Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New to bike commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New to bike commuting

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 04:09 PM
Bike4pie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to bike commuting

Hi all,
I'm a recreational biker and a very fair-weather bike commuter. I'd like to get more regular with my commuting, but I don't really know where to start. Your posts on your commuter bikes has given me really good insight into where I should look for my next ride, but are there other things I should know about if I'm going to commute regularly? In short, what do I need to do to not look like a noob on the bike path every morning? Special gear recommendations? Etiquette do's and dont's? Kind of worried about making a fool of myself amongst the Lance Armstrongs out there. TIA!
Old 03-09-21, 04:39 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Go ahead a ride to work and back. That's what makes a bicycle commuter. You'll probably do just fine.

If you live where it rains, you might want to take a rain jacket. If you keep it up, make sure you know how to fix a flat and have the appropriate tools. Figure out how to carry what you need, whether that's wallet and phone, clothes to change into at work, or clothes, towel, soap, and a laptop. Find a good route that doesn't add too much time to your commute but on which you feel safe. Leave home early if you're constrained as to what time you need to be at work. Think about how you'll adjust your commute if your bike breaks down -- call a spouse, housemate, or coworker for a ride, use public transportation, or ... ?
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 03-09-21, 04:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Don't have any answers for you, but I can suggest some questions to think about:

What's the bike parking situation at work? Is it protected from the elements? Is it protected from thieves and passersby?
How far is the ride? Will you get sweaty or dirty on the way? If so, you might want to ride in bike kit and then change when you get there. If not, you might just ride in work clothes.
What do you need to carry and how do want to carry it?
Will you need to ride in the dark and thus need lights and blinkies?
Do you have the means of dealing with a flat or mechanical?
Old 03-09-21, 05:18 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Don't worry about how you look. It'll be obvious that you look like you're riding to work. The real cyclists (whatever that means) will be courteous and supportive, to heck with the rest.

I try to be predictable and not a jerk, but I expect others to follow a basic etiquette of giving particular consideration to the older or slower cyclists (such as me), and letting the racers fend for themselves.

When I started commuting, I always brought a rain jacket with me. Over the years of being out on my bike, I've gained a pretty good sense of the local weather, and gear up accordingly. If the chance of getting wet is less than 10%, then I wing it.

I find it useful to lay everything out the night before, so I'm not fumbling for stuff in the morning. I also check my inflation regularly, and anything else that could deteriorate on a bike. That way, I'm not faced with the decision of whether or not to ride, when I actually have to leave my house. This helped a lot towards making it a habit and eventually an addiction.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 03-10-21, 10:42 PM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Be prepared! Have a spare tube, tire levers, and pump for changing a tube. Pack a light weight rain jacket, and dry socks during rainy periods. Make sure you have lights! Not just for night time, but to keep you visible to cars during the day time. Wear a helmet. Play with routes and have fun! Be sure to allot time for unplanned things like flats. Also allot time to cool down, clean up, and change if needed. I try to keep a pack of baby wipes, and a clean set of clothes at the office just in case.

Don't worry about what you look like. Cycling has a ton of niche fashion rules, wear what you're comfortable in. Some days I ride in jeans and a t-shirt, some days I wear my road kit and take the extra long route.
Old 03-11-21, 12:24 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Don’t sweat it. Road cyclists, MTBers, commuters are three different subcultures within cycling. Commuting is anything goes as far as clothes and gear.
Old 03-11-21, 07:28 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Don't worry about how you look. It'll be obvious that you look like you're riding to work. The real cyclists (whatever that means) will be courteous and supportive, to heck with the rest.
Amen to that! Do you own thing and don't worry! As far as etiquette on the bike path, just simply be courteous and the rest will take care of itself.
Likes For timdow:
Old 03-11-21, 09:55 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Bike4pie You are lucky. I commuted for about 16 years before I discovered bikeforums, and it changed my commuting for the better in every way!
The main thing is to not worry what you look like or if you are doing something "wrong".

There is usually more than one way to accomplish the different aspects of bike commuting, such a as bike type, gear, apparel, routes, how to tote your stuff, etc. As you continue to ride over the weeks, months and years (28 for me until my job situation changed last December) you will discover what works for you and what doesn't.

An easy way to search bikeforums is to use an external search engine (like google) and add the word "bikeforums.net" to the search (or site:bikeforums.net).

And just as you shouldn't worry about how you look while riding (except "visible"...you should always look visible in traffic), you shouldn't worry about asking "dumb" questions. This being an online forum, people will taunt people who post "smart" questions too, so just ask away. I've been here since 2009 and I still ask "dumb" questions. But you will learn more from asking "dumb" questions than not asking questions at all.

So welcome, get ready to enjoy biking in a whole new way, and...go, Go, GO!
Old 03-11-21, 11:13 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
I just ride a bike it has lights and a way to carry stuff. I dont care what I look like.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 03-11-21, 02:23 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Don't worry about what you look like, or how others look. I commute in the same "Lance Armstrong" clothes that I use when on the fast weekend rides, because proper cycling kit is comfortable, breathable, and functional, and then I change into work clothes once I get there. The only "commuting gear" I'd recommend is a Topeak QuickTrack rack and rear trunk bag, with drop down panniers to carry a lunch, change of clothes, and sneakers. A backpack will do, but can be sweaty or heavy, and puts the weight up high, instead of lower and on the bike and off your shoulders. And learning cycling etiquette is essential regardless of why you're riding, and there's lots of existing threads on that subject alone, read them all.
Old 03-13-21, 09:45 AM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My suggestion would be to test the route you plan on riding before you start commuting. This should give you an idea of how long your commute will take, the type of road conditions you will deal with and the type of clothing you will need. So if you work Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm, you would test out the route on a Saturday or a Sunday around that time.
Old 03-13-21, 09:58 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I never ride outside easy walking distance w/o flat-fixing stuff. Minimum level, spare tube, the means to install and inflate it.
Beyond that, it’s all down to what your bailout options are.
WRT clothes etc, wear what works for you. I’m equally unlikely to ride in all bike-specific kit as I am to ride w/o any. Cycling specific pants have a point in that they’re more likely to hold up well to being rubbed against the saddle. Cycling jackets tend not to spinnaker as much as something like a random running jacket.
Likes For dabac:
Old 03-15-21, 06:28 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't have to ride everyday. I had one ride that took over an hour each way. I couldn't do that everyday. I later had a ride that was only a few miles which I could do everyday.

Ride what you can and enjoy it.
Old 03-26-21, 09:24 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Bikes: Fixed Gear, MTB

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think, after your first commuting ride to work, all your fears will disappear. You cannot really make fool of yourself. Commuting is fun and keeps you fit. Also, it helps me to wake up in the morning.
Old 03-26-21, 08:59 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
Fenders

I’ve been commuting regularly the last 15 years in south Texas.

I have fenders on both my primary and backup commuter bikes.

Also, I carry foil packs of mosquito repellent with my flat tire kit.

These items may not be needed in a drier climate, but I’ve found pumping a river into my crack and swatting while installing a tube to be unpleasant.
Old 03-27-21, 04:46 PM
Aussie_Cyclist
Aussie Commuter

Bikes: Merida eSPRESSO 300SE EQ 2021

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I commute to work every day. Prepare everything the night before and enjoy the journey.
Oh and a pack of baby wipes in your bag is always handy on the hot days.
Old 03-27-21, 06:51 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Just do it. Then, figure out what you need to do to make it better.
Old 03-29-21, 08:58 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I’ve been commuting regularly the last 15 years in south Texas.

I have fenders on both my primary and backup commuter bikes.

Also, I carry foil packs of mosquito repellent with my flat tire kit.

These items may not be needed in a drier climate, but I’ve found pumping a river into my crack and swatting while installing a tube to be unpleasant.
Lol. The mosquitos are not really an issue here in California. But I bet, I would carry some repellant as well, if I would live in Texas.
Old 03-29-21, 08:04 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeEthics
Lol. The mosquitos are not really an issue here in California. But I bet, I would carry some repellant as well, if I would live in Texas.
Speak for yourself! Here on the far north coast mosquitoes are most definitely an issue. The trick is to pedal faster than they can fly.
Old 03-30-21, 07:30 AM
Inisfallen

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike4pie
Hi all,
I'm a recreational biker and a very fair-weather bike commuter. I'd like to get more regular with my commuting, but I don't really know where to start. Your posts on your commuter bikes has given me really good insight into where I should look for my next ride, but are there other things I should know about if I'm going to commute regularly? In short, what do I need to do to not look like a noob on the bike path every morning? Special gear recommendations? Etiquette do's and dont's? Kind of worried about making a fool of myself amongst the Lance Armstrongs out there. TIA!
Funny.

Really, this is the last thing you have to worry about. A person riding a bike to work in the morning is hardly making a fool of him/herself. Some dude all dressed up in spandex and a yellow jersey, on the other hand, living his Tour de France fantasy on the way to work . . .

You know what looks funny? Anyone over six feet tall riding a folding bike. Still, it gets me to work every morning.
Old 03-30-21, 08:07 AM
BikeEthics
Bike Ethically

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Speak for yourself! Here on the far north coast mosquitoes are most definitely an issue. The trick is to pedal faster than they can fly.
Haha. It must be the wind that keeps them away over here.
Likes For BikeEthics:
Old 03-30-21, 02:31 PM
Difficultocelot

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
Funny.

Really, this is the last thing you have to worry about. A person riding a bike to work in the morning is hardly making a fool of him/herself. Some dude all dressed up in spandex and a yellow jersey, on the other hand, living his Tour de France fantasy on the way to work . . .

You know what looks funny? Anyone over six feet tall riding a folding bike. Still, it gets me to work every morning.
As small as those bikes are, that sounds harsh on their knees
Old 03-31-21, 08:04 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by Difficultocelot
As small as those bikes are, that sounds harsh on their knees
Not really. Or mine isn't, anyway. The seat and bars extend far enough from the folded position so that I get a fairly normal seating position. My legs are fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke. It's pretty comfortable.
Old 03-31-21, 08:27 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
Funny.

So you think tall, folding bike riders are funny, and OK, yet you cast judgement towards fully spandexed commuters (myself included). If you didn't know it already, you're part of the problem.
Old 03-31-21, 08:37 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by Riveting
So you think tall, folding bike riders are funny, and OK, yet you cast judgement towards fully spandexed commuters (myself included). If you didn't know it already, you're part of the problem.
Lighten up. It was a joke, meant to let the original poster know that making a fool of him/herself should be the last thing on the list of concerns. I am a tall folding bike rider, well over six feet tall, riding a little bike with tiny wheels. I look funny. I'm fine with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.