Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Predictions about upcoming new bike tech

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-12-21, 02:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts

I’m not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons of specific novel features or of bike evolution generally. I’m just imagining what a state of the art bicycle might look like ten years from now, whether we feel good, bad, or indifferent about it.

Here’s what I think is coming (along with my prediction on each feature’s likelihood):

- (Very likely) Anti-lock brakes. Should be easy enough with everything going to hydraulic discs. You just need to add some wheel speed sensors, a computer, a little valve and motor on each caliper, and a power source. This might not be a totally pointless feature. Many will argue it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist--perhaps that’s true. Regardless, I will be surprised if it does not appear in the next several years.

- (Probable) Tire pressure monitoring system. Also quite simple; would follow from technology used on cars for many years. They just need to develop smaller and lighter pressure sensor/transmitter units (probably located on the valve stem), and some software for the cycling computers/smart phones. You’ll never have to wonder how many PSI each tire has, or worry that you might not know when a tire suddenly begins to deflate.

- (Absolutely certain) Smaller, lighter, and more efficient motors for e-bikes. Plus smaller, lighter, and longer lasting batteries as well. Perhaps there will be solar charging on the bike (even something like photovoltaic paint, so the entire frame is effectively a solar panel?) And regenerative braking, so instead of working hard to build up kinetic energy and then throwing it away as friction, you could recover some of that energy to put back into the battery when slowing or stopping.

- (Possibly?) Rear-view camera and cockpit display (probably integrated with the cycling computer, which is already becoming more of a multi-functional display). Garmin Varia radar already gives an audible and visual indication, but it only shows that there is a vehicle (or two or more vehicles) approaching, with a relative indication of their distance and speed. A camera will let the rider remain facing forward and see a lot more detail. Is it a dump truck that’s weaving all over the road and flinging dirt and rocks everywhere? Just a Mini Cooper two lanes to the left? Technology to do this already exists and would just have to be refined/adapted for bikes.

- (Hopefully) Much better bike locks. Better = lighter and smaller but also tougher to defeat, while not becoming outrageously expensive. It seems like lock technology has not progressed very much in the past several decades. There have been little, incremental improvements, but a determined thief can still defeat any lock without much effort. I’d like to see high tech materials change this situation, so that the limiting factor will become “how strong is the structure you’re locking your bike to?”

What do you folks think? What predictions would you add to the list?
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 10-12-21, 02:38 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Tire pressure monitoring already exists and is integrated into head units.https://www.sram.com/en/quarq/series/tyrewiz
It's expensive, so hopefully it will come down in price as the tech gets developed more. What I really want is the ability to remotely set my tire pressure. Like, punch in 35psi and the tire valve automatically adds or releases air until it hits that number. This would be an absolute game changer for off-road riding.

ABS? Maybe. Bikes don't have onboard computers to control an ABS system like cars do, so there's some development needed on that front, but with electronic drivetrains becoming more common maybe it's possible to start expanding this to other components and have a central computer that controls it all.

My predictions:
  • Internal hub gearing that is electronically controlled and/or seamless CVT style to maintain specific power output for a given cadence (like ERG mode on a smart trainer, but for riding outside).
  • Integrated lighting becoming standard on all types of bikes, even race bikes - daytime running lights are the norm in 10 years
  • Integrated on-bike storage for tools/flat kits that don't require strapping bags onto seats or frames
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-12-21, 02:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
You just need to add some wheel speed sensors, a computer, a little valve and motor on each caliper, and a power source.
That's what I love about the bicycle: the simplicity.
Old 10-12-21, 03:43 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
What I really want is the ability to remotely set my tire pressure. Like, punch in 35psi and the tire valve automatically adds or releases air until it hits that number. This would be an absolute game changer for off-road riding.
I was thinking about this as a possibility, but I'm not a mountain biker, so wasn't sure how beneficial it would be.

Integrated lighting becoming standard on all types of bikes, even race bikes - daytime running lights are the norm in 10 years
I had the same idea, just didn't include it in my original list. I'll be very surprised if several years from now we don't see virtually all new bikes equipped with a built-in head light and tail light.

Integrated on-bike storage for tools/flat kits that don't require strapping bags onto seats or frames
That's anther good prediction. I can see it likely coming about.
Old 10-12-21, 03:52 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
There was ABS on rim brakes a while back, and it seemed to be pretty effective. It didn't take hold for whatever reason - not a pretty solution, not a problem that needed solving, or lack of marketing, etc.

Maybe Shimano gets to that point with their recently-patented boost-by-wire, but I like hydro as it is for the immediacy, tactile feedback and stopping power vs lever force, etc. So yeah... meh.
Old 10-12-21, 03:53 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
What I really want is the ability to remotely set my tire pressure. Like, punch in 35psi and the tire valve automatically adds or releases air until it hits that number. This would be an absolute game changer for off-road riding.
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/want...s-can-do-that/

• Integrated on-bike storage for tools/flat kits that don't require strapping bags onto seats or frames
Trek and Specialized already do that on some frames. More commonly found on MTBs. For road cycling one doesn't need to carry all that much more than what fits in jersey pockets, while a small saddle bag is not a big deal to anyone who isn't so vain as to avoid them for purely aesthetic reasons.
Old 10-12-21, 04:07 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I’m not looking to start a debate about the pros and cons of specific novel features or of bike evolution generally. I’m just imagining what a state of the art bicycle might look like ten years from now, whether we feel good, bad, or indifferent about it.

Here’s what I think is coming (along with my prediction on each feature’s likelihood):

- (Very likely) Anti-lock brakes. Should be easy enough with everything going to hydraulic discs. You just need to add some wheel speed sensors, a computer, a little valve and motor on each caliper, and a power source. This might not be a totally pointless feature. Many will argue it’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist--perhaps that’s true. Regardless, I will be surprised if it does not appear in the next several years.

- (Probable) Tire pressure monitoring system. Also quite simple; would follow from technology used on cars for many years. They just need to develop smaller and lighter pressure sensor/transmitter units (probably located on the valve stem), and some software for the cycling computers/smart phones. You’ll never have to wonder how many PSI each tire has, or worry that you might not know when a tire suddenly begins to deflate.

- (Absolutely certain) Smaller, lighter, and more efficient motors for e-bikes. Plus smaller, lighter, and longer lasting batteries as well. Perhaps there will be solar charging on the bike (even something like photovoltaic paint, so the entire frame is effectively a solar panel?) And regenerative braking, so instead of working hard to build up kinetic energy and then throwing it away as friction, you could recover some of that energy to put back into the battery when slowing or stopping.

- (Possibly?) Rear-view camera and cockpit display (probably integrated with the cycling computer, which is already becoming more of a multi-functional display). Garmin Varia radar already gives an audible and visual indication, but it only shows that there is a vehicle (or two or more vehicles) approaching, with a relative indication of their distance and speed. A camera will let the rider remain facing forward and see a lot more detail. Is it a dump truck that’s weaving all over the road and flinging dirt and rocks everywhere? Just a Mini Cooper two lanes to the left? Technology to do this already exists and would just have to be refined/adapted for bikes.

- (Hopefully) Much better bike locks. Better = lighter and smaller but also tougher to defeat, while not becoming outrageously expensive. It seems like lock technology has not progressed very much in the past several decades. There have been little, incremental improvements, but a determined thief can still defeat any lock without much effort. I’d like to see high tech materials change this situation, so that the limiting factor will become “how strong is the structure you’re locking your bike to?”

ABS for sure, although cancellable - racers are less likely to want a relatively conservative braking system taking over for them when they’re operating on the edge. However, for the rest of us, ABS. Fully wireless (or at least wired but no hydraulics) cockpit. Brakes will be electronically actuated, with haptic feedback to levers. Maybe not straight away, but some form of gyroscopic stability control to go along with ABS. The goal of all this will be to make cycling safer for Everyman, instead of the niche and slightly sketchy rep it has now. Add in the advent of self-driving vehicles which will make cycling safer, and the removal of cars from city centers, we’ll see a new flowering of cycling as a mainstream mode of transport…..
”Litespud! Wake up! You were dreaming again….”

Last edited by Litespud; 10-12-21 at 04:18 PM.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 10-12-21, 04:12 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
https://cyclingtips.com/2021/09/want...s-can-do-that/

Trek and Specialized already do that on some frames. More commonly found on MTBs. For road cycling one doesn't need to carry all that much more than what fits in jersey pockets, while a small saddle bag is not a big deal to anyone who isn't so vain as to avoid them for purely aesthetic reasons.
Every road cyclist I know carries a saddle bag with a spare tube, co2, levers, etc in it, yet we all ride frames with oversized hollow tubes that could be used for storage. Yes, I know these exist on some bikes, but it seems rare and I'd like to see more of it.

Does calling me vain for wanting this make you feel better?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 10-12-21, 04:17 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
square chainrings
Old 10-12-21, 04:22 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
All of those things are going to require more hardware and larger batteries to run them as well as some sort of control module.
Will it pass the weight weenie test?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-12-21, 04:37 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Flying bicycles.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 10-12-21, 04:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
SRAM will introduce their new 1-50 cassette, for use with their 3-tooth chain ring.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-12-21, 04:39 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
All of those things are going to require more hardware and larger batteries to run them as well as some sort of control module.
Will it pass the weight weenie test?
“Lighter and longer lasting batteries” is included on the list.

I think a lot of what is described above is likely to develop as the eBike becomes more and more a standard operator in modes of transport. I can see a Cargo ebike of the future having a heads up display, 360 proximity alarms, ABS, CVT, 100km range etc etc. And it’ll cost almost as much as a small car. But for a lot of families, it’ll replace a 2nd car, or even a first in city centres.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 10-12-21, 05:40 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Everything that's cycling related including bikes, all parts and components and hardware such as bolts and screws will be made from carbon,, even your bibs and your padded shorts are going to be made from carbon.
Old 10-12-21, 05:52 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts

- (Probable) Tire pressure monitoring system. ...

- (Hopefully)...while not becoming outrageously expensive.

Genius ! You pronounce and it's instantly done... LOL!
https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/ma...onitor-review/

yeah, visual area surround monitoring is prolly gonna happen... I'm gonna bet on a glasses Heads-up display from some bluetooth like combo unit - good reason to have those super-kool shades - and a great way to take sunglasses into the i-phone-13+ price range... LOL!

come on... 'Outrageously expensive' is the key operative for cycling... lock-step together

My predictions - Crapon wheels in Walmart... and they'll be exact dupes of stuff we're now paying $1+ - 2+K + for... (might already be there...)
ABS should absolutely happen !!! and be very beneficial for everyone, especially razors... but will be ludicrously expensive for the 1st few seasons.
a prediction - not sure about 10 years... but given some time frame - active suspension for road/gravel/mtb/even 'work'/transport bike, which is NOT some heavy coil spring-oil based Ohlins boinger....
A lot will depend on The Imperious Overlord - UCI - for competition level stuff... and the filter-down to us in the great un-washed...
Save Us !!! Obree Wan !
Yuri - (what fun!)

EDIT : oops, just saw post #2... wondering how much it all weighs - not weight-weenie - but out-of-balance weight does sometimes go 'lump-a-bump' when rolling...
an aside... Graeme is 'genius', everything he's ever worked out/done has come to pass, in some form... 'superman' to 'supertuck' and again outlawed...
and was the highest of class rider !
persistence will win out - as it always seems to; 'evolution' is inevitable - unless we do ourselves in or are helped by the SMOD....

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-12-21 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-12-21, 06:08 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
Airless tires that are not too heavy.
Affordable CVT hubs with a coaster brake.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 10-12-21, 06:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
at some point there may be a wheel propelled by an engine to alleviate the rider from exhaustion. Higher tech might even make it AWD so it's even quicker off the line & stable in the twisties.
Old 10-12-21, 07:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
All that stuff already exists maybe not to the level you wish but Bosch/Magura have done ABS, Quarq/Sram have done tire pressure meters and now a electronic suspension thing (different from Fox LiveWire). The Specialized SL line up are pretty light and small but you can also get some of those cheat motors that slide inside the frame and work with the B.B. Solar may not be quite there yet and regen braking has been tried but then you need a heavy e-bike like car weight and you negate the bike at that point. Also plenty of excellent ABUS locks that are light and harder to get through. I have seen some rear view stuff out there but not sure about full connectivity for live usage or quality for regular usage but have seen that crap.
Old 10-12-21, 08:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
  • Internal hub gearing that is electronically controlled and/or seamless CVT style to maintain specific power output for a given cadence
Like the Enviolo Automatiq?
Old 10-12-21, 10:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
That's what I love about the bicycle: the simplicity.
Probably the same was said when the first multi-speed bike was introduced.

Old 10-12-21, 10:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Troul
at some point there may be a wheel propelled by an engine to alleviate the rider from exhaustion. Higher tech might even make it AWD so it's even quicker off the line & stable in the twisties.
If Lamborghini made a bike…

Old 10-12-21, 11:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Self sealing tubeless tires which do not require sealant.

Nano-tech self lubricating chains.

Old 10-12-21, 11:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
They will continue to become more complicated. I will be continue to become more dejected.

The simplicity is in part what makes then so appealing. Otherwise I would just own a motorcycle or dirtbike.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-13-21, 01:15 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Higher end framesets will be set up for electronic only, with no provisions for derrailluer cable stops or routing. Double chainrings will die. We'll be up to 15-16 cog cassettes that your current wheelset will not fit so you'll have to buy some new ones. Rear spacing will be wider so your current wheelset won't fit that, either.

Everyone who dares to complain about those things will be looked down on and be called retrogrouches and boomers by the newer riders who are 10 years old right now.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 10-13-21, 01:30 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
After even more time I also think it's possible that lightweight, reliable, race worthy internal gear hubs with many gears will be developed that will be shifted electronically to replace derailleurs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.