Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Washing bike in shower

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Washing bike in shower

Old 02-07-22, 03:27 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
A damp microfiber towel is all you need to clean a bike unless it is caked in clay-based mud.

Of course, it helps if you use wax or some other dry lube on your chain. Then it needs no cleaning; the main issue becomes keeping it dry while you clean the rest of the bike. With a damp microfiber towel.
Old 02-07-22, 04:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Be careful with the head set in the shower. They can be kind of sensitive.
Old 02-07-22, 04:35 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Yeah. Could be. Just throwing it out there as an option. No way I'd bring a dirty bike through the house and into the bathroom.

Even when my kids were little...if they got dirty...hosed 'em off outside before they could come in the house.

I use the self serve bay at the car wash quite often. I just make sure to keep the sprayer away from the bottom bracket area and wheel hubs.

But then, 'house', 'outside hose', and 'self serve car wash' likely don't apply to NYC apartment life...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-08-22, 06:17 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
But then, 'house', 'outside hose', and 'self serve car wash' likely don't apply to NYC apartment life...
Precisely. I have never lived in NYC, but I have lived in an Italian city for a few months. Stayed in a hotel, and rode a beat-up old Rudge, for which I paid very few lire. My room was small. My bed was small, which is another story altogether - my feet hung about a foot off the end of the bed, and I'm only 72" tall! Anyway, they didnt like me keeping my bike in the room. The bike would bump up against things and leave a smudge. I kept the chain going with a wad of paper towels to clean it and a can of motor oil. Eventually the maids got P-O'ed and complained to the hotel manager, and he came to see me. I was young and belligerent, but I quickly put the situation to rest and chained the bike to a lamp post behind the hotel. When I woke up the next day it was gone.
Old 02-08-22, 06:32 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Be careful with the head set in the shower. They can be kind of sensitive.
That's what she said, right?
Old 02-08-22, 07:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts

I use the self serve bay at the car wash quite often. I just make sure to keep the sprayer away from the bottom bracket area and wheel hubs.
I do it that way too if the bike gets dirty after I've drained and rolled up the hose at home already. Mount the bike on the cheap Allen bike rack and drive it to the car wash.

I use the Low Pressure setting.
Old 02-08-22, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
How dirty does a road bike get?
it's New York City in February. with recent storms & cold weather, I'm guessing there's some road salt everywhere mixed with droppings from all kinds of commercial vehicles. near me, in Waltham, on route 117, right near the bridge over route 128, there's a storm drain that overflows w/ what I'm guessing in household raw sewage, from the smell of it. used to bike commute that way & it never failed to gross me out when there was a lot of extra water on the roadway there
Old 02-08-22, 08:41 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Even if one lives in an apartment...I'm sure NYC has a self serve car wash.
Old 02-08-22, 08:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Garden sprayer tank. Outside.
was gonna suggest that myself

just got one myself. but the OP might need more fire power & depending on what floor he lives how would he handle the logistics? I can run inside fill it up & leave the bike unattended. the other day I had to fill it twice. even if he gets a bigger one, does he want to lug the jug & other cleaning supplies like a towel, etc up & down steps or elevator?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-08-22, 10:16 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
it's New York City in February. with recent storms & cold weather, I'm guessing there's some road salt everywhere mixed with droppings from all kinds of commercial vehicles. near me, in Waltham, on route 117, right near the bridge over route 128, there's a storm drain that overflows w/ what I'm guessing in household raw sewage, from the smell of it. used to bike commute that way & it never failed to gross me out when there was a lot of extra water on the roadway there
As if the smell of ambient bum piss and poop in that city is not enough to gross you out.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-08-22, 10:26 AM
rumrunn6

As if the smell of ambient bum piss and poop in that city is not enough to gross you out.
I here ya, but I didn't want to go "there" & insult where the OP lives. I lived in a northern borough & worked in the city & my memories are mostly all good
Old 02-08-22, 10:49 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I thought that was mostly a San Francisco thing?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 02-08-22, 11:15 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Even if one lives in an apartment...I'm sure NYC has a self serve car wash.
I'm sure NYC has them somewhere, but if the OP has to ride several miles on slushy winter roads to get to/from, it seems kind of pointless.

I live in Chicago and this definitely isn't an option for me. The closest spray wash is over 4 miles away.
Old 02-08-22, 11:47 AM
prj71

I guess if you don't have a car to get it there and back home then that would be a problem.
Old 02-08-22, 02:44 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Very dirty if it is rainy or wet, on the road or not. Throw in some wet gravel and we are talking caked on, very gritty filth. If snow and ice was recent, the road salt really needs to come off.
Old 02-08-22, 04:54 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
^ For sure. In winter or in the wet a road bike can get very dirty.

Unfortunately my bike doesn't fit in the shower, but if I had a big "walk-in" shower or a bath tub shower, I'd be very tempted to use it as a bike wash!
Old 02-08-22, 05:04 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
Does anyone wash off their bike in the shower? Here in NYC it's a bit too cold outside to hose off the bike outside. I'd like to get all the street grim off the bike.
I do occasionally, but only when the wife isn't home.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 02-08-22, 08:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by lyle.coop
Does anyone wash off their bike in the shower? Here in NYC it's a bit too cold outside to hose off the bike outside. I'd like to get all the street grim off the bike.
Safe to assume you rent?
Old 02-08-22, 08:08 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
No. Sometimes I will wash a wheel in the shower after a messy tubeless setup, but generally no. There's just no need to do that with a road bike imo, it just doesn't get that messy.

What I do when a wipe with a wet rag won't do is possibly worse; I get it in the kitchen/living room (the floor is tiled), spray some soapy water, and then a bit of clean water and wipe it all with a rag then relube. Then clean the floor afterwards. Wife doesn't really object because, well, I clean her bikes, too, and clean after myself when I'm done.
Old 02-09-22, 04:56 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
No. Sometimes I will wash a wheel in the shower after a messy tubeless setup, but generally no. There's just no need to do that with a road bike imo, it just doesn't get that messy.

What I do when a wipe with a wet rag won't do is possibly worse; I get it in the kitchen/living room (the floor is tiled), spray some soapy water, and then a bit of clean water and wipe it all with a rag then relube. Then clean the floor afterwards. Wife doesn't really object because, well, I clean her bikes, too, and clean after myself when I'm done.
Perhaps you are a fair weather rider, nothing wrong with that. Living in a beach area, even if it is dry, when the wind is up, sand gets blown and kicked up into the drive train and other areas. It gets to the point you actually hear the the grit, if it gets bad enough. That has got to go. I know of no way to get that off and out of the chain, gogs, etc. without a hose or some way of using water with a bit of pressure behind it. Using just a spray and wet cloth is likely going to affect the surface of the finish of the frameset. It's like wiping it down with sandpaper, JMO, of course. Personally, I will do it in the shower before the kitchen or other living space, any day. Wash those troubles down the drain. However it gets done, I prefer a clean, quiet bike.
Old 02-09-22, 05:09 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I would hope there’s not raw sewage in storm drains. Especially in the western burbs.

I’m partial to the smell of hot garbage in July
Old 02-09-22, 06:12 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Hah! You've never seen the NYC roadside piles of grey-black mung that 2 weeks previous was fresh snow. That plowed stuff becomes filthy oily salty blech, and that's on my road bike, shoes, etc.

I know, I know. New Yorkers are nuts.
Old 02-09-22, 07:00 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I did this just last night. BUT it was a bare frame and I was prepping it to be get painted so it has no components on it. I was just getting clean before paint prepping. My wife still was less than happy with my decision.
I probably wouldn't try it again.......couch seems like a poor place to sleep.
Old 02-09-22, 08:21 AM
prj71

This thread reminds me why I don't live in NYC or any big city.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-09-22, 08:56 AM
Mojo31
-------

This thread reminds me why I don't live in NYC or any big city.
Can I get an AMEN!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.