Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Smaller Singlespeed Suggestions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 08:34 PM
DeeGee15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to give a shout-out to Wabi and to my LBS: I really wanted a 42cm Wabi and my LBS told me there was no way I could find a 650c tire that could handle the goatheads around here, and Wabi told me that the 49cm (which could take Schwalbe Marathons, and thus handle my roads) was definitely too tall and probably too long for me. I'm grateful to both of them for being honest with me and not letting me buy the bike I wanted when it was the wrong size for me.

My LBS is keeping an eye out for a used bike my size, and knows that I want a lightweight singlespeed, ideally under $1,300 or so, but nothing has come up yet. In the meantime, since I'm sad about the Wabi and feel the need to browse specs online: anything I should be looking at? LBS suggested that I check out the All City Nature Boy and I've heard good things about the Soma Rush. Any other great frames/completes that are 49cm or smaller that I could talk to my LBS about or search for on Craigslist?

I'm still bummed out about the Wabi (it was so perfect until I saw the geometry) so feel free to commiserate about the bikes that haven't fit you, as well.
Old 03-27-23, 04:42 AM
arug

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar experience.

Wabi told me the 42cm probably wouldn't work for me, what I really needed was something in between 42 and 49, and that the rack situation (I need a basket(s) for loads or 20lb or more) also probably wouldn't work. One LBS was adamantly against 650B, another LBS said they were viable but would be special order.

I am not sure why Wabi chose to accommodate riders three or more standard deviations below the mean but not two (surely there are more of us, actually I am 1.8 standard deviations below the mean for a man in the USA) but that helped me to rule them out. Shame. You would think with limited production runs they could fix this but I am guessing that there are design difficulties when using 700C tires with a 45-46 cm frame that they didn't want to deal with.

I, too, got a rec for All City but I don't want to spend that much.

The previous model State 4130 single speeds had 46cm and 49cm, which are a lot smaller than the current (2022 and post-) production run. The frame isn't as high quality as what you would like but other parts can be upgraded as necessary. You can find both new and old geometry charts at the State website.
Old 03-28-23, 04:59 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeGee15
I have to give a shout-out to Wabi and to my LBS: I really wanted a 42cm Wabi and my LBS told me there was no way I could find a 650c tire that could handle the goatheads around here, and Wabi told me that the 49cm (which could take Schwalbe Marathons, and thus handle my roads) was definitely too tall and probably too long for me. I'm grateful to both of them for being honest with me and not letting me buy the bike I wanted when it was the wrong size for me.

My LBS is keeping an eye out for a used bike my size, and knows that I want a lightweight singlespeed, ideally under $1,300 or so, but nothing has come up yet. In the meantime, since I'm sad about the Wabi and feel the need to browse specs online: anything I should be looking at? LBS suggested that I check out the All City Nature Boy and I've heard good things about the Soma Rush. Any other great frames/completes that are 49cm or smaller that I could talk to my LBS about or search for on Craigslist?

I'm still bummed out about the Wabi (it was so perfect until I saw the geometry) so feel free to commiserate about the bikes that haven't fit you, as well.
Depending on price point and what features you're looking for, the All City Super Pro and Salsa Stormchaser can both be set up single speed. I had a 49cm Stormchaser that I ran single speed; it fit my 5'2" just fine. I find it ridiculously hilarious that Wabi recommends a 42cm Classic for someone up to 5'4". At my height, I, like you, need more like a 45cm or 47cm.

Originally Posted by arug

Wabi told me the 42cm probably wouldn't work for me, what I really needed was something in between 42 and 49, and that the rack situation (I need a basket(s) for loads or 20lb or more) also probably wouldn't work. One LBS was adamantly against 650B, another LBS said they were viable but would be special order.
What does your LBS have against 650B?
Old 03-28-23, 07:52 PM
arug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdimattia
What does your LBS have against 650B?
He was a Specialized dealer. I am guessing that he doesn't carry them in his store. But he was also opposed to a 42 cm bike for me. He said it would be more suitable for someone 4'10" and that the best fit for me would be a State 4130--that he had one and it was nice. I think it will be fine with better wheels and tires.
Old 03-28-23, 08:34 PM
sdimattia

He was a Specialized dealer. I am guessing that he doesn't carry them in his store. But he was also opposed to a 42 cm bike for me. He said it would be more suitable for someone 4'10" and that the best fit for me would be a State 4130--that he had one and it was nice. I think it will be fine with better wheels and tires.
Huh, I assume he meant 650c wheels then which is what the 42cm uses. Yes, 650c tires are a rarity compared to 650B/27.5 and 700c but they do exist. I always say ride the bike that fits best, does what you want it to do, and makes you want to ride. Is the State what you’ve decided on?
Old 03-28-23, 09:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Huh, I assume he meant 650c wheels then which is what the 42cm uses. Yes, 650c tires are a rarity compared to 650B/27.5 and 700c but they do exist.
I think the OP's problem was that there are no 650c tires that can handle goat head thorns. I have an old MTB with 26" wheels and use a Mr. Tuffy strip under the tread which can handle goat heads, roofing nails and just about anything else. I'm also 5'-2" and own a Wabi that fits me fine with a 100mm flipped up stem and bullhorns.

2011 42cm Wabi Lightning with 650c wheels

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 03-29-23 at 06:27 AM.
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 03-29-23, 02:43 AM
arug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the State what you’ve decided on?
Pretty much. Cinelli Gazetta and Kilo TT were also on my short list but the former does not get good reviews and the latter is from a vendor I've been advised against. My saga is in the "740 mm standover" thread.

Do you have any suggestions for upgraded light but affordable wheels and tires?
Old 03-29-23, 04:51 PM
sdimattia

Pretty much. Cinelli Gazetta and Kilo TT were also on my short list but the former does not get good reviews and the latter is from a vendor I've been advised against. My saga is in the "740 mm standover" thread.

Do you have any suggestions for upgraded light but affordable wheels and tires?
What's your budget and what size wheels?
Old 03-29-23, 04:53 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I think the OP's problem was that there are no 650c tires that can handle goat head thorns. I have an old MTB with 26" wheels and use a Mr. Tuffy strip under the tread which can handle goat heads, roofing nails and just about anything else. I'm also 5'-2" and own a Wabi that fits me fine with a 100mm flipped up stem and bullhorns.

2011 42cm Wabi Lightning with 650c wheels
Nice! I didn't realize Wabi used to make a 42cm Lightning.
Old 03-29-23, 05:36 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Nice! I didn't realize Wabi used to make a 42cm Lightning.
Yes, but it is an aluminum frame rather than the steel used on the current lightning. It is extremely light, only 14.6 lbs minus the seat bag and water bottle.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 03-29-23, 05:43 PM
arug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your budget and what size wheels?
I'd like to spend less than $300 (preferrably less than $200). Wheels that come with the bike are 700C 14mm and can take a max tire width of 28mm.

I am not sure what I need for brake clearance (dual pivot, clamp diameter 23.8 mm front and rear).
Old 03-29-23, 06:30 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I'd like to spend less than $300 (preferrably less than $200). Wheels that come with the bike are 700C 14mm and can take a max tire width of 28mm.
I doubt you will find a good quality lightweight wheelset for under $200. I can vouch for the Wabi standard 700c wheelset which costs $300 and is very lightweight.

https://wabicycles.com/products/wabi...speed-wheelset

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 03-29-23, 07:26 PM
sdimattia

I'll second Tejano's recommendation.

DeeGee15 Not to hijack your thread here but, have you given any more though to other bikes that might interest you?
Old 04-09-23, 09:20 AM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

I am not sure why Wabi chose to accommodate riders three or more standard deviations below the mean but not two (surely there are more of us, actually I am 1.8 standard deviations below the mean for a man in the USA) but that helped me to rule them out. Shame. You would think with limited production runs they could fix this but I am guessing that there are design difficulties when using 700C tires with a 45-46 cm frame that they didn't want to deal with.

I, too, got a rec for All City but I don't want to spend that much.

The previous model State 4130 single speeds had 46cm and 49cm, which are a lot smaller than the current (2022 and post-) production run. The frame isn't as high quality as what you would like but other parts can be upgraded as necessary. You can find both new and old geometry charts at the State website.
Unfortunately, the geometry doesn’t allow a 700c option smaller than 49cm. The main triangle can’t go any smaller. The only option would be a larger 650C frame, but it is hard to justify another frame size to accommodate the limited percentage of people that fall between the 42cm and 49cm. Plus, the 42cm can work with the right stem setup. Honestly, we were going to discontinue the 42cm (so as to not have to manage the 650Cs and relatively low sales), but we had enough customers ask/beg us for it given no other options out there.
Old 04-09-23, 12:23 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by wabi_damon
Unfortunately, the geometry doesn’t allow a 700c option smaller than 49cm. The main triangle can’t go any smaller. The only option would be a larger 650C frame, but it is hard to justify another frame size to accommodate the limited percentage of people that fall between the 42cm and 49cm. Plus, the 42cm can work with the right stem setup. Honestly, we were going to discontinue the 42cm (so as to not have to manage the 650Cs and relatively low sales), but we had enough customers ask/beg us for it given no other options out there.
Well, you could offer a smaller 700c wheel model if you were willing to adopt a shortened sloping top tube design and reduce the head tube angle while increasing the fork offset to avoid toe overlap with the front wheel. There are many successful examples of this approach on the market today. As to your comment that the 650c (42cm) model can be made to work with a longer stem, that is true up to a point since handling is adversely affected if the bars are placed too far ahead of the front wheel. Anyway, I did order a 650c Classic from you, realizing that this may be the last 650c bike I'll ever be able to purchase. Out of curiosity, how many orders have you received so far for the 42cm (650c) model ?

Originally Posted by Dcv

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 04-09-23 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-10-23, 12:49 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Well, you could offer a smaller 700c wheel model if you were willing to adopt a shortened sloping top tube design and reduce the head tube angle while increasing the fork offset to avoid toe overlap with the front wheel. There are many successful examples of this approach on the market today. As to your comment that the 650c (42cm) model can be made to work with a longer stem, that is true up to a point since handling is adversely affected if the bars are placed too far ahead of the front wheel. Anyway, I did order a 650c Classic from you, realizing that this may be the last 650c bike I'll ever be able to purchase. Out of curiosity, how many orders have you received so far for the 42cm (650c) model ?
True, but that would require a different frame design with a different look and feel to accommodate a limited percentage of riders. I believe only 1-2% of potential riders fall within that range. As a small company, we have to prioritize our efforts and that is hard to justify.

We got a handful of orders. I don't quote exact numbers, but the 42cm comprises less than 5% of our Classic orders historically.

Thanks for your order too.