Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Diabetics?

Old 10-24-19, 02:07 PM
richardwill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
57, type 2, refuse to take medication!

Doc offered the meds as my A1C was 7.5. Forget the meds, I will control my diet. Dropped down to 6.1, no meds, all eating right and exercise.

I go ride 45 miles, drink 1 or 2 large bike bottles of Gatorade (powder mix). Eat a balanced meal then a couple hours later, my meter reading is 100-105.

I will not take meds unless it is positively mandatory.

From a family of diabetics, they all encourage me to take the meds. DOES ME GOOD they say but looking at them, most being amputees and other more serious problems, no thanks, I'll control my diet and exercise!
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. I've been type 2 since about 2002, have kept my A1C 6.0 to 6.9 by exercise and diet, and I'll be 75yrs in Jan 2020. I had back surgery on Jul26 and finished therapy Sept 29. So I bought a new bike to help my recovery even more, and am just doing health. So I thought I would look into getting a Dexcom CGM to mainly use when I exercise. But the Dexcom web site says that you and your Dr have to certify that you are an insulin user, and that you use insulin at least three times or more daily. So with those script requirements and the cost of the units, I just gave up. Now way for me to qualify. So I'll just have to do finger sticks and eat, etc. while riding. Thanks for your help, Rich
Likes For richardwill:
Old 10-24-19, 03:24 PM
oldfatboy

Bikes: Trek Verve 3, Schwinn Mountain Sidewinder

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thank you all for your posts. They've been informative and helpful.
I was able to ride 900 miles this summer. Wanted to ride 1000, but bike sores and smoke from a forest fire stopped me from riding.
Now, it's rain, cool temps, and moving into winter. Already had 1st snow, but it melted
Probably go back to my small rowing machine for the winter.
I found that I was able to ride 2 to 3 hours comfortably with just water. Afterwards, I'd drink a protein drink, and eat carbs.
Once in a while, I'd eat a banana before riding, getting up at 0530 and heading out.
Likes For oldfatboy:
Old 10-28-19, 06:49 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
57, type 2, refuse to take medication!

Doc offered the meds as my A1C was 7.5. Forget the meds, I will control my diet. Dropped down to 6.1, no meds, all eating right and exercise.

I go ride 45 miles, drink 1 or 2 large bike bottles of Gatorade (powder mix). Eat a balanced meal then a couple hours later, my meter reading is 100-105.

I will not take meds unless it is positively mandatory.

From a family of diabetics, they all encourage me to take the meds. DOES ME GOOD they say but looking at them, most being amputees and other more serious problems, no thanks, I'll control my diet and exercise!
Your situation and outcomes are atypical. Diabetes is a complex illness with variables that change from patient to patient. A good diet and exercise are a good way to keep glucose levels down, but they don’t work all the time for all people.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
Old 10-28-19, 06:52 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by richardwill
Hi Guys, thanks for your replies. I've been type 2 since about 2002, have kept my A1C 6.0 to 6.9 by exercise and diet, and I'll be 75yrs in Jan 2020. I had back surgery on Jul26 and finished therapy Sept 29. So I bought a new bike to help my recovery even more, and am just doing health. So I thought I would look into getting a Dexcom CGM to mainly use when I exercise. But the Dexcom web site says that you and your Dr have to certify that you are an insulin user, and that you use insulin at least three times or more daily. So with those script requirements and the cost of the units, I just gave up. Now way for me to qualify. So I'll just have to do finger sticks and eat, etc. while riding. Thanks for your help, Rich
The Dexcom CGM has been a godsend for me. It is especially helpful when I am going on long rides because it allows me to monitor my blood glucose and see how it fluctuates during the ride.

It is really upsetting that some health insurance companies and the VA will not pay for a potentially life saving device.

Good luck to you...stay healthy.
Old 11-01-19, 11:57 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Your situation and outcomes are atypical. Diabetes is a complex illness with variables that change from patient to patient. A good diet and exercise are a good way to keep glucose levels down, but they don’t work all the time for all people.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
It works for me if I track closely the effects of cortisol, blood sugar spikes immediately following an intense ride. Otherwise, the less intense endurance rides may not stretch my cardio but really help with lowering blood sugar due to less cortisol and time of ride. Riding is great for our health!
Old 12-30-19, 11:48 AM
Andybasi

Bikes: Trek DS4 2020

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also have diabetes type 2. probably since a lot of years ago, but formal diagnosys was done in Feb 2015, while being treated for an heart attack.
I'm managing diabetes with just a pill of Empaglifozin (commercial name is "Jardiance", produced by Boehringer), and a lof of walking (also Nordic Walking), usually I do about 12.000 - 13.000 steps on average each day.
I'm now introducing bike in my fitness routine, I have done biking in last years but never as a substitute of walking, now I'm trying to "diversify" my routine.
I'll keep you updated about results of my efforts....

Kind regards
Andrea
Old 04-25-23, 01:35 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
any updates from this thread? it'd be nice to know how everyone is doing now.
Old 04-25-23, 01:42 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Now 81 y/o.

Taking Tresba 20 ML each Day.
Ozemic 12.5 ML Once a Week.

A1C holding at 5.8

Old 05-24-23, 07:24 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 180 Posts
My type 2 diabetes started after a bout of diverticulitis in 2016. I can not take metformin it tears my stomach up. I take trulicity . I had a bad spell that I could not get my BS down after my second foot surgery . Late June of last year I was 338 with A1C at 9.3 in 6 months I dropped to 5.6 . I have cut 80% of my soda intake, and make better carb choices. At the moment I am plateaued at 297 lbs
Foot issues have effected my riding More than Diabetics I am just getting back to riding. Couple 8 mile rides a week with short rides in-between
My job allows me to talk with nutritionist and every other type of medical professionals daily . My energy crashes around 95 blood glucose levels. I can tell it's there without a test. Not just riding I keep no sugar added apple sauce pouches, and single serving cup of peanut butter. For electrolytes I add a little cranberry juice and lime juice to water around a cup of juice split between 4-5 quart tumblers of water.