Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Planet Cyclery Patchbook/ Is it just me?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-02-23, 01:43 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

I bought a number of these on sale as part of another order I was making. I cannot get them to stick. I was diligent in scuffing the tire and they still won't stick. I have yet to try to clean the rubber with something prior to patching because I am wanting these for emergency patching. I use the patches with the orange edges when I am home with cement but was wanting something to carry with me without having to carry the cement in the small tubes, which seems to dry up on me. Am I doing something wrong? What do you carry for emergency glueless patches? Patchbook Planet Cyclery Glueless Patch Kit | Specials | Patchbook | PlanetCyclery.com
Old 06-02-23, 01:57 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
the newest, latest, greatest, super- low budget tubes are made out of ridiculously slippery "whatever" and patches won't adhere to them well, if at all....glue or not... roughed up or not... cleaned or not.

they feel "greasy" to the touch, with no signs of actual grease or lube present.
i've had a few fail at their factory seams, and around the valve stem too...... indicating that they don't even stick to themselves when made...

just sayin'....
oh, and temp. patches don't work well if applied to a too-small tube in a larger tire.... especially if the applier is in a hurry...

Last edited by maddog34; 06-02-23 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-02-23, 02:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Push the air out of the glue tube before you put the cap on.
Waste a drop and it'll stay fresh(er).
Old 06-02-23, 04:10 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The Park GP-2 patches seem to work pretty well. They are an improvement over the original version which were hit-and-miss.
Old 06-03-23, 06:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Push the air out of the glue tube before you put the cap on.
Waste a drop and it'll stay fresh(er).
This works. Also, what I do is buy quantities of the small tubes from eBay or other online sources so I have a few on hand at home. I always have a fresh/sealed one in the saddle bag for on the road use** If I happen to use it on the road, I do cap it off like he says above, but leave it at home for use there and put a new fresh one in the bag. I'd rather have a potentially dried out one at home than on the road.

** And I rarely actually use the glue on the road. 999 times out of 1000, I just get one flat on a ride. I simply use in the spare tube on the road and patch the old one at home with a tube of glue at home, virtually never patch a tire on the road. I then put the patched one back on the bike and put the non-patched one back into the saddle bag so i know that the one in the saddle bag doesn't have any patches in it.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-04-23, 02:26 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The Park GP-2 patches seem to work pretty well. They are an improvement over the original version which were hit-and-miss.
Another vote for Park. Some people see them as permanent patches, but on the rare occasion when I get two flats and have to use the Park patch, I peel it off when I get home and replace it with a Rema patch.