Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dia-Compe AGC vs ACG Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 10:52 PM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts

Yes I know Dia-Compe is not as cool as the others

What's the difference between the 80s era Aero Gran-Compe and the Aero Compe G?

Velobase is inconclusive. It shows a different finish for essentially the same calliper AGC300 vs AC300G. Were they equivalent but different years? Some levers were panto'd vs screen printed. Did they just make it up as they went along?

Old 02-22-21, 06:41 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Both brakesets were offered concurrently. The AGC300 is spec'd as being "buffed & clear anodized", while the AG300C is just "clear anodized". Looking at them, the former has a satin finish, while the latter is more reflective. There's also a difference in the colour (and material?) of the eccentric pad adjusters. While those two difference are purely aesthetic, there is a practical difference in the cap nut on the front of the brake bolt. The AGC300 has a rubber insert covering an Allen recess while the nut on the AC300G uses external flats. There's also a claimed 2g weight difference. Those are the only differences that appear in the 1986 catalogue.

Having said that, I've also seen a version of the AG300C which use plainer looking barrel adjusters (no rubber surround and a knurled cable receptacle) and an adhesive sticker or decal in place of of the tampo/silk screened lettering.

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-22-21 at 06:52 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-22-21, 10:53 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Cool calipers IF you run narrow tires and the frame can accept the limited reach adjustment.
I wanted a set back then, but my bike was too old to make use of them, too much reach.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-22-21, 02:08 PM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks for the information, very useful.

From a lever perspective then, a lever marked AGC250 is not the same as a AC250G. What's the difference between some AGC levers being panto'd towards the bottom of the lever and some levers being printed at the top of the lever? Is this different years?

Last edited by AUPedla; 02-22-21 at 02:12 PM.