Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The death of rim brakes, disc brakes now unanimous in the pro peloton...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The death of rim brakes, disc brakes now unanimous in the pro peloton...

Old 09-26-21, 02:08 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by dougphoto
I'm in my 50's I've been biking and racing since I was 9 years old. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone cares about the rim brakes vs disk brakes thing.
Someday, maybe in the next 10-20 years, you'll be sitting quietly on your front porch and you'll suddenly think "Where did all those damn clouds come from?" Simultaneously, you will conclude that it is no longer possible for bikes and cycling gear to improve beyond what you presently own, and you will live out the remainder of your cycling days frozen in time.
Old 09-26-21, 02:16 PM
bigredgrad01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
If there was no UCI weight limit, I wonder how many teams would be riding on discs if they could build bikes 1 - 1.5lbs lighter with rim brakes?
Old 09-26-21, 03:18 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredgrad01
If there was no UCI weight limit, I wonder how many teams would be riding on discs if they could build bikes 1 - 1.5lbs lighter with rim brakes?
Probably none, and aero road bikes wouldn't be a thing, either, even if it matters more than weight, and tires and wheels wouldn't be getting wider and deeper, most likely, either. You can easily feel weight, unlike, say, aerodynamics which is invisible.
​​​​​​
Pro bikes would be probably around 5ish kg
Old 09-26-21, 03:43 PM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
tomato coupe I'm in favor of disks or whatever and whatever comes after
Old 09-26-21, 04:02 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
To me the biggest disappointment is that people in the entry-to-mid-level-range will end up with mechanical disks which even most road disk lovers will admit are terrible.
I have mechanical disc brakes on my Colnago World Cup CX. Have had this bike for over 5 years. The brakes have been problem free. I have no experience that would lead me to say they are terrible.
Old 09-26-21, 04:06 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Someday, maybe in the next 10-20 years, you'll be sitting quietly on your front porch and you'll suddenly think "Where did all those damn clouds come from?" Simultaneously, you will conclude that it is no longer possible for bikes and cycling gear to improve beyond what you presently own, and you will live out the remainder of your cycling days frozen in time.
Sorry but that's a total BS statement. Not to mention disrespectful. People are entitled to their opinions based on their experiences.
Old 09-26-21, 04:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Sorry but that's a total BS statement. Not to mention disrespectful. People are entitled to their opinions based on their experiences.
How do you get through life without a sense of humor?
Old 09-26-21, 04:41 PM
bruce19

Your idea of humor is deriding someone else? Have a nice life.
Old 09-26-21, 04:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Your idea of humor is deriding someone else? Have a nice life.
If that's what you think he was doing, then you really have no sense of humor.
Old 09-26-21, 04:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Probably none, and aero road bikes wouldn't be a thing, either, even if it matters more than weight, and tires and wheels wouldn't be getting wider and deeper, most likely, either. You can easily feel weight, unlike, say, aerodynamics which is invisible.
​​​​​​
Wind might be invisible, but I can definitely feel it! Climbing race bikes would be considerably lighter for sure, but there would most definitely still be aero race bikes that would be a little heavier for aero gains. Wider tyres would also still exist as ride quality is pretty important when riding on crappy roads. I wouldn't even consider buying any bike that couldn't fit at least 32 mm tyres, regardless how light it was.
Old 09-26-21, 05:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Who was it disrespectful to exactly? I know plenty of people who like to live in the past and will spout all kinds of BS about newer things. It's just human nature.
Old 09-26-21, 05:28 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
​​​​​​
Can you? Thats like "feeling" how much is left in the bottles without looking .. You are very sensitive! ;-)
Old 09-26-21, 06:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I eat ice cream bars.
Old 09-26-21, 07:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Yet another BF thread devolves into inevitable arguments and accusations. Which means everything is normal.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-27-21, 01:25 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Originally Posted by bleui
rim brake will make a comeback just like threaded bottom bracket does... hopefully
Good analogy, but I doubt it.

Better analogy is electronic shifting vs cable. Pros all use disc and electronic. Higher end groupsets are/will all be electronic and disc brake.

However, mid-range and entry level will likely still support rim brakes (and cable shifting) for quite some time.
OTOH, I'm sure the concept of 'purity' is a consideration for a certain fraction of the cost-no-object market...

If you can understand why purity might be a reason some folks like track bikes, you can probably see that mechanical shifting and rim brakes are likely to survive at the high end, even if it's just Campy.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-27-21 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 01:33 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am still running rim brakes and was hoping to get the new Shimano 12 speed semi-wireless but it's not supporting rim brakes. You have to use previous generation (wired) shifters.
Or, find some hydraulic rim calipers...

I would be so down with something in direct mount. Doubt it's a thing, though... What is there, ye olde Magura ones, and SRAM?

Originally Posted by prj71
Discs are superior in every way.
No. They're superior in a couple of ways and inferior in a couple of others. Most people don't care about the drawbacks, but some do, which is allowed.

Last edited by Kimmo; 09-27-21 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 03:53 AM
bruce19

What was said was an attempt to ridicule a BF member. Ridicule and humor are not the same. Ridicule is an ad hominem attack. Apparently, some here can't distinguish. So be it. Now I am done with this.
Old 09-27-21, 07:07 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
OTOH, I'm sure the concept of 'purity' is a consideration for a certain fraction of the cost-no-object market...

If you can understand why purity might be a reason some folks like track bikes, you can probably see that mechanical shifting and rim brakes are likely to survive at the high end, even if it's just Campy.
The big question is if catering for this fraction is financially worth it to the "big three". Shimano decided to ditch mechanical at the high end, and I'd bet that rim brake is next on the chopping block in the next generation of Dura-ace.

Again, I expect there will be small time makers who will go for the niche markets; you can get brand new downtube shifters today, if you like, and I expect someone in 2050 will be able to buy a mechanical groupset with rim brakes just fine - but they won't have loads of choice.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 09-27-21, 07:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
What was said was an attempt to ridicule a BF member. Ridicule and humor are not the same. Ridicule is an ad hominem attack. Apparently, some here can't distinguish. So be it. Now I am done with this.
No, the way I read it, he was cheekily paying a compliment by poking fun at the common retrogrouch mind-trap of drawing a line in the sand, usually correlating to a specific stage in their life, and declaring it the peak of bike technology.
Old 09-27-21, 07:24 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, the way I read it, he was cheekily paying a compliment by poking fun at the common retrogrouch mind-trap of drawing a line in the sand, usually correlating to a specific stage in their life, and declaring it the peak of bike technology.
I read it the way Bruce read it, especially after reading other posts from TC. I'd guess that whichever side of the debate you're on is the way you might decipher the statement. I could be wrong. That goes for most any debate here whether it be discs/rims, shifting systems, tubed/tubeless, toilet seat up/down, etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-27-21, 07:45 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
I read it as ridicule as well. I think that either are valid interpretations. For that reasons, my opinion is that it is not very nice and/or could have been worded differently.

Much of the content since then has been unconstructive and argumentative as rsbob suggested.. I'll go a step further and suggest that we give it a rest.
Old 09-27-21, 07:47 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I'm still on 11s, mechnical, clincher/tubular and rim brake on my two road bikes and TT bike. I feel my returns would be quite diminishing for my investment in any newer technology, at least for the relatively light and easy cycling conditions that we have in San Diego. I do enjoy tubeless and discs on my MTB, where I think we can all agree it makes a much bigger difference.
Old 09-27-21, 08:01 AM
seypat

I'd say it's time for last call. Time to turn out the lights and lock the doors.
Old 09-27-21, 08:04 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Queue "Closing Time" by Semisonic.

Without having read through the whole thread, I think the returns on hydro discs are greater if you have access to more mountains and/or wet weather more regularly than what we do in San Diego. If I was right under the San Gabrels or San Bernardino mountains in LA, maybe I'd consider switching over. But then again I don't particularly love climbing (or descending) so maybe not haha
Likes For TMonk:
Old 09-27-21, 08:13 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by TMonk
Queue "Closing Time" by Semisonic.Without having read through the whole thread, I think the returns on hydro discs are greater if you have access to more mountains and/or wet weather more regularly than what we do in San Diego. If I was right under the San Gabrels or San Bernardino mountains in LA, maybe I'd consider switching over. But then again I don't particularly love climbing (or descending) so maybe not haha
Actually, I was thinking of this song. BITD it was the song played at *****tonks and roadhouses when the main lights got turned on and the people were told to exit the premises. "Closing Time" is a good one also.

Last edited by seypat; 09-27-21 at 08:32 AM.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.