Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Sheldon’s kludges for derailerless bikes

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Sheldon’s kludges for derailerless bikes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 04:34 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
Another 100+ miles in.

No problems!

The whole “it will slip and the skewer can’t handle the weight” is a fallacy from those that don’t know any better. It’s no more prone to slip than a nutted axle and there is no weight on the skewer.
Structural steel beam to column connection works the same way. The bolt only is in shear when first connected. Afterwords it’s tightened and the bolt and nut is basically a spring with the friction between I beam web and column clip preventing movement.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 02-07-23, 12:47 AM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes it will slip and not only that, but your chain will also stretch and become longer and make it impossible to get a proper tension, there just isn't enough room for adjustment. A quick release skewer is also not designed to support the weigh of the bike and the rider.
Another few hundred miles in…

No problems yet…
Old 02-09-23, 07:17 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I've wondered why my SS bikes don't have a QR on the front wheel.
It would make it so much easier to quickly remove the wheel and put the bike into my car's hatchback. I might have to look into it......
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 02-12-23, 11:23 AM
mrmb

Originally Posted by wolfchild
It will slip and your chain will loose tension. Get a frame which is designed for SS/FG use.... if this is just a singlespeed conversion, use a chain tensioner.
Another 100miles, no issues…
Likes For mrmb:
Old 03-28-23, 03:51 PM
th3realmckay

Bikes: '14 Leader Renovatio, '96 Trek 1400, '88 Fisher Montare XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 34 Posts
Eventually, your skewer will snap and you will die.
Old 04-03-23, 08:50 AM
mrmb

Originally Posted by th3realmckay
Several hundred miles in since last update.

No problems.
Old 04-03-23, 12:06 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I went back and looked at my mileage log - just on my Mercian, I've logged 7,254 miles using either vintage Campagnolo or M.M. Atom steel quick release skewers with zero problems, over a 16 year period. That doesn't count the miles on my original Raleigh Competition fixed-gear, the early Trek 620, the Peugeot PR-10L or the Falcon San Remo fixed-gear before that - figure another 3k miles or so.

Internal cam q/r skewers are very strong - there's a reason early Campagnolo track hubs used them, and there's a reason their long-handled brethren used for Cambio Corsa and Paris-Roubaix derailleurs worked. I would be interested in finding out if there were ever any actual documented cases of a track rider's q/r being opened by another ride on the track. I'm betting there weren't.
Old 04-03-23, 02:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I've wondered why my SS bikes don't have a QR on the front wheel.
It would make it so much easier to quickly remove the wheel and put the bike into my car's hatchback. I might have to look into it......
I always use road wheels as fronts on my fix gears. (All my riding is road.) The nutted pista front hubs that come in the sets I sometimes have to buy to get that rear sit in a box unused. QRs are simply a better system (with steel skewers and internal cams). I use nutted rear fix gear hubs because all my fix gears have horizontal dropouts and nuts make dialing in the chain slack easy even when I am entirely stupid ... or weak or clumsy. ("Walking" the hub, one nut at a time, will always get you to the correct slack and centered tire.)
Old 04-13-23, 01:52 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Well.... the Cambio Corsa dropouts had a rack of teeth to engage the teeth on the hub axle. Not a good example.
Regardless, it is excessively challenging to refute real data that support the axle/skewer as a non-weight bearing entity. The axle helps position the hub in the DO and the springs support keeping the skewer "open" on both sides when installing the wheel. What is required to keep the DO/axle nut interface from experiencing slippage is the force of the skewer/nut on the other side of the DO. the best solution is a nut or an internal cam skewer, high mechanical advantage equals greater force.
Old 04-16-23, 08:53 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by th3realmckay
200 more miles, no problems
Likes For mrmb: