Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removal of Campy Record Ergo 8-speed levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-21, 05:34 PM
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all,

Have only ever removed/replaced non-aero or ergo levers on a road bike & these Campy Record 8-speed brifters are new enough for me not to be knowledge about, but old enough for me to worry about just yanking off the hoods in fear of possible ripping of the rubber & lack of option to replace if that was to happen.

Any suggestions for how I need to proceed for removal, & options for replacement hoods should the worst happen?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-03-21, 05:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
So I gather it's only the hoods that you want to remove (opposed to the subject of the levers). Two ways to do this.

One is with the levers still on the bars. this is the more hood tearing method as the amount of stretch to get over the body's point is greatest.

The other is with the levers off the bars and this is easier on the hoods. I much prefer this way as I've torn a few hoods the other way.

Either way I strongly suggest a lube to help the hood slide over the body. I use Clean Streak and work fast before the solvent dries.

I generally will do a Ergo guts rebuild when the hoods finally need replacing. Andy
Old 09-03-21, 06:23 PM
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes

Bikes: 1993 Bianchi EL OS; random build PureFix fixed gear; 1968 Schwinn Racer 3-speed; 2019 Vitus Energie CRX; mid-90s Boss Hogg 24" BMX; 1999 Free Agent Team Limo; mid-1990s Virginia (model unknown); early 2000s? Fondriest Top Lite

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
So I gather it's only the hoods that you want to remove (opposed to the subject of the levers). Two ways to do this.

One is with the levers still on the bars. this is the more hood tearing method as the amount of stretch to get over the body's point is greatest.

The other is with the levers off the bars and this is easier on the hoods. I much prefer this way as I've torn a few hoods the other way.

Either way I strongly suggest a lube to help the hood slide over the body. I use Clean Streak and work fast before the solvent dries.

I generally will do a Ergo guts rebuild when the hoods finally need replacing. Andy
Hey Andrew. I appreciate your responding so quickly.

I apologize as I glaringly didn’t make it very clear of my intentions. I am switching out stem & bars & am
unwrapping tape & cables & need to swap the whole lever/shifter combo over to the new bars.

I still want to be very aware & safe toward any work with the hoods, so your info is definitely still worthwhile.

Thanks again,
Saul
Old 09-03-21, 08:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Just roll up the bar end of the hoods, like a pant leg. After installing and taping unroll the hoods over the tape. Andy
Old 09-03-21, 08:55 PM
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Just roll up the bar end of the hoods, like a pant leg. After installing and taping unroll the hoods over the tape. Andy
Thanks again, Andy.

I need to know how to get the levers off. I only know how to do it on the old style of levers that has the band with the nut thy you access when you open the lever & insert a hex wrench. I don’t see that capability on these.
Old 09-03-21, 09:05 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I have the same levers and I know I haven’t touched them since I installed them, but I’m quite sure they installed with a hex just like any other lever. Undo the cable, depress the lever and look inside.
Old 09-03-21, 09:12 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Pull the cover back gently from the top of the lever at the front, don't have to move it much. The bolt, if I remember on those right, is a 5mm allen, the ones on my Sachs were shallow so don't use a ball end. You should be able to notice there's a slight impression or divot in the top of the lever, that's the spot the bolt sits in, just slide the allen under the hood into that spot and wiggle it a little till it seats into the bolt and unscrew as normal. Once loose you will of course need to slightly pull the hood away from the tape, it won't want to stay pulled away unless you pull it around from the thumb lever but considering the age of the rubber I wouldn't do that. Also leave the wrench in until you have the lever all the way off, you may find depending on the curve of the bar, that you have to loosen more and as you will discover finding that bolt will be annoying. Not a hard job just requires a careful touch to avoid ripping anything.
Old 09-03-21, 09:16 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 377 Posts
Hex key (long and I believe it's 5mm) the bolt is accessed from the front on the outboard side. It can be done without removing the hoods. Just slip the Allen under the hood. See parts breakdown photo for location. Just north of where the "11" is pointing.

Edit: Russ just beat me to it.

Last edited by gearbasher; 09-03-21 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 09:27 PM
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Pull the cover back gently from the top of the lever at the front, don't have to move it much. The bolt, if I remember on those right, is a 5mm allen, the ones on my Sachs were shallow so don't use a ball end. You should be able to notice there's a slight impression or divot in the top of the lever, that's the spot the bolt sits in, just slide the allen under the hood into that spot and wiggle it a little till it seats into the bolt and unscrew as normal. Once loose you will of course need to slightly pull the hood away from the tape, it won't want to stay pulled away unless you pull it around from the thumb lever but considering the age of the rubber I wouldn't do that. Also leave the wrench in until you have the lever all the way off, you may find depending on the curve of the bar, that you have to loosen more and as you will discover finding that bolt will be annoying. Not a hard job just requires a careful touch to avoid ripping anything.
Originally Posted by gearbasher
Hex key (long and I believe it's 5mm) the bolt is accessed from the front on the outboard side. It can be done without removing the hoods. Just slip the Allen under the hood. See parts breakdown photo for location. Just north of where the "11" is pointing.

Edit: Russ just beat me to it.
Russ Roth & gearbasher, I think this is exactly what I needed to hear & see. Thank you!
Andrew, thank you for the extra insight with the hoods.
Now, on an off chance, does anyone know if these hoods are still purchasable or which I’d look for (is there a specific model name/era I need to search?)
Thanks again, all
Saul
Old 09-03-21, 09:45 PM
gearbasher

Still available. Look for EC-RE500

https://www.google.com/search?q=EC-R...hrome&ie=UTF-8

One piece of advice: when reinstalling them, don't make them crazy tight. Campy has a torque recommendation that I can't recall, only because when I used it, I cracked two bodies.

Last edited by gearbasher; 09-03-21 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 10:21 PM
soulmango 
Eurotrash bikes

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Still available. Look for EC-RE500

https://www.google.com/search?q=EC-R...hrome&ie=UTF-8

One piece of advice: when reinstalling them, don't make them crazy tight. Campy has a torque recommendation that I can't recall, only because when I used it, I cracked two bodies.
Excellent to see & thank you for the link!

And, I’ll definitely check into the torque info. I’m pretty gentle overall, but still, good to know.
Old 09-04-21, 07:54 AM
gearbasher

I found my torque chart. Campy recommends 10 N.m. (88.5 in/lbs.). Too much in my opinion. Like I said, I cracked two bodies using those specs.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 09-04-21, 02:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I found my torque chart. Campy recommends 10 N.m. (88.5 in/lbs.). Too much in my opinion. Like I said, I cracked two bodies using those specs.
Would agree, especially on carbon bars which are typically only rated to 5 Nm though most bars I've used have texturing to keep them from moving in that area so lower than recommended should be fine. For aluminum I tighten them till they don't move without a lot of effort since most people crank on them when sprinting or out of saddle climbing but I test as I go to avoid overtightening.
Likes For Russ Roth: