23, 11:57 PM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by Weaselshark
Talbot was the house brand of Carleton Cycles, which later became Carleton Rescue and Outdoor Equipment I believe. They only just recently closed their doors and last time I had visited (at least 10-12 years ago now) they still had one of the first Talbots on the wall along with some cool old photos and history of the cycling era. They still had some remnants of the frame building shop in the basement, and we’re able to supply me with a set of decals.
I’ve had a few Talbots over the years, wonderful bikes! I’ve also got a photocopy of an old shop catalogue (1978 I believe) and a pair of track wheel covers.
I recently built one up to replace a Talbot I really regretted selling, still need to dial it in and drop the levers…
I believe yours would have been one of the models they contracted for production overseas as I believe all of the Vancouver built frames were Reynolds tubing.
Thanks, sounds like that would have been a neat visit to Carleton. I've had a (brief) search for replacement decals without success so far, you scored there!

I have no 'Talbot' on the downtube but the decals on my seat and head tube match yours, including the 'Designed and built by Carleton Cycles Vancouver BC' one. I realize that doesn't necessarily mean produced the frame, 'built' could mean receiving the manufactured frame and assembling all parts onto it. And if the BC built frames were all Reynolds tubing, mine must have been overseas as you say.

Nice job with that build up, looks great. Was that a repaint?
Old 05-11-23, 09:21 PM
Weaselshark

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Nice job with that build up, looks great. Was that a repaint?
thanks! It’s a beautiful bike, and original paint!
I’d say it’s worth a shot to try shooting them a message through their website?!
https://www.carletonrescue.com/about-us/
looks like they’re operating online out of Vernon now, though maybe an old box of decals got moved out that way, and hopefully not tossed in the trash!
Old 05-11-23, 11:47 PM
LeftCoastJon

Originally Posted by Weaselshark
thanks! It’s a beautiful bike, and original paint!
I’d say it’s worth a shot to try shooting them a message through their website?!
https://www.carletonrescue.com/about-us/
looks like they’re operating online out of Vernon now, though maybe an old box of decals got moved out that way, and hopefully not tossed in the trash!
Ooof, original paint? That thing's a dreamboat

Yeah, I'll shoot them a message, can't hurt.
Old 06-04-23, 11:12 AM
LeftCoastJon

Dismantled everything yesterday for a good clean and freshen up.

Components will clean up nicely - still have Superbe brake pads present.

Forks are full chrome with paint on top.

Frame is covered in scuffs and scrapes but I couldn't find any rust or damage so that's good

I did send a message to Carleton Rescue but didn't hear back. It was a long shot...
Likes For LeftCoastJon:
Old 06-06-23, 03:06 PM
d_dutchison
Classic, Vintage Mechanic

Bikes: '65 Legnano Gran Primeo || '76 Holdsworth Mistral || '82 Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts
Carlton Cycles' Talbot house brand was their top tier bicycle line, composed of either bikes made to Carlton's own specification by Japanese manufacturers (which were equal to the best available Japanese bikes of the time such as the Nishiki Continental or the Fuji pro), or in-house, hand made custom frames built to what ever specification the customer wanted.

Clubman's silver Talbot posted above is an example of one of their hand-builts (the Reynolds tubing being the main give away), yours is probably one of the Japanese imports, though it's hard to say for sure since Talbot didn't mark their hand made frames any differently from the ready made ones. The vertical dropouts and investment-cast fork crown suggest a custom frame, while the paint scheme and tubing choice suggest ready-made. Either way, a really gorgeous bike and the product of a beloved local bike shop.

Likes For d_dutchison:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.