Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Gravel road touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Gravel road touring

Old 12-05-15, 10:59 AM
Teamdarb

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
This
Old 12-05-15, 11:00 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Not if you use the right chain lubricant (Hint: it the one that isn't oily)
Are we talking White Lightning poo goo ? And can you stuff it in your derailleurs, on your spokes, hubs and rims, your panniers, your shoes, in your lungs,......that dust just gets everywhere.
Old 12-05-15, 11:02 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'm interested in looking at the possibility of gravel road touring. A lot of potential here in Missouri. Here in St. Louis there is the Gateway off road cyclist group. I missed the last meeting. So fill me in a bit if you can.
Gravel roads vary widely. There's places like the Katy, GAP or Erie Canal

which are nice a smooth and could easily be ridden by a road bike with narrowish tires (25mm). I've ridden on gravel roads in southern Ontario that were almost as fast as pavement and were certainly in better condition than a lot of roads around Detroit

You can find similar roads in New Mexico

this one is part of the Great Divide Route.

Then there are the more challenging dirt roads like those on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which work better with a mountain bike and a trailer

And then there are the full on mountain bike only dirt roads like Williams Pass and Tincup Pass in Colorado for which I don't have pictures because I lost my camera. I won't steal someone else's pictures but you can get a flavor for the "road" here I didn't ride the pass so much as I walked it just as I did Williams Pass which was on the same 3 day route.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-05-15, 11:07 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by robow
Are we talking White Lightning poo goo ?
Yup. I live in a very dust place and it works very well here. I've ridden in lots of other places like the KATY, GAP, Erie Canal, tow paths all over Pennsylvania and New York as well as tens of thousands of mountain bike miles in Colorado where it worked just as well.

And can you stuff it in your derailleurs, on your spokes, hubs and rims, your panniers, your shoes, in your lungs,......that dust just gets everywhere.
I never noticed excessive dust to be that big of a problem on the KATY or any other trail. It's just part of riding on dirt.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-05-15, 11:31 AM
robow

Settled then, I'll give the poo goo another try again next year, since we've got one tour lined up that should have several hundred miles on the limestone up in Wisconsin (Bike 4 trails, Badger trail, etc.)

Last edited by robow; 12-05-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 02:12 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
350 riders. That's about right for a group riding on a trail. Also that number of people is about right for the camp grounds and overnight facilities.
350 riders? Sounds like a real circus. If I'm in town I'll make sure to do a 1 day out & back for a front row seat.
Old 12-05-15, 02:46 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still need some advice from you folks with National Forest roads, or stuff like the Great Divide, gravel roads. Big hills sometimes, maybe steep, bigger rocks, and such. For the Katy and other rail-trail a decent light & fast road touring bicycle with wider tires will probably work well.
I saw the bicycle of the guy that won the Great Divide race. It looked like a mountain bike with very shallow drop bars, and a bike packer set-up. I'll listen to you about a small backpack, but you'll have to drag me there kicking and screaming. I'll also check in with the local off road group.
I do appreciate your advice.
Old 12-05-15, 03:13 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yup. I live in a very dust place and it works very well here. I've ridden in lots of other places like the KATY, GAP, Erie Canal, tow paths all over Pennsylvania and New York as well as tens of thousands of mountain bike miles in Colorado where it worked just as well.
I'm intrigued! How's it work when things get wet? Can it totally replace wet lube, and is there an advantage to doing so?
Old 12-05-15, 03:14 PM
robow

350 riders? Sounds like a real circus.
I can't imagine that many on the Katy at once moving along as a group. Definitely not my cup of tea. As I mentioned before, there at least 2 or 3 outfitters who make several trips a year and I don't think they take more than 10-20 at a time.
Old 12-05-15, 04:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
... several hundred miles on the limestone up in Wisconsin (Great 4 trails, Badger trail, etc.)
Which trails besides Badger?
Old 12-05-15, 05:02 PM
robow

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Which trails besides Badger?
The Bike 4 trails is actually composed of 4 trails that connect and will give you 100 miles of continuous trails, and that is without a couple other beautiful legs such as the Omaha county trail. Starting in Freeport, IL, you pick up the Jane Adams trail connecting to the Badger and then west on the Military Ridge trail, then north by county road to connect to the Bike 4. Really nice ride

https://www.bike4trails.com/Bike4trails.jpg

Last edited by robow; 12-05-15 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 05:47 PM
BobG

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
And then there are the full on mountain bike only dirt roads like Williams Pass and Tincup Pass in Colorado...
Cycco- Your Colorado loop brings back fond memories memories of a dirt road side trip I did way back in the same neighborhood. I left a paved ACA group tour at Sargents CO, just before Monarch Pass, and rode over Cumberland Pass to Taylor Park Reservoir where I camped for the night. The next day I headed east over Cottonwood Pass and returned to the pavement At Buena Vista.

Squeezebox- My route was probably one or two levels lower in difficulty than the Williams/Tincup route that Cycco took. I recall it being rough in places but 2WD passable. I was on a touring bike with 700x35 tires thus I had to keep my speed down on the descents. I could have let it rip on a MTB but it was doable on the touring rig.

edit: My trip was back in 1983. I see on videos that the eastern side of Cottonwood is now paved.

The TA Cyclotouriste crankset and Hartley Alley Touring Cyclist Shop panniers date this photo!...

camp at Taylor Park Reservoir...

Last edited by BobG; 12-06-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-05-15, 05:51 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Squeeze, if you live in Missouri you are in luck. They have just annexed (or in the process) the Rock Island rail line for another gravel route across Missouri . You can ride the Katy out then the Rock Island back. Right now it is rough. I haven't been on it but have seen pictures of others riding sections with their Moutain bikes. It probably isn't continuous yet but lots of it is ridable. ( sorry, I don't have a link.... Google it).
Old 12-05-15, 05:58 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I wonder if they would ever considering paving it, or at least tarring it??
What? I thought you were looking to gravel tour?

I'm interested in looking at the possibility of gravel road touring
Huh?

Last edited by BigAura; 12-05-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-05-15, 06:06 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Not touring just riding
Old 12-05-15, 09:05 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigAura
What? I thought you were looking to gravel tour?

Huh?
Sometimes I say things that are stupid and after someone points it out to me I agree. So this was one of those.
Old 12-05-15, 09:20 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by boomhauer
Squeeze, if you live in Missouri you are in luck. They have just annexed (or in the process) the Rock Island rail line for another gravel route across Missouri . You can ride the Katy out then the Rock Island back. Right now it is rough. I haven't been on it but have seen pictures of others riding sections with their Moutain bikes. It probably isn't continuous yet but lots of it is ridable. ( sorry, I don't have a link.... Google it).
You are probably right. There is Mark Twain National Forest with a bunch of gravel roads, probably good for hiking too, the Ozark trail is creeping along, more hiking. Also a lot of back roads from state park to state park, more cycling. I'm really looking forward to finally getting to the next Gateway Off Road Cyclists meeting. I'll do my best to offer a full report early spring, Until then I appreciate your opinions.
Old 12-06-15, 06:11 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by BobG

Is that an old mountain products corp tent? If so, must be 40 years old.

I thought the panniers were Kirkland, apparantly I was wrong.
Old 12-06-15, 06:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

The Bike 4 trails is actually composed of 4 trails that connect and will give you 100 miles of continuous trails, and that is without a couple other beautiful legs such as the Omaha county trail. Starting in Freeport, IL, you pick up the Jane Adams trail connecting to the Badger and then west on the Military Ridge trail, then north by county road to connect to the Bike 4. Really nice ride

https://www.bike4trails.com/Bike4trails.jpg
They finally finished the construction at the east end of Military Ridge, it now meets Badger State Trail, but it could easily be missed. If you are going north on the Badger State Trail, that eventually turns into the SW trail, or maybe it is called SW Commuter or something like that. But that goes over a bridge, the Military Ridge starts under that bridge and if you were not aware, you could miss it. There is so signage for those going over the bridge.

If you have a GPS, the coordinates 43.023842, -89.461092 will put you on the bridge, but if you are going north on the Badger State Trail, you should take the turnoff at 43.021371, -89.461414 to get under the bridge. (I got these GPS readings off of Google Maps.)

That bridge location is the meeting place for the Badger State Trail, Cannonball Trail, Capital City Trail, SW Commuter Trail, and Military Ridge. But if you are on the bridge, no signage.

Their budget got slashed again last summer. Next year the annual trail pass is $25. (There are rumors that the state park system will start selling naming rights to parks and trials.) So far the maintenance on the trail has not collapsed, but it probably will pretty soon.

I ride over that bridge a couple times a week for my exercise route, so I am somewhat familiar with the area. I will be putting on the studded tires in a few weeks, this has been a very late start to winter, have not put the studs on yet.

You might want to request a map.
https://www.cityofmadison.com/bikeMa...anTrip/map.cfm
Old 12-06-15, 06:59 PM
BobG

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Is that an old mountain products corp tent? If so, must be 40 years old.

I thought the panniers were Kirkland, apparantly I was wrong.
That's an old Gerry Lodgepole tent. It would be well over 40 years old if I still had it! Hartley and Jean Alley opened a small shop in Boulder CO in 1970 or so and their panniers and handlebar bags were the prototype for the Kirtlands which came later. Mr. Alley had a patent on the design and is credited with the "invention" of the modern bicycle pannier (according to Wikepedia). At some point Kirtland acquired his design and mass produced them. Google his name and you'll find more details of the Alley's connection to the bike touring world.

Old 12-06-15, 08:47 PM
robow

Tourist in MSN,
thank you so very much for the insights. After responding to your inquiry, I then noticed that you live in Madison, and obviously know the area far better than I. Have you ever traveled from Dodgeville at the western end of Military Ridge Trail north to Reedsburg via hgwy 23 by chance? Just curious what that road was like. Thanks again for the info.
Old 12-06-15, 10:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Tourist in MSN,
thank you so very much for the insights. After responding to your inquiry, I then noticed that you live in Madison, and obviously know the area far better than I. Have you ever traveled from Dodgeville at the western end of Military Ridge Trail north to Reedsburg via hgwy 23 by chance? Just curious what that road was like. Thanks again for the info.
Farthest I have been west on Military Ridge is Barneveld. And I have not ridden the roads out there.

Be advised, that area is often referred to as the driftless area. That means that glaciers did not smooth it out, it can be pretty hilly with a lot of bedrock exposure. (Mostly limestone, dolomite, some sandstone, maybe some shales.) At times when I was driving in that western part of the state I thought that it looked like Appalachia. My point is that while rails to trails routes are often flatter than about 1.5 percent grade, the roads in some parts of western Wisconsin can be pretty steep. So, don't leave the low gears at home for those times you are on roads.

I pulled the route on 23 up on Mapquest, looking at it on my computer screen I suspect my suspicions on the hills are valid.

I assume you already know you will need a light for Stewart Tunnel, maybe other tunnels. I ride through Stewart with a good light, but if I had a loaded bike with panniers I would walk it.
Old 12-07-15, 05:47 AM
rjl33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live south of Dodgeville and ride this area very frequently. Hwy 23 is a busy state highway with truck traffic. I have ridden it from Spring Green to Dodgeville, and several sections north of Spring Green. There are countless quiet county and township roads that will roughly parallel Hwy 23. This area is very hilly-Google maps shows 1650' of climbing from Dodgeville to Reedsburg on Hwy 23. The county and township roads would be likely to have more climbing. Unfortunately, there are not many gravel road options in this area. One reason to ride part of Hwy 23 is Wyoming Valley and the area around Taliesen, which is the few miles south of Spring Green and the Wisconsin River-beautiful country! I have also ridden the Elroy-Sparta, LaCrosse River and Great River State Trails as part of my ride across Wisconsin-all nice and very scenic. Have not ridden the 400 State Trail but would expect it to be the same. I also ride the Badger State Trail a couple of times each year. I am happy to share any information I have of this area.
Old 12-07-15, 10:44 AM
robow

rjl33 and MSN,
thanks for your information. PM's sent. I apologize to the OP and didn't mean to hijack his/her thread.
Old 12-07-15, 10:56 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by mdilthey
I'm intrigued! How's it work when things get wet? Can it totally replace wet lube, and is there an advantage to doing so?
I haven't had problems with it in wet weather. It has to be refreshed after rain but any lubricant should be refreshed after rain. The real advantage is not having to deal with a gunky chain. I can actually touch my chain without getting black gunk on me, the walls, the cat, or, it seems, every tree within 40 miles of my campsite. This is how dirty my chain and drivetrain is normally

The last two pictures are my winter bike in about February.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.