Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

First tubeless set-up. Tape?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 04:56 PM
mrmb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

So, I have the proper stans tubeless rim tape.

However, I am having a hard time getting full rim-to-tape contact. I and up with gaps where it would ideal to have contact.

The rim (White Industries G25A) is far from a flat surface.

That said, do I need FULL CONTACT or is it fine to simply go over the top of the huge "valley" in the rim?

Old 07-24-21, 05:05 PM
mrmb

This is what i end up with...

Contact, but not full contact.

Old 07-24-21, 05:48 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
This is what i end up with...

Contact, but not full contact.

Huh? What are you talking about? Looks great!

ETA... I'm not sure of the rim orientation for a front asymmetrical rim, or if it's even necessary for a front disk wheel.
Somebody else?

Last edited by trailangel; 07-24-21 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-24-21, 07:29 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
The issue with having the tape not fully in the channel is that you lose the additional space that may be needed to mount a tight tire.

As for rim orientation, the asymmetry is intended help to balance out the L/R spoke angle & tension, mainly on a rear wheel. As long as this particular orientation doesn't overdo this affect it should be fine. Without knowing all the factors, it's hard to judge.
Old 07-24-21, 10:40 PM
mrmb

Originally Posted by KCT1986
The issue with having the tape not fully in the channel is that you lose the additional space that may be needed to mount a tight tire.

As for rim orientation, the asymmetry is intended help to balance out the L/R spoke angle & tension, mainly on a rear wheel. As long as this particular orientation doesn't overdo this affect it should be fine. Without knowing all the factors, it's hard to judge.
This hub, shimano deore xt, with a symmetrical rim ends up with uneven spoke tension. This asymmetrical rim corrected that.

So, I played around with this (tubeless set-up) pretty much all afternoon. The rear came out great, but the front kept leaking profusely out the valve stem. I got fed up with it and put tubes in. I left in the stans tubeless rim tape.

The tubes should play nicely with the two layers of stans rim tape, right?
Old 07-25-21, 01:46 AM
KCT1986

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmb
This hub, shimano deore xt, with a symmetrical rim ends up with uneven spoke tension. This asymmetrical rim corrected that.

So, I played around with this (tubeless set-up) pretty much all afternoon. The rear came out great, but the front kept leaking profusely out the valve stem. I got fed up with it and put tubes in. I left in the stans tubeless rim tape.

The tubes should play nicely with the two layers of stans rim tape, right?
Yes, that what I expected with the asymmetrical rim set-up that way, nice tension balance.
Old 07-25-21, 02:20 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
When I converted my MTB to tubeless the rim tape looked like the OP's but wouldn't totally seal, air would leak from the valve stem area. I put an extra wrap of Gorilla tape over it and it's good to go. Another advantage of putting Gorilla tape over the stock rim tape is that the bead of the tire is pressed tighter on it so that I was able to get air in the tires with a floor pump. It provided a better seal because of the extra thickness and I didn't have to use a compressor.
Old 07-25-21, 07:21 AM
TheoMcD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I do find cleaning the wheel from all tape residue using a rag with some IPA makes a large difference