Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Feeling 40-45 years younger on my new bike.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 11:24 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

I know BF has an Electric Bike sub-forum, but this post has more to do with age than the type of bike. About a month ago, I purchased a Pinarello Dyodo. It's a pedal-assist electric bike from the Pinarello family, (you only get a motor assist if you are pedaling, the harder one pedals, the more assist it provides). The frame is the same layup as the Prince and Dogma. Riding it, you can feel the pedigree. Same carbon quality as the Prince. The Dogma is the best and the highest quality, (and lightest).

Today, I rode a 50-miler, and this evening, I'm not totally exhausted or physically destroyed as I would be if using one of my older "analog" bikes. It dawned on me, around 40 miles into the ride, that I felt the power I used to have when I was in my 20s and 30s. When I wanted a burst of power to crest a little rise, the electric assist felt like the days of old when my body was young and strong, (I'm currently a few weeks shy of age 69).

The Dyodo has four assist modes, none, low, medium, and turbo. Today's half-century was mostly flat, but did have a few hills and a 15-mile stretch with a stiff headwind. Used all four power modes today. In heavy beach traffic, I went no assist as the speeds needed to be slow because of kids and dogs. With no assist, it just feels like a heavy bike. The low power assist mode is pretty worthless, but did use it some on pancake-flat stretches when there were other riders nearby. The middle power mode is the most useful and a good compromise between power usage and amount of assist. The turbo mode was most useful on the hills and into the headwind.

At times, it felt like I was "cheating", especially when I passed riders on "real" bikes and then left them in the dust. At least I wore my Velo Poseur/Charlatan kit today. That was appropriate.
Old 06-28-20, 04:18 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
At times, it felt like I was "cheating", especially when I passed riders on "real" bikes and then left them in the dust. At least I wore my Velo Poseur/Charlatan kit today. That was appropriate.

Sounds like you are having fun. I say go for it!

Likes For Biker395:
Old 06-28-20, 07:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
volosong - as same agers, I hear ya.
I've got enough bikes that missing an electric assist is beginning to feel deficient. I'm going to wait about 5 years when those garage queen electrics start showing up on Craigs.

Maybe older brother will send me the 2 electric Specialized S-Works mtn bikes he bought and never rides.
Old 06-28-20, 07:52 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I turn 72 in a couple of months and I have been eyeing high end ebikes like your Pinarello. I want a light weight, gravel or touring style bike for pretty much the same reasons you mention. I'm not in a rush since I get out ~4 times a week on my regular bike but the time is coming. With each passing year, the options and prices improve.
Old 06-28-20, 08:30 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,026 Times in 4,469 Posts
meh
Old 06-28-20, 11:59 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
I think the pedal assist bikes are a great innovation. It's good that they get people out riding who otherwise may give up biking for one reason or another. The technology behind them seems to be getting better each year.

Haven't used one yet myself but can certainly see where they may be an option down the road.

Happy it brought back the joy of riding for you!
Old 06-28-20, 12:30 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
On a ride through Austria on our way to Budapest my wife and I got tired of fighting strong headwinds and called the tour company to change to electric bikes. They met us at our hotel in Vienna and we did the exchange. Best move we could have made. We then had a good ride regardless of wind direction. We don't own ebikes, but I can see them in our future. We are in our early seventies.
Old 06-28-20, 07:21 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I wonder how I might could just add an electric motor to the Pinarello Prince that I already ride???
Old 06-29-20, 12:20 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Life is short- enjoy!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 06-29-20, 06:55 AM
momsonherbike

Bikes: All mine are electric bikes now

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I wonder how I might could just add an electric motor to the Pinarello Prince that I already ride???
Don't. Your Prince will look like a crappy pauper then. No DIY ebike has ever looked sleek because of the external battery or a bulky ugly add-on motor for pedal assist.

Best to simply buy the latest technology already integrated into the bike itself, like the OP's bike, or this one. Technology in the ebike industry is moving extremely fast, and producing better looking, faster, more reliable bikes for us old timers that still want to fully enjoy our cycling on a quality built bike without stopping from old age injuries and pain.
Old 06-29-20, 10:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I firmly believe bikes keep you young. I am 82 and ride approx 25 miles every other day.
Old 06-30-20, 10:30 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I do not have any eBike plans personally, but I really like the way they have brought more people into cycling.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-30-20, 08:16 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I firmly believe bikes keep you young. I am 82 and ride approx 25 miles every other day.
I’m with you. At 72, I’ve ridden nearly 300 miles in the month since I got my Turbo Vado 4 XL. In the previous year I’d only ridden about 110 miles on my Cannondale Adventure 1. Illness was the main cause, but after recovering from the illness my conditioning had declined to a degree that had taken the joy out of all but the shortest rides.

Ebike = Joy
Old 06-30-20, 08:27 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I’m with you. At 72, I’ve ridden nearly 300 miles in the month since I got my Turbo Vado 4 XL. In the previous year I’d only ridden about 110 miles on my Cannondale Adventure 1. Illness was the main cause, but after recovering from the illness my conditioning had declined to a degree that had taken the joy out of all but the shortest rides.

Ebike = Joy
Old 07-02-20, 02:42 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts

That is exactly why I will neither ride nor buy an e bike. I won't work as hard.