Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'Cyclist Killed by Cement Truck and 2 Other Deaths Spur "Emergency"'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

'Cyclist Killed by Cement Truck and 2 Other Deaths Spur "Emergency"'

Old 07-12-19, 09:21 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
That's a fair point, one I generally agree with, but in this case, I didn't really need to know anything that wasn't spelled out in the title, "Cyclist killed by cement truck".
That particular poster has a habit of depositing a commentary free link and departing without showing any interest in the ensuing discussion. If an article interests me enough to want to share it here, I'll share it, provide comments and attend the discussion that follows. I don't get the value someone finds in posting a link then disappearing from the conversation.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-12-19, 09:30 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I like "ceding" the area used for right turns when I'm stopped at a light, by stopping about 10 feet short. This is at intersections with no dedicated right turn lane.

I've seen too many people block the right turn area while waiting for lights to change, totally unconcerned about holding people up who want to turn right, vehicles that could otherwise filter to the front, make their turn and continue on.

It's not only the considerate thing to do, but I think it's also much safer, especially around large trucks.
If I arrive first at a stoplight, I will often move as far forward and left as I can if I can do it safely and there is someone behind me who is indicating a right turn. I may also run the light if I can safely do it, and it will positively impact the overall flow of traffic.

I am a bit confused by your positioning. Are you moving far right and staying back an extra 10 feet? Describe your lane position and tell me which side cars are passing you on.
Old 07-14-19, 05:45 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
You read that and couldn't muster a comment?
I thought the story told it all. Obviously I'm against people getting killed, especially bicyclists.

Originally Posted by Brocephus
That's a fair point, one I generally agree with, but in this case, I didn't really need to know anything that wasn't spelled out in the title, "Cyclist killed by cement truck".
That particular poster has a habit of depositing a commentary free link and departing without showing any interest in the ensuing discussion. If an article interests me enough to want to share it here, I'll share it, provide comments and attend the discussion that follows. I don't get the value someone finds in posting a link then disappearing from the conversation.
I didn't have anything to say about the ensuing discussion. My Mother always said, 'If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.' I thought the link might interest some participants in this forum.
Old 07-14-19, 05:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Trucks only use one road in our city centre. There's a separate roadway for deliveries to the main shopping mall. And trucks only use bypasses throughout the rest of the city, which feed straight into our industrial estates. Retail estates have separate entrances for goods trucks.
We don't have trucks in our housing estates, office areas or shopping areas.

Yeah. Bypasses (freeways) and industrial estates. That's about the only place you'll find trucks.

What brings them onto the sort of city streets where they'd mix with cyclists?
New York City was founded in the 1600s. It's not like they thought this stuff up shoveling after horses.

PS The highways around there were developed by a crazy car dude in the 20th century and he ruint the joint.
Old 07-15-19, 08:33 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by Arthur P*****y
I thought the story told it all. Obviously I'm against people getting killed, especially bicyclists.

I didn't have anything to say about the ensuing discussion. My Mother always said, 'If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.' I thought the link might interest some participants in this forum.
It didn't interest you enough to elicit a comment but you thought it would interest others enough to spawn meaningful discussion?
Old 07-15-19, 07:16 PM
Arthur Peabody

It didn't interest you enough to elicit a comment but you thought it would interest others enough to spawn meaningful discussion?
I thought to comment upon it would be to paint the lily. I thought it spoke for itself. I posted it in case it would interest others who might have missed it otherwise. I don't think there's much to discuss; there's no controversy. On this and other fora people have thanked me for bringing articles to their attention - if not you.
Old 07-15-19, 10:26 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
Is this the hill you want to die on?
Old 07-16-19, 06:11 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I thought to comment upon it would be to paint the lily. I thought it spoke for itself. I posted it in case it would interest others who might have missed it otherwise. I don't think there's much to discuss; there's no controversy. On this and other fora people have thanked me for bringing articles to their attention - if not you.
Go back and look at the threads you started with a comment free link. Look at how many you never participated in the discussion. This is a discussion forum. One that you have an unusual aversion to participating in. I find it weird that someone would bother to presumably attempt to launch a discussion then stay out of it. This thread is a prime example. No comment on your link and no comment on the ensuing discussion.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 07-16-19 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 06:22 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
If I arrive first at a stoplight, I will often move as far forward and left as I can if I can do it safely and there is someone behind me who is indicating a right turn. I may also run the light if I can safely do it, and it will positively impact the overall flow of traffic.
I try to position myself in the center of the lane at all intersections, even if there is a bike lane. If there's a right turner behind me, I'll move forward and further left to allow them to turn.
Old 07-21-19, 01:42 PM
Arthur Peabody

Go back and look at the threads you started with a comment free link.
You pay more attention to my participation in this forum than I do.

Look at how many you never participated in the discussion.
I read all of them, contributed all that I could. Often discussions go astray from the original topic. If that's what others want to do, I don't contribute by upbraiding them.

This is a discussion forum. One that you have an unusual aversion to participating in.
Your construction. Note that when you quoted me, you changed my name in the quote tag, which kept the forum from notifying me that someone had quoted me. This is misbehavior, and not the behavior of someone who wants me to participate in the thread.

I find it weird that someone would bother to presumably attempt to launch a discussion then stay out of it. This thread is a prime example. No comment on your link and no comment on the ensuing discussion.
In the good old days, there were 'clip services': they'd read all (or a subset) of newspapers for local articles (not available through a national syndicate, such as AP or UPI), send copies to subscribers who wanted to keep up with news that wasn't reported in their local paper. Most of them I remember specialized in topics: science, medicine, education... Some were state-wide, useful to politicians (and the like) who wanted to keep up with everything that was going on in the state. I see my messages that contain just a pointer to an article as similar to those services. What's the harm?
Old 07-21-19, 08:21 PM
MTBOGRE

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Absolutely........

Same at 4 way stops........

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If I'm first to a one-lane intersection, I'm taking the lane, and don't care if it blocks the right turn on red. It's no more inconsiderate than what a driver would do in that situation. The cede 10 foot rule sounds really bad to me. If I do that and two other cars pull up before the light changes, do I now have to back up another 10 feet?

Generally, I'm filtering up to where all of the cars can see me.
Old 07-22-19, 07:51 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

You pay more attention to my participation in this forum than I do.

I read all of them, contributed all that I could. Often discussions go astray from the original topic. If that's what others want to do, I don't contribute by upbraiding them.

Your construction. Note that when you quoted me, you changed my name in the quote tag, which kept the forum from notifying me that someone had quoted me. This is misbehavior, and not the behavior of someone who wants me to participate in the thread.

In the good old days, there were 'clip services': they'd read all (or a subset) of newspapers for local articles (not available through a national syndicate, such as AP or UPI), send copies to subscribers who wanted to keep up with news that wasn't reported in their local paper. Most of them I remember specialized in topics: science, medicine, education... Some were state-wide, useful to politicians (and the like) who wanted to keep up with everything that was going on in the state. I see my messages that contain just a pointer to an article as similar to those services. What's the harm?
I didn't change your name. Something in the system did.

You still have not participated in the discussion yous started. Only this aside with me.

This isn't a headline news service. It's a discussion forum. One you have a particular aversion to engaging in.
Old 07-24-19, 11:06 PM
Arthur Peabody

I didn't change your name. Something in the system did.
Apparently that's the case: sorry. It keeps me from being notified I've been quoted.

You still have not participated in the discussion yous started.
I started it: that's participation. If it weren't interesting, no one would have replied.

Nina Totenberg described Marty Ginsburg as his wife's (Ruth Bader Ginsburg) clipping service on NPR today.
Old 07-26-19, 02:12 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Unfortunately many cyclists do ride in a way motorists deem as aggressively entitled, but then cyclists need to carry their speed to make up for weaknesses in other areas.

It's the same with trucks. A car driver will hold up a truck going downhill, then wonder why the truck's going so slow uphill. Thoughtless but also a lack of knowledge.

And people are hypocrites, and unnecessarily resentful. Moan cyclists are holding them up, but then moan when we use a pedestrian's green light or squeeze between traffic...

But understanding will only go so far. Vehicles are adrenaline catalysts. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there. Survival of the fittest. It'll never be foolproof. Take your headphones out, pay attention.