Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 12-13-19, 02:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Poppit
3 up sprint tactics

https://youtu.be/U-nxhcucB2Q
This video actually illustrates the same technique that I simply describe as: Fight hard as hell for the #2 spot. That's the best spot.

If you are #1 , then you are fighting the wind by yourself.
If you are #3 , then you have a draft, but you have to pass two people to win.
If you are #2 , then you have the benefit of a draft and only have to pass 1 person to win.
Old 12-13-19, 06:21 PM
KrispyK

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Shimano released some track shoes called the RC901T. They look like a modification of their top end RC901 road shoe but with one boa dial instead of two. They look interesting and aren't too terribly priced.

I would link but i'm not allowed to.
Old 12-14-19, 07:13 PM
Clythio

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
New equipments

https://www.velobike.co.nz/blog//new-tech

shoe covers??!! 🤔
Old 12-14-19, 09:15 PM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
shoe covers are legal (again)
Old 12-14-19, 09:30 PM
Clythio

Originally Posted by Morelock
shoe covers are legal (again)
We didn't need this return.. one more thing to deal with, and in this case (over the strap) even dangerous.
Old 12-15-19, 03:15 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KrispyK
Shimano released some track shoes called the RC901T. They look like a modification of their top end RC901 road shoe but with one boa dial instead of two. They look interesting and aren't too terribly priced.

I would link but i'm not allowed to.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...SH-RC901T.html

They should have left off the strap near the toe. Any trackie using straps won't touch them, and any trackie not using straps will just grab the regular road model.
Old 12-15-19, 09:13 PM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Anecdotal, but I've never been impressed with the hold on the foot that shoes with a single boa have.
Old 12-16-19, 01:37 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Day 3 of World Cup from Brisbane.
Multi rider crash during Women's Omnium Scratch Race - one rider rode the fence but still crashed.
Old 12-16-19, 07:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
Anecdotal, but I've never been impressed with the hold on the foot that shoes with a single boa have.
I've never been terribly impressed with the hold that BOAs offer, in general - one dial or two.

I'm honestly not sure what makes those Shimano shoes better than regular S-phyres for the track.
Old 12-16-19, 11:57 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've never been terribly impressed with the hold that BOAs offer, in general - one dial or two.

I'm honestly not sure what makes those Shimano shoes better than regular S-phyres for the track.
I agree. I think they are neat, but that's about it.

I mean, I get it. Being able to micro-adjust your shoes when on a long road ride with the turn of the wheel is nice as your feet swell. But, that's not gonna happen on the track for several reasons. So, the main benefit of BOA shoes is simply lost on trackies.
Old 12-16-19, 01:47 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Maybe new Mavic trispoke, but it looks like Mavic 3GS.
Old 12-18-19, 04:43 AM
carleton
Elitist

FYI, you can find metric Allen screws at local hardware stores: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Machine-scr...ent=4294710182

The type of screws that are used in stems, seat post clamps, and other odds and ends on the bike.

So, if your screws are stripped or simply looking shabby after lots of use, you may be able to find what you need at the local hardware store. Take one of the ones you intend to replace into the store with you to make sure you get the right size and thread pitch. Look for what you need in the Metric area (most bike screws, nuts, and bolts are Metric).
Old 12-18-19, 08:47 AM
Morelock

Originally Posted by carleton

FYI, you can find metric Allen screws at local hardware stores: https://www.lowes.com/pl/Machine-scr...ent=4294710182

The type of screws that are used in stems, seat post clamps, and other odds and ends on the bike.

So, if your screws are stripped or simply looking shabby after lots of use, you may be able to find what you need at the local hardware store. Take one of the ones you intend to replace into the store with you to make sure you get the right size and thread pitch. Look for what you need in the Metric area (most bike screws, nuts, and bolts are Metric).
Likes For Morelock:
Old 12-18-19, 04:51 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
Agreed. I just don't see a substitute for old fashioned laces.
Old 12-18-19, 11:09 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

I'd go one step further, as someone that worked in a True Value and spent time organizing and stocking those little drawers of nuts and bolts. The little drawers of nuts and bolts should be much higher quality stuff than the stuff you find in the big box stores (unless the store owner is filling them with the wrong stuff). It's super high quality, US made, very good stuff. I buy pretty much all my regular nuts and bolts (water bottle bolts, turbo bolts for the car, etc) from the bins. You can get stainless (I do), most bolts come in various lengths, and the quality is excellent.

Some of the mass packed stuff, and a lot of the stuff in big box stores, is much lower quality. Sometimes that's okay - I use mass packed stainless sheet metal screws for downspouts, various projects around the house, etc). But for quality, machine threads, you can screw up something really expensive or really difficult to fix (a frame, a shifter, a derailleur) with bad threads and it's not worth saving 30 cents or whatever. I've literally tossed a new box of bolts into metal recycling because they were so bad.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 12-22-19, 07:11 PM
KrispyK

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
What shoes would yall recommend for track? I am looking around for a new pair as my specialized Torch 2.0's I am not able to get my shoes tight as I would like for sprints(toe box loose and mid foot tight enough). I was looking at those new Shimano shoes and some lace up shoes such as the Giro Empires, Lake CX1's and Bonts's after browsing the forum. Are lace ups the way to go for sprinting?
Old 12-22-19, 08:56 PM
AmahlAmahlAmahl

Bikes: Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KrispyK
What shoes would yall recommend for track? I am looking around for a new pair as my specialized Torch 2.0's I am not able to get my shoes tight as I would like for sprints(toe box loose and mid foot tight enough). I was looking at those new Shimano shoes and some lace up shoes such as the Giro Empires, Lake CX1's and Bonts's after browsing the forum. Are lace ups the way to go for sprinting?
I had those exactly same shoes. I switch to the BONT Vaypor T shoes and haven't look back. All the sprinters I've met use either these, custom BONT Zero shoes (laces, no BOA), or custom made Sierra shoes. It took me a week or two for my foot to get use to them. I think I've seen Nicholas Paul wearing the Classic Vaypor model at TTOWN (cheapest version of the Vaypor).

Last edited by AmahlAmahlAmahl; 12-22-19 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 09:11 PM
Baby Puke

I'm loving the Lake lace up carbon shoes, come in wide sizes and about 50% the price of Bont's. The wide size was a game changer for me. All personal preference, of course.
Old 12-23-19, 02:35 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I wanted to fit Bonts, but had to give up eventually.

Switched to Fizik R1 PowerStraps.

They were a limited version made for the movistar guys, but straps made from the same material as sprinting straps and a top level carbon sole was hard to argue with.
Old 12-23-19, 06:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
The Lake CX1s are good. I had to replace the laces - I went with waxed hockey skate laces, which are much stronger. Probably the best bang for the buck option.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 12-23-19, 01:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

I want to take this opportunity to remind newer users that they can convert their favorite velcro shoes to lace-ups by having a cobbler cut the straps and punch lace holes or doing it yourself.

Over the years, I've converted 3 pairs of shoes to lace-ups (1 pair of Sidi and 2 pair of Fizik). All 3 had the same configuration: 1 ratcheting strap and 2 velcro straps. I kept the ratcheting strap.

There might be pics in the DIY thread, but I don't have time to look now.

This could be a nice winter project for some...especially if you have some old cycling shoes around.

My absolute favorite track shoes were created this way: 1st generation Fizik R1 (ostrich skin):

Old 12-23-19, 01:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Took a quick snap:

I've had these since, what? 2011? They haven't stretched a millimeter.

The Sidi Genius 5 I had became floppy like old gym socks after half a season. Comfy for casual riding. Sucked for performance riding.
Old 12-23-19, 01:41 PM
Morelock

Yep, I generally scour ebay for old rough/damaged Bont's, then chop them up and lace them. So long as the sole is in (relatively) good shape you can fix/modify most uppers. I've got a pair of old Bont Vaypor's I cut the straps off of (like Carletons Fiziks) then laced and painted. $40 pair of Vaypor T's basically.

Likes For Morelock:
Old 12-23-19, 06:11 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by topflightpro
The Lake CX1s are good. I had to replace the laces - I went with waxed hockey skate laces, which are much stronger. Probably the best bang for the buck option.
Indeed, the laces don't hold up. I replaced with some stiff nylon ones, done. Otherwise best shoes I've ever had. These Lakes are being marketed as "retro" and maybe "touring oriented", but the uppers are so stiff that I don't think they'd actually be good for that purpose. Great track shoes.
Old 12-23-19, 07:06 PM
Clythio

I'm on Sidi Kaos - two points tight Boa lace for the front part (I hate feeling it loose) and the good and old buckled serrated large strap.
They use a "pierced" material that stretched and laced with use for some colors combination, but there is also this more "continuous" and firm material.
Tried the Bont Vaypor but it simply doesn't fit my feet shape. Too large on front part, never feel it tight enough. Middle finger touching the front curve.. etc. Maybe with some heating/molding - didn't try.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.