Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 07:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I volunteer at Bicylce Works which is the shop run by The Edmonton Bicycle Commuter's society which has been working for cyclists here for almost 30 years.

The website is edmontonbikes.ca
Old 07-26-09, 07:46 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

That Cyclo derailer... for anyone who has never seen one.

It is a oil bath derailer that uses a cable and rod operated coil spring to move the cage to and fro... these were a common design back in the 50's and cyclo sold them in a kit with a double or triple cog to expand the gearing on an SA hub.

They came in models that could accommodate 3, 4, or 5 speed blocks whereas the JUY543 on my old Peugeot has an adjustable range and is a far nicer and yet, similar design.

Not my pic... mine needs some serious disassembly and cleaning up but all that oil covering it has preserved it very nicely.

https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/bbcbikes/cyclo_der__2_.JPG
Old 07-26-09, 08:07 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Sixty-Fiver for that info... I had never seen one.

So... on Friday just as I was leaving work I checked Craigslist and found a listing for a "vintage English 10 speed". It was at the top of the list, being listed moments earlier. I called the guy and made plans to drive out to the suburbs right away. He wanted $40.00 for it.

When I got there he had already received numerous emails about the bike and had then done some research online. I said "I'll give you the forty bucks for it" and he said "I'll just bet you will".

So what I got was a nice (I am really guessing 60's) Dawes "Realm Rider"

It is candy apple red with really nice blue and ivory decals... and the nicely lugged steel frame is 9/10. The rims are shot, and the tires are brittle, but otherwise it is in remarkable shape.

Is anyone here familiar with Dawes? I would post photos but my camera is at work and I have already stripped it down for a full cleaning. Any info would be greatly helpful.
Old 07-26-09, 08:15 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
Thanks Sixty-Fiver for that info... I had never seen one.

So... on Friday just as I was leaving work I checked Craigslist and found a listing for a "vintage English 10 speed". It was at the top of the list, being listed moments earlier. I called the guy and made plans to drive out to the suburbs right away. He wanted $40.00 for it.

When I got there he had already received numerous emails about the bike and had then done some research online. I said "I'll give you the forty bucks for it" and he said "I'll just bet you will".

So what I got was a nice (I am really guessing 60's) Dawes "Realm Rider"

It is candy apple red with really nice blue and ivory decals... and the nicely lugged steel frame is 9/10. The rims are shot, and the tires are brittle, but otherwise it is in remarkable shape.

Is anyone here familiar with Dawes? I would post photos but my camera is at work and I have already stripped it down for a full cleaning. Any info would be greatly helpful.
Ahhh. You're the one that beat me to it. I hope it turns out to be a really nice ride as it was an attractive bike. I'm glad it went to a fellow C&Ver and wasn't turned into fixie/SS. Just tell me that it was a lemon.

If you decide to flip it, let me know and I may still be interested.

Last edited by beech333; 07-26-09 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 08:32 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Ahhh. You're the one that beat me to it. I hope it turns out to be a really nice ride as it was an attractive bike. I'm glad it went to a fellow C&Ver and wasn't turned into fixie/SS. Just tell me that it was a lemon.

If you decide to flip it, let me know and I may still be interested.
!
Sorry!

Well the price just went up because I ordered new rims/spokes/tires/tubes/tape... and I'm going to need a rear derailleur because that was missing and was probably the reason it is in such good shape. I figure it broke early on and caused the bike to go into deep freeze once the owner got discouraged.

Quite right... It will NOT become a fixie/SS! I am polishing up the Normandy hubs and will build the new wheels up to be as original looking as possible. The rims as found were rusty and dented and warped so I don't feel at all bad about vanquishing them.

I will post photos when I get it on the road. If you are in Chicago we can meet up so you can take it for a spin... and get some Lemonade.
Old 07-26-09, 08:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Dawes made some very nice bikes and are noteworthy for their beautiful lugs and pleasant riding frames.

The Galaxy touring model seems to be their most popular model and I see these fairly often... they have 531 frames and all seem to have been finished in a dark brown with yellow decals.

These were pretty economical bikes as they were fitted with middle of the road groups which would have kept costs down and am sure many an old Dawes Galaxy was bought primarily for the frame and fork and not so much the other parts.

They are a solidly made bike and tend to be good values.
Old 07-26-09, 08:55 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Dawes made some very nice bikes and are noteworthy for their beautiful lugs and pleasant riding frames.

The Galaxy touring model seems to be their most popular model and I see these fairly often... they have 531 frames and all seem to have been finished in a dark brown with yellow decals.

These were pretty economical bikes as they were fitted with middle of the road groups which would have kept costs down and am sure many an old Dawes Galaxy was bought primarily for the frame and fork and not so much the other parts.

They are a solidly made bike and tend to be good values.
Old 07-26-09, 09:06 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Sixty-Fiver...

Would my frame be 531? There are no decals indicating frame material. The frame (now bare) does seem a bit heavier than some of my full 531 bikes. How would I find out the material? Heck.. how would I find the year of manufacture?

Inquiring minds...
Old 07-26-09, 09:08 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW... Sixty-Fiver... trade you for your Rudge?!?
Old 07-26-09, 10:39 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I spotted this early 80s Trek a few weeks ago while looking for a bike for my wife, but unfortunately it was a bit too big for her. A friend and I went back today and he picked it up for $160. Reynolds 531 tubing, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and barcons, Dia-Compe brakes, Blackburn rack, and 27" Rigida rims.

It's going to clean up beautifully!

Very nice catch if you are buying it for yourself. That looks to be an 83 620.
https://www.vintage-trek.com/TrekBroc...rt1.htm#page10
I just sold a 520 that was in near as nice of condition for the same price. Shame it didn't have it's factory rack.
How to run the SN# https://www.vintage-trek.com/SerialNumbers.htm
Rigida rims of that vintage polish up VERY nice. I had a 84 Peugeot with the same rims and they just about came up to a mirror shine. Go find some "Mothers mag wheel polish" at the autoparts store.
Old 07-27-09, 08:11 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Dawes Realm Rider... Ivandarken: "Any info would be greatly helpful."

Post some pictures. Dawes did make very nice "trekking" bikes. I liked my Dawes. It came with a straight gauge Reynolds 531 frame, Benelux deraileurs, Weinmann brakes, Brooks leather saddle, Williams crank set, GB engraved bars and stem, contoured brake hood covers, fenders, a Miller generator set, and a nice rear rack. It was heavy, but had a very solid feel to it when you rode it. Replaced it with a Fuji, which I set up similarly to the Dawes. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Check the internet, there is a good deal of information on them.

Here is a picture of the 1955 Realm Rider:
Old 07-27-09, 09:41 AM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycleheimer...

I should have it cleaned and put back together by the end of the week. I will post photos then. Till then here is the original Craigslist photo.
Old 07-27-09, 11:21 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Dawes Realm Rider...
The headbadge design and colors can help identify it's general age.
Old 07-27-09, 07:57 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Fuji Dynamic 12

Old 07-27-09, 07:59 PM
sonatageek

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well a trash find today -- Ross MT Poconos. The RD is mangled and it is in pretty rough shape. This maybe a direct to COOP donation.
Old 07-27-09, 08:12 PM
xride914

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Aquilla Titanium, Specialized Tarmac, Trek 2300 Composite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TVT Carbon Kevlar

Wild little bike!! 54 cm
No decals for make or model other than TVT
TVT drop outs
Campy group except shimano 105 cranks
The fellow I bought it from said it's from 1983??
Campy record hubs
NISI Mixer rims
Cinelli bars and stem
Got it for $50
Old 07-27-09, 08:17 PM
r0ckh0und 

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Ivandarken
!
Sorry!

Well the price just went up because I ordered new rims/spokes/tires/tubes/tape... and I'm going to need a rear derailleur because that was missing and was probably the reason it is in such good shape. I figure it broke early on and caused the bike to go into deep freeze once the owner got discouraged.

Quite right... It will NOT become a fixie/SS! I am polishing up the Normandy hubs and will build the new wheels up to be as original looking as possible. The rims as found were rusty and dented and warped so I don't feel at all bad about vanquishing them.

I will post photos when I get it on the road. If you are in Chicago we can meet up so you can take it for a spin... and get some Lemonade.
I was eyeballing this one on friday as well...........I replied to an ad in Elgin, can't remember if this was the one though...........great find!
Old 07-27-09, 08:51 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
The one in Elgin might have been the Miyata 610 with the Brooks saddle, panniers, multiple spare saddles, multiple sets of pedals, tools, and helmet. I picked up that little lot. I believe he also had a Brooks Professional for sale as well.

I'd happily trade for that Dawes though.

Last edited by beech333; 07-27-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 08:58 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Machin Shin
Fuji Dynamic 12
I really need a Fuji in my collection. I have a Royale mixte, but it's just too small for me. It does, however, make a wonderful guest bike for visitors.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 07-27-09, 09:04 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I really need a Fuji in my collection. I have a Royale mixte, but it's just too small for me. It does, however, make a wonderful guest bike for visitors.
It's a really nice bike. Smooth and quiet ride. Paint is near perfect too.
Old 07-27-09, 09:18 PM
fishfoodstuart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a 1984 Schwinn Peloton off the side of the road about a year ago and I just finished fixing it up. When I got it, it had a sign saying "FREE" taped to it. I knocked on the guy's door, he told me to take it, and I brought it back home. From what I can tell, all the parts were original, except for the front chainwheels, which were replaced with Dura-Ace Biopace. The front brake was missing a barrel adjuster, and the levers needed some fiddly bits. I got a replacement brake of the same make and model (NGC 400), but the levers were a little different. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I'll get some photos of the restored bike.
Old 07-27-09, 09:21 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fishfoodstuart
I got a 1984 Schwinn Peloton off the side of the road about a year ago and I just finished fixing it up. When I got it, it had a sign saying "FREE" taped to it. I knocked on the guy's door, he told me to take it, and I brought it back home. From what I can tell, all the parts were original, except for the front chainwheels, which were replaced with Dura-Ace Biopace. The front brake was missing a barrel adjuster, and the levers needed some fiddly bits. I got a replacement brake of the same make and model (NGC 400), but the levers were a little different. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I'll get some photos of the restored bike.
Nice score!
Old 07-27-09, 09:24 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wil-mart128
You cant imagine how much dust was on this thing lol for real it had branches of dust n grime, Anyway i picked it up at a yard sale yesterday for $32.00 I was so excited to get it home and see what lied beneath. Basically soaked it in spraynine (the wonder cleaner) and scrubbed her up, put some fresh tubes n tires ,chain, handlebar wrap,spare seat, brake cables and levers. And here she lies. Went out for a ride today just over 30 miles. just to get a feel for it. I was realy impressed. And if anyone could give me some insight into what year it might be it be much appreciated
I'm impressed you were able to whip it into shape and ride it 30 miles the next day! Usually takes me at least a year, even if I'm only wiping off the dust.

Oh, and bonus on those drillium rings! Nice job!
Old 07-27-09, 09:33 PM
fishfoodstuart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Here's a picture of the restored bike:

Old 07-27-09, 09:37 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I was eyeballing this one on friday as well...........I replied to an ad in Elgin, can't remember if this was the one though...........great find!
Originally Posted by beech333
The one in Elgin might have been the Miyata 610 with the Brooks saddle, panniers, multiple spare saddles, multiple sets of pedals, tools, and helmet. I picked up that little lot. I believe he also had a Brooks Professional for sale as well.

I'd happily trade for that Dawes though.
Looks like you guys are my competition in Chicago looking for vintage bikes we all don't need more of. Maybe we should start a club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.