Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best steel bike maker

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best steel bike maker

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 06:20 PM
Jburrow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"She is hard to fit" My warning flags went right up when I saw that. This changes the whole game. If you go with one builder for the two of you, it has to be one that will serve her well. It might actually turn out to be easier to go to two different builders. A thought I had was seeing about Sweetpea for your wife. Sweetpea here in Portland, OR. Owners Natalie and Austin Ramsland. Natalie is the heart of the company and a quality framebuilder. She started out building in the quarters of one of the nation's finest traditional builders and what I've seen is very clean work. I haven't seen her work recently but the variety of what I have seen is impressive. Her goal is to provide the women who come to her with the bike that's is truly "their's". (Sweetpea works closely with Gladys Bikes, also in Portland. Gladys Bikes has a full fitting setup and the owner will work closely with Sweatpea.

An idea I just had - I'll bet the Gladys founder and owner (a woman not named Gladys) would be willing to talk to the builder of your bike to work out paint and details to make your two bikes look like a pair together. (Or possibly Austin of Sweetpea to face the reality that a man talking to the almost certainly male builder of your bike might go better. Sucks but that is what way too often is.)

Edit: if you went with Sweetpea, it might make sense for you also to go to a Portland builder. That would be kinda rough. So few to choose from! I'll bet TiCycles could make you a TIG'd steel frame and work closely with Natalie to get the matching details.
i appreciate the continued feedback! My wife is still interested in the custom steel route, so this is very helpful information!
Old 06-28-21, 06:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Y'all can cool your jets. OP has moved on to carbon.
There are a few custom Carbon Fiber builders in the USA.

Parlee makes a fully custom CF frame.

I think Calfee also makes custom Carbon Fiber

There should be several other companies also, if you hunt for them.

You can even get custom CF Tandem bikes.

For steel, there is also this thread to watch:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...stand-out.html
Old 07-01-21, 03:57 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are a few custom Carbon Fiber builders in the USA.

Parlee makes a fully custom CF frame.

I think Calfee also makes custom Carbon Fiber

There should be several other companies also, if you hunt for them.
No mention of custom carbon would be complete without Crumpton. Or Pursuit.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 07-01-21, 04:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Take a look thru here for your budget:
https://www.condorcycles.com/collections/sale-bikes
Old 07-10-21, 09:34 AM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
"She is hard to fit" My warning flags went right up when I saw that. This changes the whole game. If you go with one builder for the two of you, it has to be one that will serve her well. It might actually turn out to be easier to go to two different builders. A thought I had was seeing about Sweetpea for your wife. Sweetpea here in Portland, OR. Owners Natalie and Austin Ramsland. Natalie is the heart of the company and a quality framebuilder. She started out building in the quarters of one of the nation's finest traditional builders and what I've seen is very clean work. I haven't seen her work recently but the variety of what I have seen is impressive. Her goal is to provide the women who come to her with the bike that's is truly "their's". (Sweetpea works closely with Gladys Bikes, also in Portland. Gladys Bikes has a full fitting setup and the owner will work closely with Sweatpea.

An idea I just had - I'll bet the Gladys founder and owner (a woman not named Gladys) would be willing to talk to the builder of your bike to work out paint and details to make your two bikes look like a pair together. (Or possibly Austin of Sweetpea to face the reality that a man talking to the almost certainly male builder of your bike might go better. Sucks but that is what way too often is.)

Edit: if you went with Sweetpea, it might make sense for you also to go to a Portland builder. That would be kinda rough. So few to choose from! I'll bet TiCycles could make you a TIG'd steel frame and work closely with Natalie to get the matching details.
After long discussions with the wife, we are pretty much set on the custom steel route. We were sidetracked by the carbon offerings - but, that is marketing and head leading the way. While I am sure we would love a CF bike, we would miss not having a steel bike that would last a while.

We have sketched out what our ideal bike would be able to do, options we would want, and components we like. Steel is what we want in a material, we want something that will do fast road rides, comfortable for centuries and some randonneuring, light bike packing, and some light gravel duty.

We want something in the 20-22lbs with pedals and cages on the high end of the scale. We currently ride heavier bikes which are fine, but they aren’t built for what we are wanting to do right now (hybrids with 7-8 cassettes).

With all of the research and conversations, along with knowing what we want, we just need to find a builder and shop that we like. We found Wildcard in Alabama that isn’t too far away. We can’t find much info on customer reviews and testimonials, but it is close and custom.

Breadwinner is still a solid option for us. They were so friendly to us with our general inquiries, and that goes a long way in my book. Gunnar/Waterford has yet to respond to any of my emails. Speedvagen seems cool, but it is just so expensive. Again, the budget for a complete bike is in the $5-$6k range. We also looked into the Rodriguez option, and it seems almost too good to be true. Great price, etc.

Someone mentioned Dave Kirk to me recently along with Sklar. I absolutely love the looks of the Sklar bikes - probably the best looking bikes in my opinion (my tastes). However, I know he is a young builder (not that this makes any difference), and I don’t know much about his work.

thank you all for your continued help with this endeavor. There has been a lot of suggestions here, and indeed as many of you have said very little separates the good builders out there - style and customer care are about the only major differences. However, the names of builders that keep being thrown out there the most often by you all are: breadwinner, Gunnar, Waterford, Ritchey, and anyone close by. Breadwinner and someone close at hand seem to me to be logical choices.

again, thank you all so far!

Last edited by Jburrow; 07-10-21 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-10-21, 09:32 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Obviously I’m partial to Speedvagen but if going for both breadwinner (beautiful bikes) are the only bivouac choice. Cant wait to see the finished products!
Old 07-10-21, 09:36 PM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbyville
Obviously I’m partial to Speedvagen but if going for both breadwinner (beautiful bikes) are the only bivouac choice. Cant wait to see the finished products!
thanks! Yeah I don’t really think between breadwinner, Speedvagen, Sklar, Waterford, or Wild Card will be a disappointment. We should get killer bikes in our price range.