Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hail, but no shelter

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hail, but no shelter

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 11:58 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Hail, but no shelter

Has anyone ever gotten into a hailstorm with no immediate shelter nearby? Maybe add thunder, lightning and heavy rain in the mix ...
How painful was your experience? Or, what does one do?
Old 05-09-21, 12:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Sure, just keep riding. Provided you have a helmet to protect your head, what else can you do? You'll end up with some welts on your arms, but unless we're talking extremely rare baseball-sized hail, there's not going to be much risk of permanent damage.

Also in terms of bike commuting, looking at the weather forecast is key. If there's a good chance for lightning and strong wind, find a different means of transportation or try to adjust riding to a milder part of the day.
Old 05-09-21, 02:01 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I dunno! I guess you could put your jacket or poncho over your bike and hide under it.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-09-21, 02:10 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I use Accuweather app and find it very good at the next few hours at my specific location.

However I don’t think it forecasts a storm that hasn’t developed yet.

One “thunderstorms in the area” afternoon I looked and appeared to have a hole in the weather to go home. Pack up and change and 15 minutes later I’m on the way home. 10 minutes into my journey the skies open up and lightning starts flashing. I was in an undeveloped park area and hustled 2 miles to a pavilion for cover.

Point is that you can get surprised and need to think of nearest shelter.

I’m very allergic to lightning. I break out in death.
Old 05-10-21, 07:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've been caught out a few times. Psychologically, hail hitting you when you're stopped hurts worse than what hits you when you're riding. Or maype it's physiological, when you stop you relax and then get pinged, even if you're standing under a shallow overhang and the wind blows it in. The worst is small hailstones that fly through a helmet vent.

What to do? Either swear a lot, or pray for sunshine. Or both.
Old 05-11-21, 12:23 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Has anyone ever gotten into a hailstorm with no immediate shelter nearby? Maybe add thunder, lightning and heavy rain in the mix ...
How painful was your experience? Or, what does one do?
Yes. Once.

Was quite painful. Stones were roughly the size of golf balls. Hurt quite a lot.

No cover, so no means of guarding against strikes. Simply sucked it up and became much more cautious about "ugly" skies and what they might contain in them. (Hadn't seen a violent hailstorm front prior to that day. Won't ever forget its look ... and how rapidly it moved.)

I wince each time I see a news story about baseball sized hail storms. Can't imagine how damaging that must be, if stuck in the middle of it. Deadly, probably.
Old 05-11-21, 04:34 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
https://www.weather.gov/safety/lightning-outdoors

Lightning safety outdoors.
Old 05-18-21, 05:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
What if the hail doesn't immediately melt? Then you're riding on wet ball bearings.