Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting in riding shape

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Getting in riding shape

Old 11-24-20, 02:28 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by wthensler
Also 62 and work very part time. Was 234 lbs - it took a while for the butt to stop hurting. Don't give up, it gets better!

Now riding 30-60 miles most days on a couple really nice road bikes. I'm 188 now, and I feel great on a bike.

Get a good bike fit - you need to know your stack and reach numbers - money well spent!
I keep hearing about stack and reach but am not sure of how to measure it. Also, could you speak to the relevancy of these measurements once you know what they are?

I know about top tube and seat tube length and also head tube length but I'm intimidated about how to derive the stack and reach and what it all means.
Old 11-24-20, 03:16 PM
bbsupersport

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Firenze, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Rocky Mountain Whistler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
thanks. I am changing my diet to lose weight and riding to get in shape. I also just want to ride to see stuff. I retired at the end of July and the covid really put a crimp in my plans.
My wife bought the Zwift thing and I have an indoor trainer. I am putting my comfort bike on it for now.
Good on you for making the effort to live a more healthy lifestyle. I'm also 62, retired 2 years ago, and started riding this summer. A couple of things that have helped me keep going, I registered to ride for charity in The Great Cycle Challenge to raise money to fight kid's cancer and set a distance goal for the month of August. It was a great experience, rewarding knowing that I was able to help out a bit for a great cause and pushed me to get out and ride. Also, I started riding with a couple of buddies and this really made it more fun. We usually set a destination where we could grab a coffee before turning around and heading back. It took me about 3-4 weeks before my shoulder and butt pain started easing up but eventually, I got to the point where I actually stopped thinking about it.
I bought a used road bike a week ago and ordered an indoor trainer to keep going so I don't have to start all over again in the spring.
All the best to you!
Old 11-24-20, 03:20 PM
bbsupersport

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Firenze, 2001 Litespeed Tuscany, 2018 Rocky Mountain Whistler

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Find a group and try to keep up.
I did, took me six months to keep up with them
Then I became The Rabbit. Got in 15,923 Miles my 2nd year. 67 Years Old
Wow, this is inspiring!
Old 11-24-20, 03:49 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I keep hearing about stack and reach but am not sure of how to measure it. Also, could you speak to the relevancy of these measurements once you know what they are?

I know about top tube and seat tube length and also head tube length but I'm intimidated about how to derive the stack and reach and what it all means.
Stack = the difference in height between the center of the bottom bracket and the top of the headtube measured vertically.
Reach = the distance from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the headtube measured horizontally.

Once you've found a bike that fits just right, make a note of the stack and reach. It will be helpful in making sure you can recreate the same riding position on your next bike.

Last edited by Oldguyonoldbike; 11-24-20 at 03:51 PM. Reason: for clarity
Old 11-24-20, 04:29 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
I just retired at 62- really crappy timing covid.
I have a late ‘80s Raleigh road bike.
I am also about 260 pounds and quit smoking 2 years ago. I have started really watching what I eat.
For the past week I have been riding a loop tjrough my town that is about 1.5 miles in length to get my legs used to exercise again.
Today I doubled the length and tomorrow I will go further. I felt really good today. I plan on going 5 miles per day for a week depending on weather then trying for 10 miles per day or more.

How long until my butt and bike saddle become friends?
Kudos to you for starting to get fitter. Between 2011 and 2013, I lost 165 lbs, started riding daily, and eventually started racing. Without going into far more detail than anyone wants to read, I did just what you're doing. I did SOMETHING every day, and gradually built endurance and power. The key was doing SOMETHING every single day, even if it was just walking a treadmill for 10 minutes while watching the news.

One important tip - getting a good bike fit will do wonders for making your butt like your bike, and your back and neck will thank you, too.

keep up the great work. It seems like it'll take forever, but in a year or two you'll look back and be amazed at how far you've come.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 11-24-20, 05:35 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 160 Posts
Like I mentioned I have a road bike and a comfort bike. The road bike rolls more easily than the comfort bike, probably because of the tires.
I am thinking I should rude the comfort bike more than the road bike just to condition my legs.
Make sense?
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 11-24-20, 06:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Like I mentioned I have a road bike and a comfort bike. The road bike rolls more easily than the comfort bike, probably because of the tires.
I am thinking I should rude the comfort bike more than the road bike just to condition my legs.
Make sense?
No. Just ride the road bike at the effort it would take to propel the comfort bike, You'll have a lot more fun and go more places and be more comfortable. Road bikes are actually more comfortable. The label "comfort bike" is a misnomer,
Old 11-24-20, 08:45 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
thanks. I am changing my diet to lose weight and riding to get in shape. I also just want to ride to see stuff. I retired at the end of July and the covid really put a crimp in my plans.
My wife bought the Zwift thing and I have an indoor trainer. I am putting my comfort bike on it for now.
Congrats on retirement!

I just celebrated my 1 year Zwiftversary on Nov 13. On that day I hit level 34. I have all of the route badges and have completed all of the challenges and have the Tron. 1 year ago I when I started I had been riding somewhat casually for a year, rode maybe 700 miles at the most. I was being treated for Lyme Disease and had been off my bike for 3 months. My first ride on Zwift lasted 14 miles, thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest.

But I stuck with it and added challenge after challenge, I rode 4900+ miles on my trainer/Zwift, 365,000 feet of climbing for the year, even after that very rocky start. The whole thing kind of took on a life of it's own. I say this to let you know that I didn't think I could ever do a century, even a metric century at age 62. I thought that train had left the station. In addition, I joined a local riding club and rode once a week with them and really learned a lot.

Zwift has a lot of group and social rides. From beginner to honcho and at all times of the day. I like the rides sponsored by the HERD. Nice and easy and good people. If you set up your smart phone to run the companion app, you can text chat or download the discord app and communicate talking while riding with the group. My first group ride, was not with the HERD, I bailed out at about 10 miles so no shame if at first it's difficult.

You can find out a lot about Zwift by browsing Zwiftinsider.com

I would say use which ever bike on your trainer you think will be most comfortable. When you mount your bike on the trainer it will be rigid and solid. No movement at all. That makes it a bit uncomfortable because there is no give. So try either bike it probably will not make a big difference. See which one works best.

So I encourage you to search for something that works, helps you meet your goals, you will be so glad you did.
As bbbean said so well, do something every day even if only 10 minutes. Even if you don't feel like it, force yourself. Just do it, then it will become a habit, then you will start looking forward to getting on your bike.

Last edited by Thomas15; 11-24-20 at 08:55 PM.