Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980 Jack Taylor Super Touring Tandem

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 04:30 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I was lucky enough to find this Jack Taylor tandem with a captain's position in my size (if not a tad big) made in the year of my birth just two hours drive from me. I won the auction and hit the road just after it ended. The captain's seat tube is 63cm CTC and the stoker is 59cm CTC.

This winter I will do a complete overhaul. I will probably change the bars and brake levers as well as the fenders and lights, putting the originals away for safe keeping.

I was told that this tandem originally belonged to an Englishman who brought it to the US. Years later, when he moved back to England, he decided he didn't want to incur the expense of shipping it back. I suspect he took the saddles with him as the originals were no longer with the bike.

I can't wait to get it overhauled, cleaned, polished and on the road cruising at 30mph. I've wanted a Jack Taylor since first discovering the brothers several years ago. That this one fits me and is from my birth year makes it all the more special. Too bad my wife's not 5'10" so she could ride it with me.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-02-12 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-01-12, 04:31 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-01-12 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 04:32 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-01-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 04:42 PM
Elev12k

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 37 Posts
That is totally awesome!

Now it is looking for a stoker. How do you approach that task?
Old 01-01-12, 04:47 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

I have several friends who would be up to the task, Mel. My friend who rides ~18k miles a year would be a good candidate. I'm looking forward to some club rides at high speeds.
Old 01-01-12, 04:48 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I've been waiting to see this! AMAZING bike...HUGE, but amazing.

The tubing looks pretty thin in diameter...I'm betting you'll get some flex in the rear position.
Old 01-01-12, 05:09 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That is one beautiful tandem atmo! I have noticed that the Jack Taylor bicycles have some of the most nicely done boxlining of any out there. The lining is simple and elegant, not overwrought.

WRT the stoker's position being too tall for your wife to ride, I suggest shortened cranks. My wife is 5'4" and rides my Davidson which is 50cm c/c and the seatpost is extended by about 2 1/2 inches with a Brooks Flyer saddle. Maybe between a combination of shortened cranks, "slamming" the stoker's seatpost and using a saddle that has a lower profile like a B-17 may make the bike manageable for your wife. I'm sure you already know this but just in case you haven't thought of it before now, the stoker does not need to support the bike - stokers feet are supposed to remain on the pedals when in the saddle.
Old 01-01-12, 05:11 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I have several friends who would be up to the task, Mel. My friend who rides ~18k miles a year would be a good candidate. I'm looking forward to some club rides at high speeds.
And with a tandem you'll definitely get some high speeds, that's for sure! Since it doesn't have a drum brake, if you can find one you might want to think about one for fast descents.
Old 01-01-12, 05:17 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
FABULOUS!! funny thing is I notice a BJ tandem somewhere this afternoon and I may have to go look at it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-01-12, 05:18 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The tubing looks pretty thin in diameter...I'm betting you'll get some flex in the rear position.
I believe the Taylor brothers were the only builders to which Reynolds supplied the special 531 tandem tubing. They were skilled and known for their tandems (pretty much the best during this time period) so I'm not worried about it in the least. Those BB shells are just gorgeously brazed.

Originally Posted by photogravity
And with a tandem you'll definitely get some high speeds, that's for sure! Since it doesn't have a drum brake, if you can find one you might want to think about one for fast descents.
I'll buy an Arai if one comes around, but I've spoken to several vintage tandem riders and they tell me I'll be fine without one. Note that there's a cable stop brazed on the non-drive side chain stay for the actuator cable so if I find one that's nice. My wife is 5'5". I'm not going to replace the cranks and the difference is too small for a child stoker crank, I reckon. She'd seldom ride with me anyhow.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-01-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 05:23 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is quite the tallboy tandem you've acquired. I might have a J.Taylor stoker stem for you to fit on back, in the spirit of PIF, when I return home from AK. My 650b Tourist model #7590 is a bit smaller at 24/22 ST, but is nearly identical to yours minus the dynamo/integrated wiring fitments. The Reynolds butted tubing decals on mine have crumbled as well, love that Forest Green color!
I recall a lovely Campagnolo tandem Crankset w/bottom brackets of yours recently, keeping with the Specialites TA?
Just got a wheelset put together, looking forward to a bit of tandeming. I don't expect you'll have too much trouble finding a stoker.
Old 01-01-12, 05:26 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

I'll buy an Arai if one comes around, but I've spoken to several vintage tandem riders and they tell me I'll be fine without one. My wife is 5'5". I'm not going to replace the cranks and difference is too small for a child stoker crank I reckon. She'd seldom ride with me anyhow.
Well given the stoker's seatube is 59cm and your wife is 5'5" it would be a challenge to get a good fit even with shortened cranks, I'd imagine. Yeah, just ride it with your buddies instead. Besides, you don't want to have to pedal your wife around anyway!!
Old 01-01-12, 05:29 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by Shaneferd
That is quite the tallboy tandem you've acquired. I might have a J.Taylor stoker stem for you to fit on back, in the spirit of PIF, when I return home from AK. My 650b Tourist model #7590 is a bit smaller at 24/22 ST, but is nearly identical to yours minus the dynamo/integrated wiring fitments. The Reynolds butted tubing decals on mine have crumbled as well, love that Forest Green color!
I recall a lovely Campagnolo tandem Crankset w/bottom brackets of yours recently, keeping with the Specialites TA?
Just got a wheelset put together, looking forward to a bit of tandeming. I don't expect you'll have too much trouble finding a stoker.
Cool! I'm told many JT tandems were built around 650B wheels. A fellow here in town ordered one in the mid 70s. The Campagnolo tandem cranks weren't mine. I'll keep these cranks as is.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 01-01-12 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 05:43 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been having a hunt for differing timing rings, and have scared up pairs in 28, 32 & 35 tooth. The Grand Bois Lierres will fit for now, and some Michelin World tours would be great for eat-em-up riding. I'm still hoping to use a pair of Hetres for my lighter weight speed configuration. If you ever need to refit your frame, the brass cheesehead bolts are designated 2ba. I ordered mine from Great Britain, an you can find them in varying size. I have a few in 3/4" for the sake of fenderline adjustment. The eccentric pinch bolts are Gripfast, and similar to the ones fitted on J.Taylor stems.
Old 01-01-12, 05:52 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Beautiful bike, and appears to be in great shape. Being built in 1980 puts you and the bike at a whopping 31 years old! I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years.
Old 01-01-12, 06:19 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
fyi you can ride a tandem solo. i've heard they are rather luxurious.
Old 01-01-12, 07:48 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Justin,

That JT is the score of a lifetime. It looks like it was stored in a nice, dry location and the paint looks fantastic. What a nice set of parts on this baby, as well. I'm sure you're going to do a top notch restoration and I can't wait to see the final iteration.

By the way, my wife would fit stoker just fine .

Originally Posted by illwafer
A local friend of mine rides his Santana tandem solo all around Cambridge. Makes for some rather predictable and tired comments from passersby ("Hey buddy, you lost someone!"). And I ride my Bike Friday tandem solo after dropping my daughter off at school. For the most part they ride like long-tail bikes, but the rear end can get a bit uneasy without some weight back there. They are designed to handle and ride best with weight on both ends.
Old 01-01-12, 07:54 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by southpawboston
By the way, my wife would fit stoker just fine .
Thanks, Anton. I'm very happy to have it. PM me for my address and I'll send Tiffany your way.

Originally Posted by illwafer
Originally Posted by southpawboston
For the most part they ride like long-tail bikes, but the rear end can get a bit uneasy without some weight back there. They are designed to handle and ride best with weight on both ends.

I'll ride it around the block for to work out bugs, but I have plenty of bikes designed for one person I'd rather ride solo.
Old 01-01-12, 08:00 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Thanks, Anton. I'm very happy to have it. PM me for my address and I'll send Tiffany your way.
Ha, I was going to suggest a trade but held off.

I'm expecting I can "try before I buy"?
Old 01-01-12, 08:18 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
That paint looks like it was applied yesterday! (It wasn't, was it?) - Anyway it looks fab, Justin. Quite a score!
Old 01-01-12, 08:21 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Thanks, Auchen. The paint really does look great. I mean, I haven't even wiped the dust off! It was obviously seldom ridden and stored properly.
Old 01-02-12, 07:20 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Beautiful bike...I ride our tandem solo on occasion, usually because I have dropped my bride off and wanted to go somewhere else. Haven't heard too many comments, probably because we don't have much pedestrian/cycle traffic in this area.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-02-12, 08:23 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Wow, wow, wow, and WOW! Justin, what a great score! I just kept looking at the pictures and marveling at this beautiful tandem.

You need to add the British Green Brooks B-17 saddles and your dad in the stoker position.

What type of RD and FD is it running? Do you have the front fender?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-02-12, 09:27 AM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Fantastic score Justin, congrats! I've always admired the box lining on Jack Taylors, super classy.
Old 01-02-12, 09:29 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Taylors are so understated yet so distinctive and eye catching. Really remarkable bike Justin...love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.