Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken rear derailleur. New or upgrade? Advice?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-21, 02:17 AM
toma01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Guys & Girls,

I am a newbie around here and more or less in road cycling as well. I sustained a snapped rear derailleur on my newly acquired second-hand bike. As I don’t have much of an experience with the different group sets, I would look out for some advice first before spraying out some serious £££. I’ll attach pics as well for better understanding.. edit: can’t upload pics as a newbie.

So, I bought a Mooda Stretto Carbon bike with Shimano 105 (10-speed) gears, Dura ace breaks, and god knows what shifters, carbon wheels. (see pics.. okay cannot upload pics as a newbie) I am fairly happy with construct however the shifters are very worn and left sided one has a long travel when breaking. The previous owner changed the chain and wiring.

The question is whether I should just replace the rear 105 (10) derailleur only (£40-60) OR upgrade 105/11 / ultegra piece by piece OR change the whole group set to either of the mentioned?
I read different blogs and forums regards the group sets and whether upgrade not to upgrade.... which did not helped deciding. I am also worried that actual physical break happened due to some shifting error which might need other components to change.

(so what happened is, I was coming to hill then decided to shift LOW at front while at the back it was around the middle I assume.... then it dropped off at the back I thought okay had this before reverse pedalling to insert back then push which basically ripped the rear derailleur down. I think the chain must have dropped from one of the small chainring and stuck. The gearing was not perfect on this first ride needed double push to make the shifts sometimes. It had died at 137km of a 160km ride.)

I am planning to bike around 300-500km / month. I have budget up to about £1000 if sensible investment as it would rise the overall value.

Last edited by toma01; 04-18-21 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-18-21, 04:02 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
You have 105, but which 105? as this groupset has been around for well over 30 years now in different versions. The current version being R7000, previous 5800 (both 11 speed), then 5700, 5600 (both 10 speed), after that getting spares will become difficult

Being as a 10 speed, that limits you to having 5600 or 5700, if your looking to upgrade to 11 speed, then you will need to look at replacing shifters, rear hub, probably the front derailleur and possibly the brakes as well.

Upgrading piecemeal won't work if changing speed, it's all or nothing.

When you say the shifters are worn, how & what are they? the long pull is an issue with the brake, not the shifter, if worn, are what part, the hoods (bracket covers) or all over?

Some more details of what you have would be real useful here!
Old 04-18-21, 04:24 AM
toma01

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
You have 105, but which 105? as this groupset has been around for well over 30 years now in different versions. The current version being R7000, previous 5800 (both 11 speed), then 5700, 5600 (both 10 speed), after that getting spares will become difficult

Being as a 10 speed, that limits you to having 5600 or 5700, if your looking to upgrade to 11 speed, then you will need to look at replacing shifters, rear hub, probably the front derailleur and possibly the brakes as well.

Upgrading piecemeal won't work if changing speed, it's all or nothing.

When you say the shifters are worn, how & what are they? the long pull is an issue with the brake, not the shifter, if worn, are what part, the hoods (bracket covers) or all over?

Some more details of what you have would be real useful here!
Thanks for your swift reply.

It says RD-5701 on the back of the rear derailleur and it was attached separately with two screws (where it broke) rather than being on the main rear axis.. if this helps.

I am happy with a 10-gear setup, not after an 11-gear necessarily.

The breaks are fine in my opinion, and yes the rear brake has a long pull, I will change the pads whether that makes a difference will see. The shifters are worn on the outside quite scratched all over.

I would try share a link for photos but I just cannot being a newbie, neither uploading photos.
Old 04-18-21, 04:46 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by toma01
Thanks for your swift reply.

It says RD-5701 on the back of the rear derailleur and it was attached separately with two screws (where it broke) rather than being on the main rear axis.. if this helps.
From what your saying (and this is where photos are really useful) it sound more like the hanger has broken, rather then the RD, as the RD only has a single bolt holding it on, where as most hangers have 2

Is it like one of the ones in this link? Gear hangers – Moda Bikes (moda-bikes.com)

-For the shifters, can you live with the cosmetic imperfections? as these are normally the most expensive parts to replace, an as you have 10 speed, you will run into a few issues with replacing them,

- Shimano no longer makes compatible 10 speed road shifters for your RD, the only current 10 speed road shifters Shimano make are 4700 Tiagra, which needs it's own unique RD

- Your limited by this to either NOS or 2nd hand, add to that the 1st gen under tape cabling shifters from Shimano aren't the most reliable, I have had a few sets of 6700, and they all failed, and this seems common, 5700 seem better, but your still looking at something with a unknown history.

- You have picked the worst possible time to look at upgrading/buying parts, since C19 parts have been in short supply, and expensive, it should calm down in a year or so, but since mid 2020 unless you were willing to hunt and wait, if you needed something specific, you are probably going to have to over pay for it, if you can get it.
Old 04-18-21, 05:03 AM
toma01

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101

Is it like one of the ones in this link?
Yes Exactly this is what has broken!!

THANK YOU!

Still needs a whole servicing and setup I guess.
Thanks for tips regards upgrades, I think I will be happy with this setup if it works properly after servicing.
Likes For toma01:
Old 04-18-21, 06:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...YaAoOLEALw_wcB

​​​​​​https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sb-r402k/
Old 04-18-21, 10:04 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Dura ace breaks...the shifters are very worn and left sided one has a long travel when breaking.
Braking is difficult when your brakes are breaking! And Dura Ace brakes are probably among the least likely to break.
< /pedant mode >
Welcome to Bike Forums!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-19-21, 03:51 PM
johnd01

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a similar upgrade question.
I acquired a new to me bike with Shimano 105 9 speed 11-34 cog. I am just getting back into cycling, after about 4 years out and have moved to where there are more hills. I felt I needed more low gearing so I got a cheap 11 speed 11-40 only to find out the rear derailleur would not climb to the low gear. I got a Shamono RD-M8000-SDS to take care of that only to find that the barend friction shifter would only shift to 9 speeds. I could do the lower 9 the upper 9 or the middle 9 but not 11 speeds. I tried to fix that by getting a Dura-ace 11-speed shifter to go with that and found out I could still only get 9 of 11 speeds. The cog set I have has the same spacing as the 9 speed I took off. They added 2 speeds on the spoke end of the free hub. I would like to get a shifter that would do 11 speeds. I am afraid that the only real way out is to go to a Dura-ace 11-speed cog. I would really like to be able to run a 9-speed chain. I am running a 10-speed chain now.
Should I get a Shamao 11-speed 11-42 to fix this?
Old 04-19-21, 04:05 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by johnd01
I have a similar upgrade question.
I acquired a new to me bike with Shimano 105 9 speed 11-34 cog. I am just getting back into cycling, after about 4 years out and have moved to where there are more hills. I felt I needed more low gearing so I got a cheap 11 speed 11-40 only to find out the rear derailleur would not climb to the low gear. I got a Shamono RD-M8000-SDS to take care of that only to find that the barend friction shifter would only shift to 9 speeds. I could do the lower 9 the upper 9 or the middle 9 but not 11 speeds. I tried to fix that by getting a Dura-ace 11-speed shifter to go with that and found out I could still only get 9 of 11 speeds. The cog set I have has the same spacing as the 9 speed I took off. They added 2 speeds on the spoke end of the free hub. I would like to get a shifter that would do 11 speeds. I am afraid that the only real way out is to go to a Dura-ace 11-speed cog. I would really like to be able to run a 9-speed chain. I am running a 10-speed chain now.
Should I get a Shamao 11-speed 11-42 to fix this?
In short: you cannot mix 9, 10 and 11 speed components. Your shifters, rear derailleur, chain and cassette must be compatible according to 9, 10, or 11 speeds.

That is, in order to guarantee compatibility: if you want an X-speed cassette, you will need an X-speed chain, an X-speed shifter, and an X-speed rear derailleur.

(There's some level of backward compatibility in that you can run a thinner chain on a system that accepts a wider one, but not vice-versa; or you may be able to kludge some things together if you're lucky - but that's getting more complicated than we need to for this discussion.)

Last edited by ridelikeaturtle; 04-19-21 at 04:11 PM.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 04-19-21, 05:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If your rear DR is a RD-5701, you only need to figure out it it is a short cage (ss) or a medium cage (gs) and you can still get them new.
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=53901

Unless you have an overriding reason to upgrade, put back on it what you know worked. It did work correctly at one time didn't it?

You do need to figure out if you need a hangar or if this was a direct mount on the dropout, then is that bent.
Old 04-19-21, 10:24 PM
johnd01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
In short: you cannot mix 9, 10 and 11 speed components. Your shifters, rear derailleur, chain and cassette must be compatible according to 9, 10, or 11 speeds.

That is, in order to guarantee compatibility: if you want an X-speed cassette, you will need an X-speed chain, an X-speed shifter, and an X-speed rear derailleur.

(There's some level of backward compatibility in that you can run a thinner chain on a system that accepts a wider one, but not vice-versa; or you may be able to kludge some things together if you're lucky - but that's getting more complicated than we need to for this discussion.)
Thank you for your input.
I have an 11-speed cassette, an 11 speed derailleur, and an 11-speed shifter. My problem is that the cassette has 9-speed spacing. It is 2 gears wider than a standard 11-speed cassette. The derailleur will make the shift if the shifter will pull enough cable to do it but it only pulls enough to shift the full range of 9 gears. I can manually pull enough cable to shift from 11 to 1 but the shifter will only pull enough to shift from 11 to 3. The 10-speed chain is not a problem because the chainrings and cassette are 9-speed spacing.
Old 04-19-21, 10:28 PM
johnd01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am more than $300 into this upgrade and the overriding reason is that I have not ridden much the last few years and I have moved into an area where there are hills and I have been a flatlander for the last 20 years. I really need to have some lower gears.
Old 04-19-21, 11:32 PM
toma01

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If your rear DR is a RD-5701, you only need to figure out it it is a short cage (ss) or a medium cage (gs) and you can still get them new.

Unless you have an overriding reason to upgrade, put back on it what you know worked. It did work correctly at one time didn't it?

You do need to figure out if you need a hangar or if this was a direct mount on the dropout, then is that bent.
It was only the hanger 🙌🏻 Arriving in the next few days! Thanks
(Also service booked for the weekend)
Likes For toma01:
Old 04-20-21, 03:06 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Thank you for your input.
I have an 11-speed cassette, an 11 speed derailleur, and an 11-speed shifter. My problem is that the cassette has 9-speed spacing. It is 2 gears wider than a standard 11-speed cassette. The derailleur will make the shift if the shifter will pull enough cable to do it but it only pulls enough to shift the full range of 9 gears. I can manually pull enough cable to shift from 11 to 1 but the shifter will only pull enough to shift from 11 to 3. The 10-speed chain is not a problem because the chainrings and cassette are 9-speed spacing.
You need to be more clear how your 11 speed cassette has 9 speed spacing. How did it get like that? If you bought an 11 speed cassette then it should have 11 speed spacing. If you have 11 speed derailleur and shifter then it will only shift on 11 speed spacing. It will not shift with 9 speed spacing.

11 and 9 speed cassettes have different spacing between cogs. Combinations of 11 or 9 speed derailleur and shifter will pull different amounts of cable per shift, which is why 11 speed derailleur and shifter cannot give you 9 speed spacing.

If you truly have all 11 speed components, no 9 speed components (especially 11 cogs with 11 speed spacing), and you can only shift 9 cogs, I recommend redoing the cable adjustment and indexing by releasing the cable, set index to 11, adjust high limit screw until derailleur is aligned to outermost cog, reattach cable, and adjust barrel to take up slack and fine tune.

If you can only shift 9 cogs, Are you on the highest index when shifting to the outermost cog or are you perhaps on the 9th index?

Which 2 cogs can you not shift to? The innermost or outermost? Is the derailleur hitting the low or high limit screws?
​​​​​​

Last edited by tomtomtom123; 04-20-21 at 03:15 AM.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 04-20-21, 03:09 AM
tomtomtom123

It was only the hanger 🙌🏻 Arriving in the next few days! Thanks
(Also service booked for the weekend)
If you would like to learn more about bicycle mechanics, you could also try to install the hanger yourself. Mounting it would only be 3 screws. Adjusting the limit screws, attaching the cable, and further adjustments. You may also need a hanger alignment tool.
Old 04-20-21, 04:17 AM
johnd01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
You need to be more clear how your 11 speed cassette has 9 speed spacing. How did it get like that? If you bought an 11 speed cassette then it should have 11 speed spacing. If you have 11 speed derailleur and shifter then it will only shift on 11 speed spacing. It will not shift with 9 speed spacing.

11 and 9 speed cassettes have different spacing between cogs. Combinations of 11 or 9 speed derailleur and shifter will pull different amounts of cable per shift, which is why 11 speed derailleur and shifter cannot give you 9 speed spacing.

If you truly have all 11 speed components, no 9 speed components (especially 11 cogs with 11 speed spacing), and you can only shift 9 cogs, I recommend redoing the cable adjustment and indexing by releasing the cable, set index to 11, adjust high limit screw until derailleur is aligned to outermost cog, reattach cable, and adjust barrel to take up slack and fine tune.

If you can only shift 9 cogs, Are you on the highest index when shifting to the outermost cog or are you perhaps on the 9th index?

Which 2 cogs can you not shift to? The innermost or outermost? Is the derailleur hitting the low or high limit screws?

​​​​​​
I really do have an 11-speed cassette but the spacing matches the 9-speed cassette I took off. This is the description "Bibike 8/9/10/11 Speed Bike Cassette 11-40T/11-42T/11-46T/11-50T Mountain Bike Cassette Compatible with Shimano Sram(Except Sram XD)" I picked the 11-speed 11-40t.

Last edited by johnd01; 04-20-21 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-20-21, 07:06 PM
tomtomtom123

I really do have an 11-speed cassette but the spacing matches the 9-speed cassette I took off. This is the description "Bibike 8/9/10/11 Speed Bike Cassette 11-40T/11-42T/11-46T/11-50T Mountain Bike Cassette Compatible with Shimano Sram(Except Sram XD)" I picked the 11-speed 11-40t.
I don't see anywhere that says the 11 speed cassette has 9 speed spacing. Could you please copy and paste what you see?

Even if it were true, you wouldn't be able to use your 11 speed derailleur and shifter to align with a cassette that has a 9 speed spacing. Do you realize that this concept is contradictory? If the 11 speed derailleur is shifting a different distance each step than the distance between cogs of a cassette that has 9 speed spacing, how are you able to get 9 precisely aligned shifts if the distances don't match?
Old 04-20-21, 07:32 PM
johnd01

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
I don't see anywhere that says the 11 speed cassette has 9 speed spacing. Could you please copy and paste what you see?

Even if it were true, you wouldn't be able to use your 11 speed derailleur and shifter to align with a cassette that has a 9 speed spacing. Do you realize that this concept is contradictory? If the 11 speed derailleur is shifting a different distance each step than the distance between cogs of a cassette that has 9 speed spacing, how are you able to get 9 precisely aligned shifts if the distances don't match?
I did not see anything there either, that is why I bought it. I did not think there was anything wrong until I got an 11-speed derailleur and the friction shifter would not move it from one side to the other but I could pull the cable by hand and get it to shift. I did adjust the derailleur to stop at the low gear. It would go at least one more gear if I let it. Then I got an 11-speed indexed shifter and it would only use 9 of the 11 gears. Then I compared the cassette widths and found the first 9 on the 11 was the same width as the 9-speed cassette.