Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Pinehurst Rd Closed for 2 weeks starting 9/15

Search
Notices
Northern California Northern California

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 07:27 AM
ztmlgr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

The closure will be at the lower hairpin. Although the CCC website doesn't say so explicitly, it appears "full-time closure" means it will be closed 24 hours a day, not just during work hours. Depending on where they erect the barricades, there might be a workaround access for the adventurous bicyclist who doesn't mind scrambling up the hill from the road below the hairpin to the road above it.

https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/Civic....aspx?AID=2753

The full-time closure of Pinehurst Road will start on Wednesday, September 15, 2021 with re-opening by Wednesday, September 29, 2021. NO PUBLIC TRAFFIC WILL BE ALLOWED THROUGH THE WORK ZONE during this closure.
Old 09-13-21, 11:34 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I rode through yesterday. The culvert under the hairpin is being replaced, so it will be a full 24 hour closure. Also, I heard the county may be doing much needed repairs above the hairpin on the road, so it may not just be a simple matter of getting around that one point. I really hope they fix some of the failures higher up, because it is super dangerous now, very deep, long, and wide cracks, some with big drop offs. You have to be really focused to make it down that top part without hitting a rut. Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen, so it would sure behoove them to make these repairs!

Last edited by cthenn; 09-13-21 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 06:21 PM
ztmlgr

I noticed on Strava that quite a few riders (dozens, probably hundreds) were riding on Pinehurst on the weekends when it was technically closed, but no workers were onsite so nobody was there to enforce the closure. The work was supposed to be completed by last Wednesday, but I rode by today, Friday 10/1, at around 2:30 PM and the "guard" at Wilcox station (basically just one of the work crew who drew the short straw and was assigned to keep riders out of the work zone) told me they are not done yet and will be working tomorrow, Saturday 10/2, in order to get the work finished and have it open by Sunday. So, just a caution that if you're planning a route on Pinehurst tomorrow, Saturday 10/2, you might want to avoid the area. I think the work crew has been having issues with riders trying to get around the work zone, as evidenced by the message on the big board posted at the intersection of Canyon and Pinehurst.

Old 10-01-21, 10:06 PM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Ha ha ha. I love that sign.
Old 10-02-21, 05:49 PM
ztmlgr

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Ha ha ha. I love that sign.
The message changed again today. Not sure who's changing it or to whom the message is directed. I rode through today and the road was completely open with no "guard", no "road closed" signs, and no work crew. it appears the work is not yet done, but the road will no longer be completely closed.

Likes For ztmlgr:
Old 10-08-21, 12:36 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
OT, but has anyone ridden through the other closure on Happy Valley, or if it's open yet?
Old 10-08-21, 02:01 PM
ztmlgr

Originally Posted by cthenn
OT, but has anyone ridden through the other closure on Happy Valley, or if it's open yet?
I rode by yesterday. Work looks to be all done and a good portion of the roadway has been nicely repaved and smooth.

Likes For ztmlgr: