Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cook stove fuel

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Cook stove fuel

Old 03-28-21, 02:58 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 93 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
Is it legal, in Europe, to fly with gas canisters?
No!
Old 03-28-21, 06:15 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
MSR Pocket Rocket on the left, and a Primus Duo stove on the right. The Primus will take both screw and slip on canisters. It is quite a bit heavier than the MSR.

Primus Duo Stove
Old 03-29-21, 04:50 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Your post did not say where you are from. The border is close to car and bicycle traffic. You can enter if you fly in. Just saying.
Old 03-29-21, 05:04 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Your post did not say where you are from. The border is close to car and bicycle traffic. You can enter if you fly in. Just saying.
Not quite following you. Who are you referring to?
Old 03-29-21, 06:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I've got several camp stoves, but here's my favorite. I've had it for 48 years. Due to regulations I can't fly with it unfortunately.
Yea, I have a 123 as well that I still like and use for certain trips (haven't used it on a bike tour). It is a great little stove. Some time years ago I stopped using it because it was "outdated". At some point I dug it out and after a decade or more in storage it fired right up. I compared it to current stoves and it fared better than I expected. Its soft sputtering sound was so comforting I felt comforted by it and remembered old times. I knew it was back in the active duty roster. I wouldn't fly with it and am hesitant about flying with most of my stoves other than my pop can stoves or canister stove. I figure the risk of confiscation is too high.

Not many options for flying with fuel exist. I guess you can fly with an unopened bottle of Everclear if you use an alcohol burner

When it comes to pop can stoves confiscation wouldn't be too bad since you can make another. If I was real worried I could start each trip with a new one but they burn clean enough that I have never had one confiscated, even when I accidently had a used one in my personal item and they swabbed everything. Even the pocket rocket has been fine, but I worry more about it. I figure the SVEA 123 and my MSR Whisperlite International have a more likely than not chance of getting confiscated unless a super good job of cleaning is done and even then I'd be concerned. As a result I have not flown with them. If I am driving I might take them and if flying I either use something else of ship it ahead of time.
Old 03-29-21, 06:52 AM
imi
aka Timi

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not many options for flying with fuel exist. I guess you can fly with an unopened bottle of Everclear if you use an alcohol burner
Not sure about that. I thought anything flammable except a BIC lighter in your pocket will be refused.

Here in Sweden, a Trangia burner costs about $15, so taking a new one every trip could be an option. The pot tongs should be in checked baggage as they might be construed as a dangerous weapon. Any "tools" including hex keys can be refused as hand baggage.

Last edited by imi; 03-29-21 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-29-21, 07:30 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by imi
Not sure about that. I thought anything flammable except a BIC lighter in your pocket will be refused.

Here in Sweden, a Trangia burner costs about $15, so taking a new one every trip could be an option. The pot tongs should be in checked baggage as they might be construed as a dangerous weapon. Any "tools" including hex keys can be refused as hand baggage.
Some sealed drinking alcohol is okay according to the TSA, but there are limitations. I just read the TSA site and the limit is 140 proof (70%). So yea, no Everclear. 140 proof will burn, but is not great fuel at 70%. So I guess flying with alcohol for fuel is a poor answer.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2019/06/21/...veling-alcohol
Old 03-29-21, 10:12 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
The threat of TSA confiscation exists with liquid fueled stoves or fuel containers that could conceivably retain a residue or a residual odor. Gas canister stoves like the pocket rocket are fine as opposed to the canisters themselves. I've been flying out West for a dozen years with my buds and an assortment of MSR and Snowpeak burners without issue, in the checked baggage of course.

I weighed my Svea (empty) and my MSR WhisperLite with a small empty fuel flask and found the "outdated" Svea to be lighter. I used the Svea on my most recent outing even though the temp was in the mid teens, and the output was noticeably reduced. I usually use the WhisperLite in cold conditions as it is pretty much unaffected.

When on the bike in warm weather, the cold temp advantage of the liquid burners is gone and I go for my PocketRocket 2. On the aforementioned summer trips when morning temps are often near or at freezing, the canister stoves work acceptably well.
Old 03-29-21, 11:06 AM
staehpj1

I weighed my Svea (empty) and my MSR WhisperLite with a small empty fuel flask and found the "outdated" Svea to be lighter.
Are you weighing the whole only the burner for the SVEA? If I weighed the whole stove mine was heavier than my Whisperlite even with a large 20 oz. bottle. Still reasonable enough though.
Old 03-29-21, 01:17 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
I weighed the whole thing IIRC. It was close, but lighter. I have an old Whisperlite, maybe the newer ones are lighter. Did this a long time ago, I used to have a produce scale I inherited from an uncle.
Old 03-29-21, 02:56 PM
staehpj1

I weighed the whole thing IIRC. It was close, but lighter. I have an old Whisperlite, maybe the newer ones are lighter. Did this a long time ago, I used to have a produce scale I inherited from an uncle.
For sure it isn't super heavy. Looking back I have to wonder why I bought into the idea that it was outdated all those decades ago.

BTW, my 123 was used but in good shape from a flea market in about 1972. I paid $8.
Old 03-29-21, 06:04 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
thats hilarious that you remember what it cost you nearly 50 years ago!
It really is curious how some stuff sticks in our brains, little goofy details, yet other stuff just leaks out of our memories.....
Ive worked a fair amount looking after people with alzheimers, and its classic how the old entrenched memories stay solid much longer than the recent stuff.
very curious things our brains. Look also at how you can hear a song, and you can vividly recall all kinds of details from when you heard it back in god knows when....
Old 03-29-21, 06:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Here in Sweden, a Trangia burner costs about $15, so taking a new one every trip could be an option. ....
In most cases the security inspectors will do the smell test, if they smell residual fuel it gets confiscated. But if your stove is an alcohol stove, keep in mind that alcohol is infinitely soluble in water, so a good water bath should make any trace of smell disappear.

But, you never know if you will get an overly cautious inspector, apparently some confiscate all stoves they find unless they are in new packaging. They are in a work environment where they are unlikely to get in trouble if they are overly stringent.
Old 03-30-21, 05:48 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by djb
It really is curious how some stuff sticks in our brains, little goofy details, yet other stuff just leaks out of our memories.....
Ive worked a fair amount looking after people with alzheimers, and its classic how the old entrenched memories stay solid much longer than the recent stuff.
very curious things our brains. Look also at how you can hear a song, and you can vividly recall all kinds of details from when you heard it back in god knows when....
As I age I am finding that more and more true. Memory is a very weird thing.
Old 03-30-21, 10:52 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I can relate to that. I have to call my younger brother to "truth check" some of my stories.
Old 03-30-21, 12:06 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I went to my first concert maybe 43 years ago. Taste of Honey, the Isley Brothers, but I cannot remember the third group. However, I can remember to this day that the ticket cost $7.50.
Old 03-30-21, 12:41 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I am pretty sure I paid between $5 and $10 USD for three used Svea stoves, this was in the early to mid 70s. A camping store in Minneapolis was moving and they were cleaning house. A box was labeled make offer, some of the stuff in it was used. I asked what they wanted for the three Svea stoves, they named a price. With all my coin and paper money, I was a few bucks short, they agreed to take it. Another customer saw that and offered a small amount for the 8R stoves in the box and they accepted that, and he paid less than I paid. I was angry at myself for not asking about the 8R stoves besides the Svea stoves, I might have gotten them too. That was before Visa or Mastercard existed.

Last time I used a Svea was backpacking in Grand Canyon, that was seven years ago. One of the park rangers was curious about my stove.