Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trackers for grown ups

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Trackers for grown ups

Old 07-25-21, 07:50 AM
PrettyCurious

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2021 GoExpress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Trackers for grown ups

Our community has been searching for an older man who didn't come back from his daily hike on Mon. I reported to help search after work on Tues, but wasn't deployed due to weather. I still had my bike in my car from sundays ride, so I biked the search area after work on wed. all the while thinking it could happen to me. I could fall down a ditch just out of sight, and no one would find me. Today is Sun, and he is still missing.
So I am thinking about installing a tracker on my phone so my husband will be able to know where I am at all times. If nothing else, he'll know when I'm coming home for dinner.
but does anyone know if there is a tracker that lets us both track each other? I mean if he can know where I am, why can't I know where he is too?
Old 07-25-21, 08:13 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
A number of different cycling computers can be used in walking mode and can provide a Live Track function. The Garmin models require a BlueTooth connection to a nearby smartphone that in turn uses cell data to send a e-mail link you provide. Hammerhead does something similar only uses an inexpensive SIM card on the unit, sends an e-mail link you can forward to whomever.

Or just get a Garmin InReach satellite unit, that tracks your location and can send out an emergency message when you press a button.
Old 07-25-21, 08:15 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked 3,538 Times in 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
So I am thinking about installing a tracker on my phone so my husband will be able to know where I am at all times. If nothing else, he'll know when I'm coming home for dinner.
but does anyone know if there is a tracker that lets us both track each other? I mean if he can know where I am, why can't I know where he is too?
The Find My app on the iPhone does just that. I share my location with my wife, and she shares her location with me. Very simple and reliable. You can even set alerts for when a person leaves or arrives somewhere.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-25-21, 08:32 AM
PrettyCurious

Thanks, but I don't have an iphone.
Old 07-25-21, 09:01 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
Thanks, but I don't have an iphone.
https://support.google.com/maps/answ...form%3DAndroid
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-25-21, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you have a smartphone, you already have the ability to let someone know where you are located. On most phones that aren't iPhones that will be an Android phone. Most already have google maps loaded on them so all you have to do is go to the menu of Google maps and share your location. By default, it only shares for a few hours. But you can set that up to be shared until you turn it off or any other time period you care to share for.

If you want crash detection, there are some apps that already do that. You'll probably get some false alerts, but you can cancel those prior to them going out and scaring whomever you set up as your emergency contact.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-25-21, 10:05 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Not sure if it runs on Android, but the iPhone Life360 app allows the whole family to track one another. We use the free version, which is limited to 24 hour breadcrumb tracking, but for instantaneous location it works well. I also run a Garmin head unit with the live tracking feature, which sends a live email link of my ride. Garmin’s newer units also have emergency locator functions (via the Connect app) that will react to certain g-force conditions (like a spill) to send an automated emergency message via text. Of course, all of these work only when you have a Bluetooth connected phone that’s connected to a network.
Likes For But its me:
Old 07-25-21, 10:11 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
iPhone Location

For iPhone users…..

Go to Settings - Apple ID - Find My - Find my iPhone - Send Last Location = On

This will send the location of the iPhone automatically when the battery reaches critical low.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 07-25-21, 12:31 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,170 Posts
There's an Android version called Find My Device. Never used it
Old 07-25-21, 12:53 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Lots of devices, google is your friend.
Old 07-25-21, 01:19 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Strava has a tracking feature with a paid subscription that you can use to let someone track your ride in real time. It's called "beacon."
Old 07-25-21, 01:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
Apps such as mSpy or PanSpy would allow for tracking each other.
Old 07-25-21, 01:44 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
I have a spot tracker. Much better than a cellphone, there are a lot of places around here that don't have cell service.
It's relatively expensive, but worth it for me.
Old 07-25-21, 03:24 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Whenever I lose my ANDROID phone, I just google "Find My Phone"... and it tells where the phone last was and rings the phone. Quite handy if one occasionally misplaces it.

It didn't take any setup. I use GMAIL on all of my devices.

I would think the EMS would be able to access a similar app without too much effort. Search Warrant?
Old 07-25-21, 03:41 PM
PrettyCurious

I ended up clicking on google maps, and "Sharing" my location with my husband. I made him share with me too.
I feel better knowing they won't need resources from 3 counties to find my butt, if something happens. Drove 7 miles to test it out on a 10 mile trail, well 20 mi. there and back.
Likes For PrettyCurious:
Old 07-26-21, 11:16 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
If you need tracking in areas without cellular signal, two garmin inreaches with live tracking enabled will do the job.
Old 07-26-21, 11:55 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I use a Garmin Vivosport watch and livetrack. The watch has internal GPS and 8hr of battery using GPS. The phone then only needs to use bluetooth and cell data to transmit location. This saves the phone battery and also lets my mother and wife watch my ride.

Road ID also makes a GPS tracking app that has a stationary alert. It does rely on your phone GPS, but if you don't move for a certain period of time it will first alert you and if you don't respond it then notifies the emergency contacts you've specified.
Old 07-26-21, 12:50 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Thanks for pointing out this really easy to use Google Maps feature, I didn't know it existed. Could also be useful for group rides, or big events where getting split up is easy to do. And doesn't require 73% of phone users (Android market share vs. iPhone) to install a special tracking app.
Old 07-27-21, 08:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
My Lezyne GPS computer let me set it up to email my wife a link that will allow her to track me any time I am recording a ride. Not recommended if you plan to stop by some bars or the mistress's place, but it's nice for them to know where to look if you're not back by the promised time. After all, the life insurance money is delayed if they can't find your body!
Old 07-27-21, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
The Find My app on the iPhone does just that. I share my location with my wife, and she shares her location with me. Very simple and reliable. You can even set alerts for when a person leaves or arrives somewhere.
Thanks Terry. My wife and I set this up for one another since we don’t always cycle together and go on multi-hour rides. This adds an element of comfort if one or the other is running late and we can see the other moving toward home, hopefully

Likes For rsbob: