Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gosh-darn traffic blocking the MUP

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Gosh-darn traffic blocking the MUP

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-20, 12:43 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by BNSF
It's cute how so many people seem to think road construction and maintenance are supposed to just happen by magic.
Not by magic, but by the rules.... By going through due processes, NOT bloody conveience....By whatever innovative method that keeps the MUP rideable and walkable....
Old 07-21-20, 01:16 PM
BNSF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Not by magic, but by the rules.... By going through due processes, NOT bloody conveience....By whatever innovative method that keeps the MUP rideable and walkable....

It's just as likely the OP rode past an assortment of "Detour" and "Path Closed" signs to get this far into an otherwise off-limits work area.
Likes For BNSF:
Old 07-21-20, 01:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Working off the photo provided, I would be surprised if any scope of work on that project had any contract special provisions that required ANY MUP access, much less at all times. That's a big hoe and isn't out there to scratch a few small holes. Likely all "rules" are being followed and plenty of "due process" was involved. If you've ever bid or worked a government contract red tape, permits, and hoops being jumped through come early and often.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-21-20, 02:32 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
Lacks cones for safety. What if a kid & his mom were to walk by & hurt themselves on it!?!?!!!
Old 07-21-20, 02:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
So this is now a constitutional issue? Do you even know by what instrument/grant the trail exists? Whoever left that machine there could have ever right to. I think this whole situation is beyond your “pay grade.”
Old 07-21-20, 02:43 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by dedhed
Working off the photo provided, I would be surprised if any scope of work on that project had any contract special provisions that required ANY MUP access, much less at all times. That's a big hoe and isn't out there to scratch a few small holes. Likely all "rules" are being followed and plenty of "due process" was involved. If you've ever bid or worked a government contract red tape, permits, and hoops being jumped through come early and often.
Yep. As I note above, we don’t how the path exists. Maybe the owner of the land granted an easement and reserved the right to block the path in order to perform work on his/her surrounding property. Way too many variables to make any meaningful analysis of the situation. People need to chill and think.

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-21-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 02:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
You guys complaining about the heavy equipment on your MUPs...But you got some good photo ops out of it.

Besides, that's not even much of an obstacle. Just go around it.

When I lived on the Great Plains, trains were always getting in the way of our rides. One night, a bunch of friends and I were riding way out in the country, and we came to a RR crossing with a string of rail cars (about 6-8 of 'em) just parked on the tracks, blocking the road, with no engine attached. We just passed the bikes underneath one of the cars and rode on.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-21-20, 02:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
....By whatever innovative method that keeps the MUP rideable and walkable....
Innovative method? Give me a break. It’s a MUP. It can be gone tomorrow if the Govt decides they don’t want to maintain it any more. With all the budget issues, a MUP can’t be very high on the list of priorities.

John
Old 07-21-20, 02:58 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Thank you!

Equipment, especially that large, is there for a reason. It’s too expensive to move it there just to piss off a few silly, self-absorbed cyclists. This didn’t happen in a vacuum, it required an extensive planning and permitting. There’s a legal reason it’s there.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 07-21-20, 03:19 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Maybe they left the keys in it.
Old 07-21-20, 03:36 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
Thank you!

Equipment, especially that large, is there for a reason. It’s too expensive to move it there just to piss off a few silly, self-absorbed cyclists. This didn’t happen in a vacuum, it required an extensive planning and permitting. There’s a legal reason it’s there.
Yep. It may be used to maintain or better the path. Wonder if he’d be pissed about that. Total FWP.

Me thinks the OP isn’t getting enough attention in his blog thread, which was moved to that forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...trators-2.html

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-21-20 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 04:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Maybe they left the keys in it.
Interestingly most large equipment generally all run the same key within a manufacturer. You just need a John Deere key or Cat key not that machines unique key
Old 07-21-20, 06:22 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yep. It may be used to maintain or better the path. Wonder if he’d be pissed about that. Total FWP.

Me thinks the OP isn’t getting enough attention in his blog thread, which was moved to that forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/blogger-s...trators-2.html
OP here. I'm not affiliated with that blog or blogger.

If the smiley face at the end of the original post wasn't evident enough, let me be clear that the excavator was not really an inconvenience to me, it gave me an excuse to hope off the bike for a few minutes, stretch, and take some pics. Several assumed correctly that it was/is there for serious work on the path, because it was washed out at some point in the past. There is about 2 miles of unpaved washboard dirt that is probably being prepped for repavement. No signs or barricades were up at any point to indicate that the trail was currently closed, but I figure a couple miles of this dissuaded most riders and walkers from continuing:

This is what it looked like just behind the excavator (which was the direction I came from when I initially came across it):

The rest of the path is very nicely paved in concrete.
Likes For General Geoff:
Old 07-21-20, 06:30 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Interestingly most large equipment generally all run the same key within a manufacturer. You just need a John Deere key or Cat key not that machines unique key
not anymore. The key only unlocks the door, they start by entering a code. Deere has gotten way too fancy for me.
Old 07-23-20, 02:06 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
My take on MUP’s is that they are for everything but bikes! I gave up on them a while ago. It looks like where you are they are great, but here in Southern California it is for moms with strollers walking three abreast talking and ignoring anyone else that wants to pass or dog walkers with retractable leashes and dogs that are on the opposite side of the path. It can be a wonderful place to hold a neighborhood meeting , right in the middle of the path. I am not out on my ride to get frustrated by these every day occurrences. I stick to the road.
Likes For Kabuki12: