Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Clunker 100 Challenge COVID 2.0 edition #7

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 05:01 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
That’s a 1988 Centurion LeMans in the other color scheme that year from my 2nd entry this year! Awesome bike, especially for FREE! Tange No.2 mainframe, Mangaloy 2001 forks and stays, Exage Sport that is functionally identical to 105. Mine is a keeper even after being overshadowed by the Sirrus. For that matter I still have more miles on my LeMans than anything else this year. Your’s looks like it’s much prettier and cleaner than mine! What a score!
Ah shuckie ducky, the fork crown needs to be recut. I rebuilt and did a final load set on the headset, spun the fork and crown race has a wobble. I do think the steertube is ok, but I'll have to check. The Le Mans will be parted out with the wheels going to an older Trek, the parts to the bin, the frame and fork will go the a local nonprofit with the fork notation attached.
Old 08-17-21, 07:00 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
I finally realized why winners weren't chosen every year. Going through 600+ posts takes a bit of time. Sorry if I missed any entries but I was zipping through them.

Here are 2021's official winners.

The nicest to the judge and attempt to keep the red bike as found til he didn't award goes to....
hazetguy

The clunkiest Clunker and thriftiest cheapskate award or that Araya BSO and that pink thing goes to....
Oldsledz

The most ridiculous seatpost bodge and most work for least gain award with his Peugeot goes to...
tyler_fred

The quietest in and out with fewest posts entry award with his Schwinn goes to...
rgvg

The overpaid the most award with that lovely Rampar goes to...
BFisher

The most enthusiastic and most entries by the least initally willing award with his herd of bikes goes to...
rustystrings61

The ugliest shifter hack award on his otherwise beautiful super course goes to...
darnet

The blood price with the hacked up hand goes to...
philpeugeot

The nicest takara from the least nicest takara award goes to...
Andy_K

The nicest actual bike by complete subjective opinion and a penchant for abused French bikes award goes to...
ollo_ollo

The most work for giving up award goes to...
Mr. 66

The least sustained entry award goes to...
RiddleOfSteel

The I forget how it ended award goes to...
jdawginsc

The almost finished orange bike of questionable decision making goes to...
non-fixie

The Raleigh in my size and lover of ice bags award goes to...
gugie
Old 08-17-21, 09:02 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Ah, yes. Thanks, Narhay ! I really appreciate the effort you put into this every time. And I do feel a little bad about not delivering. Not much, but still.

Another DNF for me, I'm afraid. Mrs non-fixie wasn't too keen on this bike to begin with (I didn't check with her beforehand, knowing quite well what she'd say) and telling her that all you guys were waiting for her to ride 100k on that rust bucket didn't help either.

The good news is that, with the game over and the budget restrictions lifted, I can now upgrade the bike to a level that she will like.

Old 08-17-21, 11:18 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Thank you, Narhay, for launching this magnificent opportunity to squander precious time and resources in ways that fulfill my inner cycling cheapskate's wildest dreams!

I took the time to re-read the thread the other day, and sorting through all of this IS a major undertaking. Thank you again for overseeing this experience and judging with such perception and skill - my flattery points for the year!

I am honored by the award bestowed upon me - and chastened at the same time. Perhaps next year I will be able to focus on just ONE clunker, the '89 LeTour that I managed to resist throwing in as my fourth contender this year, that I might have it waiting for next time.

Now to continue the purge of past clunkers - last year's Raleigh GS is up for sale in this and another forum, Straightened Raymond the Mercier has now failed to sell twice, the Liberia will be going up on the block soon, and the Schwinn World Sport I got as a parts donor for the Raleigh GS is reassembled and ready to go. I have almost enough parts, I think, to finish and sell off the yellow Bottecchia that was a DNF in 2019, and maybe I'll just give away the Gitane that was also a donor ... which will make room in the shop, which will then start calling more clunkers to me ... if you make room they will come ...
Old 08-17-21, 01:28 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,796 Times in 2,282 Posts
@Narhay,

I will covet this award! I am thinking of having a decal made with your exact wording and applying it to the seat tube in a conspicious location.
Old 08-17-21, 02:03 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Thank you @Narhay, once again a good time was had by all. My nice Follis bike didn't sell on CL, so it will be in my next donation run to NW Hub. Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 08-17-21 at 02:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-17-21, 04:22 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Haha! Unfortunately, I remember how it ended...too early to catch up!

But I will finish anyhow- -even if it is a few months after the deadline...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super