Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

10/11 Cassettes and Spacers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 11:56 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I have a new GRX wheelset, and it shipped with a 1.85mm spacer to use if I'm using 10 speed. I am using 10 speed (Deore 11-36). I put on the spacer, the cassette and tightened it down. While there is no play between the sprockets, there seems to be a slight play...if I put my thumb between the largest sprocket and the spokes, and push straight out from the wheel on the backside of the largest sprocket, there is a bit of give. My other wheelset (WTB, stock on the bike) also has a 10sp cassette and when I do this same test there is no play/give. I took it to a shop and they looked it over, checking for play between the sprockets and there was none, but he did notice what I was saying and said it was fine (as it was very minor, and otherwise everything else seemed fine), and likely a natural thing with that freehub body (i.e., I presume it's the freehub and some 'softness' to it?, not installation of the cassette with provided spacer).

1) Would inserting another thin spacer help at all (I wasn't going to bother, but if someone's had this experience and that removed the play, I would try it)
2) Has someone noticed this with certain freehub bodies, and anything I should do about it?

To be honest I'm going to just ride it as is and if I don't notice anything 'off', I won't worry about it...but thought I would ask here because I always get good advice :-)
Old 01-12-22, 12:10 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I've noticed a slight movement with some combos even when everything is assembled correctly. I agree with the shop, don't worry about it. On the other hand, you could add a few paper spacers....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-12-22, 12:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Try another 1.85 mm spacer (which is very cheap)? And if the same result, maybe the slight play is between the freehub and the wheel hub, not between the freehub and the 10 speed cassette?
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-12-22, 12:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
It's common for many free hub bodies to have a slight bearing play. So to with freewheels. Andy
Old 01-12-22, 01:31 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Some 10 speed cassettes come with a 1mm spacer for use on 8/9/10 speed hubs. On an 11 speed hub, you need the 1.85 + the 1mm spacer to use the same 10 speed cassette.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 01-12-22, 01:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
It really doesn't matter whether the individual cogs move a little bit or not. All the spacers are for is to give you the correct spacing to each other and the one that goes on the free hub prior to the cassette if any is to give you the more correct chain line for the entire cassette. The lock ring tightens into the free hub and it's of no real consequence if the cassette or individual cogs moves slightly. Might just call it a self-adjustment feature because chain forces will pull or keep it in it's more ideal position.

I might be delusional, but that explanation of how all things cassette works for me.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-12-22 at 01:59 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-12-22, 02:27 PM
Noonievut

Thanks for the responses. I pulled the cassette off the other wheel and it has only the same 1.85mm spacer. So I’m going to leave it be for now.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 01-12-22, 03:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Iride01
It really doesn't matter whether the individual cogs move a little bit or not. All the spacers are for is to give you the correct spacing to each other and the one that goes on the free hub prior to the cassette if any is to give you the more correct chain line for the entire cassette. The lock ring tightens into the free hub and it's of no real consequence if the cassette or individual cogs moves slightly. Might just call it a self-adjustment feature because chain forces will pull or keep it in it's more ideal position.

I might be delusional, but that explanation of how all things cassette works for me.
I am not sure about the above. From what I have read here (and elsewhere), there should be no lateral play (i.e., along the axis of the cassette) from cog to cog or between any cog and the freehub. Otherwise, RD shifting would be affected.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-12-22, 03:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am not sure about the above. From what I have read here (and elsewhere), there should be no lateral play (i.e., along the axis of the cassette) from cog to cog or between any cog and the freehub. Otherwise, RD shifting would be affected.
I'm not claiming that any amount of play is okay. But if you add up the stack tolerances of the cassettes and spacers then to me it is conceivable that when one pushes on just one individual cog that it might appear to have too much play. Note that I said stack tolerances which might result in extra space if many of the cogs or spacers are on the smaller end of their acceptable tolerances.

For the case of the OP, I suggest that if there are no issues otherwise, they just not worry about it until it shows a functional issue with shifting or some other thing. But of course they should ensure the lock ring is tight and that they are using the correct spacer for that particular cassette/freehub combo if one is required.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-12-22 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-12-22, 04:39 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
Thanks for the responses. I pulled the cassette off the other wheel and it has only the same 1.85mm spacer. So I’m going to leave it be for now.
As noted, on many 11-speed freehub bodies a 10-speed cassette (only 10-speed, not 8 or 9-speed cassettes) requires the 1.85mm spacer + the 1 mm spacer included with the cassette. Check the back of the cassette you removed from another wheel to see if the 1mm spacer isn't really there in the recess behind the largest cog. That spacer can easily be "glued" in place by oil or dirt and it's easy to miss seeing it.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-12-22, 09:42 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Having the cassette locked down tightly reduces notching on the freehub splines, IMO.

The recommended torque on the cassette lockring is considerably higher than you would think going by feel, lending weight to the idea that it's good to have the cassette tight.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-13-22, 12:22 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I'm not claiming that any amount of play is okay. But if you add up the stack tolerances of the cassettes and spacers then to me it is conceivable that when one pushes on just one individual cog that it might appear to have too much play.
I am not saying that there are no manufacturing tolerances. Rather, just that those should not be detectable by touch as play if the lock ring is correctly installed.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
The recommended torque on the cassette lockring is considerably higher than you would think going by feel, lending weight to the idea that it's good to have the cassette tight.
This is what I was suggesting in my above reply to Iride01.
Old 01-13-22, 07:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Remove the 1.8 & use two 1mm spacers.
Old 01-13-22, 10:38 AM
Noonievut

Curiosity got the better of me and I tried the recommendations above, it didn’t make a difference to that slight movement I mentioned.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 01-13-22, 02:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I'd like to see what is causing the play. Doesnt seem like a cog spacing issue if the 2mm of shims didnt cause for any lesser wiggle.
Old 01-13-22, 11:42 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
is something like this worth buying? 20 pieces for $11. It does not have the common shimano 1.85 though. which is kind of strange.

Old 01-14-22, 07:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
I think this has been explained in post #4.
Old 01-14-22, 10:34 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
It really doesn't matter whether the individual cogs move a little bit or not.
In fact, it does. Not for shifting, but because if the cogs are actually moving back and forth on the freehub body, they are going to chew it up fairly quickly. It is very unlikely that the OP is experiencing cogs moving on the freehub but actually bearing play in the freehub.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-14-22, 12:42 PM
Noonievut

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
In fact, it does. Not for shifting, but because if the cogs are actually moving back and forth on the freehub body, they are going to chew it up fairly quickly. It is very unlikely that the OP is experiencing cogs moving on the freehub but actually bearing play in the freehub.
Im not experiencing this at all, zero play between sprockets and shifting etc is fine
Old 01-15-22, 06:18 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Some 10 speed cassettes come with a 1mm spacer for use on 8/9/10 speed hubs. On an 11 speed hub, you need the 1.85 + the 1mm spacer to use the same 10 speed cassette.
If anything, this.