Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northern California
Reload this Page >

Anyone local able to ream a BB92 shell?

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Old 02-19-22, 04:32 PM
StanfordRacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for a shop or framebuilder in the Bay Area (I'm in Redwood City) who has a Park 744 reamer or other way to ream and face a BB92 shell. It's an odd request, and none of the shops I've called have the tool. Anyone know a place that has one?

I got a carbon frame to build up for my son and it has an aluminum BB92 bottom bracket shell. The kid-sized cranks I have are made for BB86 (or any other road bike standard), so I need to narrow the shell by 2-3mm on each side. There is plenty of aluminum shell sticking out from both sides of the carbon to do it. Facing the frame is relatively straight forward, but I'll also need the 42mm internal hole reamed out a little deeper, or I won't be able to press in the BB bearings far enough.

I was trying to save money on this build, but I'm almost at the point where I'll buy the tool for a shop in exchange for doing the work for me.

Appreciate anyone's help or ideas. I'm also in Truckee pretty frequently, so Tahoe area shops are also a possibility.
Old 02-19-22, 06:11 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,472 Posts
R.e.i.

try a local REI,their bike shops do quality repairs & at a very reasonable rate if your a member.had a stripped BB shell tapped Italian for $30. total.
Old 02-19-22, 06:14 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Call Tom at Velotech in Palo Alto and see if he can help you. He's the best mechanic I know in the area and might be able to help you.