Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

1X road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

1X road bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-23, 11:00 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I think that's what I said. The 38t would be too limiting for my style of riding. Although I've tried to retrain myself, I still fall into a slower cadence and mash the pedals. On the trainer I can maintain 80RPM for 30 miles with 2% grade equivalent resistance no problem. But when I get out on the road, I find myself settling down into a 70RPM cadence in high gear all the time, a pace that I can maintain all day. I've replaced my large chainring (52t) and the 3 smallest cogs and have yet to replace any others since the bike was new. That's just the way I roll.
Good thing there are 44t Ekar chainrings.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-21-23, 01:39 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts

16.6 lbs

As I rode it today.
I put the final changes on the Zeppelin today, a set of Vuelta SLR wheels with GK 28mm slicks, and a Pro Turnix saddle. The bike is now at 16.6 lbs., with no accessories. I have been keeping my rides short due to tweaking my back, again, last Monday. I did 11 miles today with the set up in the second picture, 44t front and 11-36 rear. The more I ride this bike with the 1 X, the more I like the set up. The shifting with the bar ends in friction mode is very good, and, with the 11 speed, lever travel is short. I have purchased a Deore M5100 cassette, 11-42, for when I might need lower gearing, will just have to use a chain with 2 more links.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-22-23, 03:46 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I don't hate modern stuff by any stretch, and most of the checkboxes on your list I either embrace, or, at worst, am indifferent to

...except for a pure road bike with a 1X drivetrain. I have yet to see any rider with a 1X on a fast cooperative group paceline ride (e.g., your typical recreational cycle club A or B group) who was not spinning out like a Buster Keaton clown show on the sprints or descents. Wrong tool for the job imho.

tbh I'm not even sure I see the appeal of 1X on mountain bikes, but at least there I'm so out-of-the-loop that I'm willing to chalk it up to my own ignorance. 1X for road cycling = no bueno

But that is a good looking bike ya got there! Enjoy.
I'm not piling on, in fact I think I may even be agreeing with you a little, but I just wanted to chip in with my experience. I had a 1x road bike with 50t front, and 11-34 on the back, 10spd Shimano with an old mtb derailleur to see what the fuss was about. Chain retention was good, was it lighter, yep (I suppose, barely noticed, probably a wash with wider range cheap cassettes), shifting required less brain, so more brain free for other things, and the range from memory was about the same as a standard double with 11-25 cassette. I don't race up hills, so This was fine. The 1x setup may have lasted longer if I had a dedicated 1 x shifter set, I was using a pair of road ultegra levers, and it seemed a waste to have the left hand shifter doing nothing. The nagging thing was that the smallest 3 sprockets were next to useless - I had very little chance of ever turning a gear that size over, so basically had a 1 x 7 group. I could have put a smaller chainring on, and shifted the problem to the other end of the cassette, but by that point I just returned it to a double and moved on.

But even as a 1 x 7 it still worked really well. Had plenty of useable gears, and a small enough gear for grinding on climbs. It was fine for crits and short flat rides, but for longer rides, or rides where you need to manage fatigue, that's where the shortfalls of *that particular setup* were really evident - if you're struggling to hold a wheel, with a 1x where you can't find the right gear you're really struggling, so redlining earlier and we all know what happens next. I'm sure the newer combinations address some of these issues, but not enough to dissuade me from sticking to a plain double for now. I'm sure not plonking down AXS money, when the sponsored riders were getting custom rings made and grousing about the 10t sprocket creating too much friction in the drive train.
Likes For Minion1:
Old 05-22-23, 09:18 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
In terms of 1x being viable for road use, I'd just offer that the difference on the top end isn't as big as people think. If you compare a 42x11 and a 52x11 at 90rpm, it's 27.3mph vs 33.8mph. 42x11 is the same as 50x13.

Most people I ride with aren't using their 11 or 12 cogs much, even if they're running a 50T big ring. Outside of racing, for me this would be spirited downhill/tailwind sprinting off the front of the group ride, or possibly some very long/sustained downhill sections.

The bigger factor on 1x for road is on climbing gears. The larger cassettes can get heavy and have larger gaps (especially on the big half). Those gaps can be problematic for long/sustained climbing where you really want to find that perfect cadence.

I run a 44T with 11-32 rear for 1x road and it's fine for flat land riding - even reasonably fast road group rides. This gearing doesn't work for climbing though. If I lived in an area with climbs I'd definitely want 2x.
Old 05-22-23, 09:27 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I don't hate modern stuff by any stretch, and most of the checkboxes on your list I either embrace, or, at worst, am indifferent to

...except for a pure road bike with a 1X drivetrain. I have yet to see any rider with a 1X on a fast cooperative group paceline ride (e.g., your typical recreational cycle club A or B group) who was not spinning out like a Buster Keaton clown show on the sprints or descents. Wrong tool for the job imho.

tbh I'm not even sure I see the appeal of 1X on mountain bikes, but at least there I'm so out-of-the-loop that I'm willing to chalk it up to my own ignorance. 1X for road cycling = no bueno

I run EKAR on my gravel bike - 40T ring and 9-42 cassette. The 40X9 combo is 119 gear inches and at 90 RPM would put me at >30MPH. I am a B rider and can easily ride my gravel bike with the group - do it almost every weekend now.

If you don't understand the important role of the single chain ring on mountain bikes, let me give you a hint, it has nothing to do with the gear ratio's or shifting, but rather everything to do with suspension design.

Last edited by vespasianus; 05-27-23 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 05-22-23, 09:32 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
The controversy surrounding the 1x setups is funny. If the low and high gear inches are the same or similar to a 2x, the only "sacrifice" is a few bigger jumps between gears. Mtn bikers figured this out years ago.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 05-22-23, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
I'm not piling on, in fact I think I may even be agreeing with you a little, but I just wanted to chip in with my experience. I had a 1x road bike with 50t front, and 11-34 on the back, 10spd Shimano with an old mtb derailleur to see what the fuss was about. Chain retention was good, was it lighter, yep (I suppose, barely noticed, probably a wash with wider range cheap cassettes), shifting required less brain, so more brain free for other things, and the range from memory was about the same as a standard double with 11-25 cassette. I don't race up hills, so This was fine. The 1x setup may have lasted longer if I had a dedicated 1 x shifter set, I was using a pair of road ultegra levers, and it seemed a waste to have the left hand shifter doing nothing. The nagging thing was that the smallest 3 sprockets were next to useless - I had very little chance of ever turning a gear that size over, so basically had a 1 x 7 group. I could have put a smaller chainring on, and shifted the problem to the other end of the cassette, but by that point I just returned it to a double and moved on.

But even as a 1 x 7 it still worked really well. Had plenty of useable gears, and a small enough gear for grinding on climbs. It was fine for crits and short flat rides, but for longer rides, or rides where you need to manage fatigue, that's where the shortfalls of *that particular setup* were really evident - if you're struggling to hold a wheel, with a 1x where you can't find the right gear you're really struggling, so redlining earlier and we all know what happens next. I'm sure the newer combinations address some of these issues, but not enough to dissuade me from sticking to a plain double for now. I'm sure not plonking down AXS money, when the sponsored riders were getting custom rings made and grousing about the 10t sprocket creating too much friction in the drive train.
It really comes down to tailoring the 1x range to what is usable for your needs, by using the right size/range at both ends. I went to 1x on my gravel bike partially because I had top-end gears with my 2x setup that I wasn't using. Looking at the overlap of small ring vs. big ring ratios, I really only had 15 meaningfully different options. 2 of those, I didn't use. Going from 2x to 1x reduced my gear options from 13 to 11. Going with a larger cassette, I extended my range on the low end, and the spacing between gears widened a little. However, what I have is perfect for what I ride. The low end gets me up 15+% climbs, and the high end allows me to pedal at ~30mph. If we're going faster than that, I can probably tuck and coast, and save my effort. My gravel ride yesterday included all of that.
Old 05-22-23, 11:06 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
The controversy surrounding the 1x setups is funny. If the low and high gear inches are the same or similar to a 2x, the only "sacrifice" is a few bigger jumps between gears. Mtn bikers figured this out years ago.
Exactly. Now with 13 speed cassettes and 9 tooth sprockets the steps are very linear. It is actually fairly encouraging that most of the responses seemed open minded and informed about the advances in drivetrain technology.
Old 05-22-23, 11:13 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
And on road with long steady climbs or sustained headwinds finding a comfortable cadence that can be settled into for some time begins to be a desirable characteristic. This is why doubles have the dense overlap in the middle, mostly used range of the gearing choices.

Conventional 1x by contrast has all of the range, none of the fine resolution where the rider spends most of their time. Cog 9 to 10 is a bigger (10%) jump than 10 to 11 (9%.) The difference between the 1x's 9 cog & 11 is 18% That is a pretty big jump if 9 & 11 are your only choices. The 2x's 11 to 13 is 15%

In a 2x system with a bigger, big ring, the number of teeth on each cog are a smaller proportion of the larger ring. 50/11=4.54:1 the 11 cog is 22% of the 50. In a 1x the 40/9=4.44:1 and the 9 tooth cog is 22.5% of the 40. The situation deteriorates rapidly. In a mountain bike 30/9 the 9 is 30%

What this means is: In addition to cogs with smaller difference between eachother, that smaller percent difference is a smaller proportion of the drive ring. IOW the scaling of the 2x drivetrain will be more forgiving. The bigger the big ring the less a single single tooth jump will mean. This is good if you want to a higher resolution of choices and a more forgiving steady state system.

The cool thing with Ekar is the large number of choices (13) and their selection. As corn-cobby as possible where a road rider wants a desired fine resolution choice for cadence, & bigger jumps where terrain more or less dictates the rider won't be in a particular cadence long enough to be annoyed. They chose each cog to follow a curve so that each jump in ratio has the same impact on speed. That's some serious thinkin' they did on that. Conventional wisdom is to choose even jumps in ratio which scales speed in a nonlinear fashion.

I am not passing judgement. 1x is fantastic where widely variable, rapidly changing terrain dictates that huge sweeping changes in gearing is desired.

The Ekar is interesting indeed. I am curious to see the efficiency data for the increased chain angle & small cog chain tension in relation to a conventional 2x system. Maybe aero losses, saved & system weight make up the difference? I'll wager the smart scaling of cog selection seals the deal in a good way.

Last edited by base2; 05-22-23 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-26-23, 03:13 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
Beginning of the end for double chainrings.

Primoz Roglic uses gravel groupset in Giro d'Italia queen stage

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pri...age-19-finale/

Likes For cat0020:
Old 05-26-23, 04:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by cat0020
Those wide, deep wheels and fat tires are too heavy and slow for climbing! Oh, wait...
Old 05-26-23, 04:08 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
…I am curious to see the efficiency data for the increased chain angle & small cog chain tension in relation to a conventional 2x system. Maybe aero losses, saved & system weight make up the difference? I'll wager the smart scaling of cog selection seals the deal in a good way.
that would be interesting - although wouldn’t it be more significant climbing? at high speeds on the flats it’s all about being more aero rather than a percent of two of drivetrain loss.

would a 42:42 be more efficient than a 34:34? larger rotating mass vs smaller chain angle….
Old 05-26-23, 05:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by mschwett
that would be interesting - although wouldn’t it be more significant climbing? at high speeds on the flats it’s all about being more aero rather than a percent of two of drivetrain loss.

would a 42:42 be more efficient than a 34:34? larger rotating mass vs smaller chain angle….
My experience is more teeth are better. I hated the same gear in my small ring vs large, every time...
Old 05-26-23, 07:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Beginning of the end for double chainrings.

Primoz Roglic uses gravel groupset in Giro d'Italia queen stage.
He used 1x for part of the stage.

The 1x limitation explains why he didn't just start the stage on this bike — a lack in top-end speed.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-27-23, 06:51 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts

I was able to keep up with my pretty quick group on a 46 / 11-36 1x11 setup with a cadence around 90 which most certainly not spinning out.
Old 05-27-23, 07:21 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett

I suspect the difference is pretty insignificant. Probably lost in the noise of the cleanliness of your drivetrain.
Old 05-27-23, 07:24 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
My experience is more teeth are better. I hated the same gear in my small ring vs large, every time...
I notice differences in chain line more than teeth. For example I prefer to be in the middle of the cassette on the small chainring than the largest couple of cassette gears in the big chainring. But that’s just a “feeling” and I doubt it makes much difference in terms of efficiency.
Old 05-27-23, 11:16 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I notice differences in chain line more than teeth. For example I prefer to be in the middle of the cassette on the small chainring than the largest couple of cassette gears in the big chainring. But that’s just a “feeling” and I doubt it makes much difference in terms of efficiency.
Me too. Big big cross-chaining is noisy and detracts from the ride.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-27-23, 01:25 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
I suspect the difference is pretty insignificant. Probably lost in the noise of the cleanliness of your drivetrain.
my drivetrain is insulted! you wound me, sir!
Old 05-27-23, 07:02 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
I built out my 1x road bike with a 44t 11-32t setup. I can climb most everything in my area. If I need more power to go up a hill, I just ride out of saddle. I was thinking of going with an 11-36t, but I like the closer gearing of the 11-32t. On group rides I just tuck behind a bigger rider and draft. The nice thing about 1x is better chain retention, smooth shifting and you can focus more on your cadence.

Last edited by jonathanf2; 05-27-23 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-27-23, 07:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
The nice thing about 1x is better chain retention.
Primoz Roglic might have a different opinion about that.
Old 05-27-23, 07:44 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Me too. Big big cross-chaining is noisy and detracts from the ride.
Big-big yes, but I preferred big-secondBig over dropping to the small ring. It just felt so gross.
Old 05-28-23, 07:06 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Big-big yes, but I preferred big-secondBig over dropping to the small ring. It just felt so gross.
Maybe that’s more of an issue with your specific drivetrain. Both my road bikes feel smooth in the small ring (Shimano 11-speed and SRAM 12-speed. They both feel at their roughest in big/big and big/2nd. I never run the small ring at the small end of the cassette, so I don’t know how rough that gets.
Old 05-28-23, 07:11 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Maybe that’s more of an issue with your specific drivetrain. Both my road bikes feel smooth in the small ring (Shimano 11-speed and SRAM 12-speed. They both feel at their roughest in big/big and big/2nd. I never run the small ring at the small end of the cassette, so I don’t know how rough that gets.
Big-2nd felt better than small-anything, regardless of who had tuned it however recently. It wasn't rough, just always better with the same ratio in the big ring. Hence desire to go 1x - I hardly dropped into the little ring at all anyway because of that. Didn't need much extra range to make it work.
Old 05-28-23, 07:38 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
I like big-big. No noise, no roughness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.