Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Decisions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Decisions

Old 12-19-21, 08:06 AM
RC23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Decisions

I currently ride a 1996 trek 5000 OCLV. Great bike but I think 25 years is enough! Trying to decide between Trek Emonda SL7, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8, and Pinarello Prince. All are within $500 of each other but Canyon seems to be the best outfitted and Pinarello the least.

any thoughts?
Old 12-19-21, 08:58 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I have a personal beef with TREK so I can't really speak to them for you. But, I have been interested in the Canyon and the Pinarello models you mentioned. As I've researched them, and others, the factor that jumps out at me is sizing. I have a 32.5" inseam and a wingspan of 71" and with bikes designated S-M-L I find myself at a loss for a good fit. In traditional fitting I would take a 55 frame and 55 TT. In that regard the Pinarello fits me better. If I were you, I'd be inclined to go with the bike that fits best.
Old 12-19-21, 01:21 PM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I have a personal beef with TREK so I can't really speak to them for you. But, I have been interested in the Canyon and the Pinarello models you mentioned. As I've researched them, and others, the factor that jumps out at me is sizing. I have a 32.5" inseam and a wingspan of 71" and with bikes designated S-M-L I find myself at a loss for a good fit. In traditional fitting I would take a 55 frame and 55 TT. In that regard the Pinarello fits me better. If I were you, I'd be inclined to go with the bike that fits best.
Thanks for the feedback! Biggest problem is finding any shops around me to actually see these bikes in person is impossible. I have ridden a friends Pinarello f10 and loved it and the Pin looks the coolest of the three. 😀

out of curiosity, what’s your beef with TREK?
Old 12-19-21, 03:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by RC23
Thanks for the feedback! Biggest problem is finding any shops around me to actually see these bikes in person is impossible. I have ridden a friends Pinarello f10 and loved it and the Pin looks the coolest of the three. 😀

out of curiosity, what’s your beef with TREK?
My problem is with the way TREK treated LeMond when he (rightly) called out Armstrong for his doping. I can't speak to the quality/benefits of their bikes.
Old 12-19-21, 10:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
They are all great bikes that will serve you well, and you'd be more than happy with either of them. I doubt you'll find a Canyon to test unless a friend or club mate has one they can lend you. Canyons always tend to be better value for money due to their direct-to-consumer model. After sales support is reportedly a little hit or miss (I've never needed it, my Aeroad has been awesome so far). They did answer my pre-sale email within a day, so that was good.

If you love the look of the Pinarello, get it. I just did around 400km on a hired Pinarello F8-S and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't buy one, but a great bike nonetheless.
Old 12-19-21, 10:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
You seemed to have answered your own question when you mentioned that you liked the look of the Pinarello.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-19-21, 11:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked 1,413 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
I doubt you'll find a Canyon to test unless a friend or club mate has one they can lend you.
If you live in Southern California, Canyon is located in Carlsbad, California and allow test rides of select models.

Canyon Home US | CANYON US

I am fortunate that is on my way to the office.
Old 12-20-21, 06:30 AM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
They are all great bikes that will serve you well, and you'd be more than happy with either of them. I doubt you'll find a Canyon to test unless a friend or club mate has one they can lend you. Canyons always tend to be better value for money due to their direct-to-consumer model. After sales support is reportedly a little hit or miss (I've never needed it, my Aeroad has been awesome so far). They did answer my pre-sale email within a day, so that was good.

If you love the look of the Pinarello, get it. I just did around 400km on a hired Pinarello F8-S and it was pretty cool. I wouldn't buy one, but a great bike nonetheless.

The only thing that concerns me on the Canyon is the pressfit bb? Is that a legitimate concern or am I overthinking that. Been reading that other brands are going back to exclusively threaded…
Old 12-20-21, 06:32 AM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
You seemed to have answered your own question when you mentioned that you liked the look of the Pinarello.
LOL! You may be right about that! Alloy handlebars and aluminum wheels can be upgraded over time and that’s about all that is holding me back with the Pinarello.
Likes For RC23:
Old 12-20-21, 08:17 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
These days, fit is best determined by stack and reach. Once you've figured that out, it's much easier to compare the fit of several brands. The only snag is that reach can only be compared at one stack height. If two sizes are being compared and one has a 20mm shorter stack, assume that 20mm of spacer will be added and subtract 6mm from the listed reach to make the comparison.

A person with a long torso should expect to use a long stem and/or long reach bars to get a good fit. Buy the frame to fit your short legs. I have long legs and a short torso but buy a frame that's on the smaller side because I use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I use short reach bars and 100-110mm stems. My cycling inseam is 83cm or 32-5/8 inch and I look for a maximum stack of 530mm and a reach no longer than 380mm. My current Cinelli Superstar disc frames are the smallest size offered.

If I was buying new today, the bike would have to be 12 speed. This season was my third on 12 speed. I used Campy 12 mechanical in '19 and sram force axs in '20 and '21. I much prefer electronic 12 speed.

​​​​​I'm not fond of integrated bars that make a huge ordeal out of a simple change in reach. I'm sticking with conventional bars and stems. I also build up my bikes, so I don't get stuck with a bunch of parts I don't like.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 12-20-21 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-20-21, 08:55 AM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
These days, fit is best determined by stack and reach. Once you've figured that out, it's much easier to compare the fit of several brands. The only snag is that reach can only be compared at one stack height. If two sizes are being compared and one has a 20mm shorter stack, assume that 20mm of spacer will be added and subtract 6mm from the listed reach to make the comparison.

A person with a long torso should expect to use a long stem and/or long reach bars to get a good fit. Buy the frame to fit your short legs. I have long legs and a short torso but buy a frame that's on the smaller side because I use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I use short reach bars and 100-110mm stems. My cycling inseam is 83cm or 32-5/8 inch and I look for a maximum stack of 530mm and a reach no longer than 380mm. My current Cinelli Superstar disc frames are the smallest size offered.

If I was buying new today, the bike would have to be 12 speed. This season was my third on 12 speed. I used Campy 12 mechanical in '19 and sram force axs in '20 and '21. I much prefer electronic 12 speed.

​​​​​I'm not fond of integrated bars that make a huge ordeal out of a simple change in reach. I'm sticking with conventional bars and stems. I also build up my bikes, so I don't get stuck with a bunch of parts I don't like.
Thanks DaveSSS for the info. I am not planning to build my own bike but your input will certainly help me sift through fit!
Old 12-20-21, 08:57 AM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
If you live in Southern California, Canyon is located in Carlsbad, California and allow test rides of select models.

I am fortunate that is on my way to the office.
Midwesterner...I don't think my wife will approve a trip to So Cal for a test ride!
Likes For RC23:
Old 12-20-21, 11:14 AM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
Midwesterner...I don't think my wife will approve a trip to So Cal for a test ride!
You won’t know unless you ask. JK
Likes For Bruizer:
Old 12-20-21, 11:41 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
I have long legs and a short torso but buy a frame that's on the smaller side because I use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I use short reach bars and 100-110mm stems. My cycling inseam is 83cm or 32-5/8 inch and I look for a maximum stack of 530mm and a reach no longer than 380mm. My current Cinelli Superstar disc frames are the smallest size offered.
So, based on your inseam and your saddle-to-bar drop, the OP should buy ... the Pinarello?
Old 12-20-21, 01:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

You are approaching this all wrong.

I suggest that you broach a romantic getaway for you and your wife in sunny SoCal, and Legoland (if you have young kids), and just happen to save a half day for you to visit Canyon while your wife is at the spa at the resort.

Do call ahead to Canyon to make sure it has the models you are interested in.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-20-21, 01:57 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9531 Post(s)
Liked 6,273 Times in 3,459 Posts

I suggest that you broach a romantic getaway for you and your wife in sunny SoCal, and Legoland (if you have young kids), and just happen to save a half day for you to visit Canyon while your wife is at the spa at the resort.

Never met a woman who did not enjoy a trip to California.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-20-21, 02:32 PM
RC23

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Excellent approach!
Old 12-20-21, 04:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Any of those bikes are fine. You might wait a few more months. By mid summer hopefully the LBS's will be complaining about too much inventory.

If you don't have a lot of experience I'd try them first. While they aren't crazy aggressive in the fit they aren't quite relaxed fit bikes either. Unless your Trek 5000 was a little small for you and the seat tube sticking way up and the bars dropped low, then you might find yourself looking for something to raise the bars higher.

But if you like an aero position, then which comes in a color that you really like? Which one say "ride me" to you?
Old 12-20-21, 04:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I have a personal beef with TREK...
My problem is with the way TREK treated LeMond...
Is your first name Bruce or Greg? If its Bruce, is this a personal beef?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-20-21, 06:27 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
The only thing that concerns me on the Canyon is the pressfit bb? Is that a legitimate concern or am I overthinking that. Been reading that other brands are going back to exclusively threaded…
I personally haven't had any issues.
Old 12-20-21, 06:42 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Never met a woman who did not enjoy a trip to California.
I knew a girl named Ivanka who really disliked California.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-20-21, 09:21 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I have a 2021 Prince with Di2 that I picked up in November 2020. The wheels were not great; I replaced them with FFWD RYOT 55s. I've put a little over 7000 miles on that bike and absolutely love it. Every time I ride it, it makes me smile. It is comfy, feels fast, but is a little on the heavy side.

I have raced crits on it, done multiple solo centuries, ridden fondos, lots of group rides, and would buy it again tomorrow. I have a cross bike and now a gravel bike that both get miles, but the Prince is hands down my favorite bike I have ever owned. The Canyon is a better deal (I have a canyon Inflite Al), but the Prince is priced right around similarly specced bikes from most other manufacturers.

(Forgive the poorly staged, non drive side photo).
Likes For ericcox:
Old 12-20-21, 09:50 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,816 Posts
Be aware that the Canyon Ultimate comes with an integrated cockpit which makes adjusting your reach quite difficult. You can't just swap in a different length stem. So triple check the measurements and make sure the bike *really* fits. Of course, that's an extra challenge without a test ride.
Old 12-20-21, 11:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The only snag is that reach can only be compared at one stack height. If two sizes are being compared and one has a 20mm shorter stack, assume that 20mm of spacer will be added and subtract 6mm from the listed reach to make the comparison.
Thanks for the tip. My Synapse (54) has a stack of 570 mm and reach of 378 mm, plus I use almost all my spacers (55 mm total) but with a 100 mm stem in the -8 degree orientation, and the Endurace (S) has a stack of 557 mm and reach of 376 mm. Canyon recommends that I take this size instead of (M) which has a stack of 578 mm and a reach of 382 mm. Height-wise I am exactly at the top limit of (S) and the bottom limit of (M), even though I know that inseam is more relevant than height. I cannot figure all of this out so I plan to bring my own bike to Canyon and compare it to the Endurace in both sizes.

​​​​I'm not fond of integrated bars that make a huge ordeal out of a simple change in reach. I'm sticking with conventional bars and stems. I also build up my bikes, so I don't get stuck with a bunch of parts I don't like.
Hear, hear!
Old 12-21-21, 09:48 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
For the OP, the big problem may be availability. Ordering a Canyon that might not fit is risky. The model you noted is mostly sold out. There's nothing wrong with any of them, but whether you can get any of them quickly is another matter. For each model you'll find someone who owns one and loves it. If you have a local dealer, you could take your bike to them and see if they could figure out the best size. If your current bike works, but is set up goofy with many spacers and a high rise stem, they might suggest a different size than you have now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.