Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-04-22, 05:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18393 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Photo is from the drivers seat in my truck as we were leaving after the end of the Mickelson Trail trip in Edgemont, this was how I knew what the temp was. Sign at the bank says 34 degrees C. The flag on the light pole shows how windy it was. Street was almost completely deserted, nobody wanted to be out in the heat.

I’ll bet the bunnies weren’t even out in that. I spent two nights there. The only thing more numerous than the bunnies running around in the streets were the trains.
Old 01-12-22, 09:53 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I am planning ride the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD as my first tour sometime in 2022. I am still working on a lot of the details around timing (late spring, summer or fall), lodging and if I will be doing a solo tour or if I will have some company.
I am looking at either a 3 or a 4 day ride with the following itineraries.

4 Day
Downtown Pittsburgh to West Newton (35 mi)
West Newton to Ohiopyle (42 mi)
Ohiopyle to Meyersdale (40 mi)
Meyersdale to Cumberland (32 mi)

3 Day
Downtown Pittsburgh to Connellsville (60 mi)
Connellsville to Rockwood (45 mi)
Rockwood to Cumberland (44 mi)

I know the mileage totals are fairly modest, but I really want to enjoy the trip and take in the scenery as I go.
Old 01-12-22, 10:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bigwies
I am planning ride the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD as my first tour sometime in 2022. I am still working on a lot of the details around timing (late spring, summer or fall), lodging and if I will be doing a solo tour or if I will have some company.
I am looking at either a 3 or a 4 day ride with the following itineraries.

4 Day
Downtown Pittsburgh to West Newton (35 mi)
West Newton to Ohiopyle (42 mi)
Ohiopyle to Meyersdale (40 mi)
Meyersdale to Cumberland (32 mi)

3 Day
Downtown Pittsburgh to Connellsville (60 mi)
Connellsville to Rockwood (45 mi)
Rockwood to Cumberland (44 mi)

I know the mileage totals are fairly modest, but I really want to enjoy the trip and take in the scenery as I go.
I’ve done your 3 day itinerary twice in that direction. The day to Connellsville is not necessarily a gimme. I had noticeable headwinds both times, and it’s relatively slow going getting from Pittsburgh to Boston. Also, if you plan to stay at the KOA north of town and need to hit up the grocery store in town, that adds another 6 miles round trip. I stayed in the Adirondack shelters in town and liked them. You can see the back of the grocery store from the park there. And check with the hotel about .25 miles south, right along the trail. I believe they still sell showers even if you are not a guest. There are also laundry machines.

From there to Rockwood is also not as easy as you might think. There is noticeable grade in places. Husky Haven is a great place to camp with showers at the guesthouse in town and free firewood at the campground. And the train noise is soothing.

The GAP Trail Campground in W. Newton is really nice but a bit pricey for some. I stayed there during an up and back from Cumberland in 2019.
Old 01-12-22, 10:44 PM
bigwies
Mega Clyde

Bikes: 2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2007 Trek 7100

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
indyfabz Thanks for the tips. I am currently leaning towards a 4 day ride and I view the 3 day option as a stretch goal depending on what type of shape I am in and if I have any companions. I was planning to stay in B&Bs/motels for this first experience, but I will keep the camping suggestions in mind in case I change tack. Part of the appeal to me for this tour is its relatively short length and the various options for lodging and food.
Old 01-12-22, 11:55 PM
niknak

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
After hosting a young man from Argentina via Warm Showers over the holidays, we've decided to visit him in December. We found this great website dedicated to touring in Patagonia. Can't wait to visit Chile and Argentina!
Old 01-13-22, 12:53 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
I'll say it but that does not mean I'll do it...

#1 - Part Out a Wall Hanger I no longer ride. #2 - Clean out my parts bin of usable stuff I am not go to use.

We will see... Ha
Old 01-13-22, 05:12 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bigwies
indyfabz Thanks for the tips. I am currently leaning towards a 4 day ride and I view the 3 day option as a stretch goal depending on what type of shape I am in and if I have any companions. I was planning to stay in B&Bs/motels for this first experience, but I will keep the camping suggestions in mind in case I change tack. Part of the appeal to me for this tour is its relatively short length and the various options for lodging and food.
The restaurant along the trail in W. Newton was pretty good. Had a nice Greek salad for lunch. Think it’s called The Trailside Inn or something similar.

If you need lodging at the end the place in Cumberland right along the very beginning of the C&O is very bike-friendly. Laundry and no problem bringing your bike in your room. You can literally ride off the trail and up to the front door. Fairfield Inn by Marriott. Got a great pandemic rate on a Monday in 2020 during a cross-Pennsylvania tour.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-22, 08:01 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve done your 3 day itinerary twice in that direction. The day to Connellsville is not necessarily a gimme. I had noticeable headwinds both times, and it’s relatively slow going getting from Pittsburgh to Boston. Also, if you plan to stay at the KOA north of town and need to hit up the grocery store in town, that adds another 6 miles round trip. I stayed in the Adirondack shelters in town and liked them. You can see the back of the grocery store from the park there. And check with the hotel about .25 miles south, right along the trail. I believe they still sell showers even if you are not a guest. There are also laundry machines.

From there to Rockwood is also not as easy as you might think. There is noticeable grade in places. Husky Haven is a great place to camp with showers at the guesthouse in town and free firewood at the campground. And the train noise is soothing.

The GAP Trail Campground in W. Newton is really nice but a bit pricey for some. I stayed there during an up and back from Cumberland in 2019.
Last summer I stayed in the guesthouse at Husky Haven in Rockwood for two nights. Had the place to myself for $50 a night. What a deal, and it was far better than sleeping in a tent in the pouring rain. And the train noise was not that bad, even though they are right across the street.

Old 01-13-22, 09:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
I plan to try my second-ever tour in '22 with some co-workers. We decided to try Buffalo to Albany, NY on the Erie Canal/Empire State Trail.
It is a fairly easy trip, we did that for '21 with the kids. I ran 35c tires with a solid center and file pattern on the sides and never had a concern for traction. No major grades and real nice scenery with plenty of camping along it. Fun time.

Originally Posted by Pratt
Doing it after has the advantage that their spray paint blazes are still on the pavement. Signage could have been a lot better when I did it 3 years ago. Trail alternates with pavement a fair amount. Google maps on your phone is also a good idea.
Its gotten better since Cuomo tried to claim credit for creating a trail system across the whole state and just plunked down a bunch more signs. Still has some not so well signed spots though.

Originally Posted by indyfabz

This is what I'll need to know. Wife and I want to do from Pittsburg to DC and bring the kids along. It limits us to 40-60 mile days, usually weather dependent, the kids don't handle the heat as well when riding. might end up riding the trail in Missouri instead if we end up heading west to the my FIL. But the Gap is high on the wife's list so I suspect that's the direction we're heading. With all three kids now on cross bikes we might do a little better.
Old 01-14-22, 06:40 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alan s
Last summer I stayed in the guesthouse at Husky Haven in Rockwood for two nights. Had the place to myself for $50 a night. What a deal, and it was far better than sleeping in a tent in the pouring rain. And the train noise was not that bad, even though they are right across the street.

The guest house was closed when I was there in September of 2020. You weren’t even allowed to use the common area, including the laundry machines. It had rained hard earlier in the day. One reason why I got a room in Cumberland the next day. Both my kits were dirty, and one was damp. No way to air dry anything.

Yes. The train noise has abated some because of operational changes at CSX. Fewer but longer trains.

It poured for a while that night. The campground was really crowded. Apparently some people had not checked the forecast because when the rain started there were mad scrambles to secure things on picnic tables. I could hear voice and see flashlights. Oops.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-14-22 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-14-22, 07:50 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Very nice looking campground. We planned on staying at there last September, but it was just starting to rain as we pulled in. The guesthouse was booked. The campground was (if I remember right) $30 for the two of us. If we wanted to setup on a platform with a roof it would have been $20 more and still water and a shower was across the river..all while raining. We opted for the hostel. Warm, dry, clean!, and a great shower. Had our own room for $85 and good food a block away(same owner, nice woman). Only three others there..all bikers. We woke to a soft rain and rode the entire day in rain..it was nice to start out dry at least.
Old 01-14-22, 08:39 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
Typing here and daydreaming about a summer bike tour instead of setting up the snowplow...we're gonna get slammed this Sunday.

Planning on the Erie Canal trail, Buffalo to Rensselaerville (a little SW of Albany).
Old 01-14-22, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
This is what I'll need to know. Wife and I want to do from Pittsburg to DC and bring the kids along. It limits us to 40-60 mile days, usually weather dependent, the kids don't handle the heat as well when riding. might end up riding the trail in Missouri instead if we end up heading west to the my FIL. But the Gap is high on the wife's list so I suspect that's the direction we're heading. With all three kids now on cross bikes we might do a little better.
All of my experiences started on Saturdays after Labor Day. There was some warmth and humidity on a few days, but nothing I would consider hot.
Old 01-14-22, 05:51 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
It is a fairly easy trip, we did that for '21 with the kids. I ran 35c tires with a solid center and file pattern on the sides and never had a concern for traction. No major grades and real nice scenery with plenty of camping along it. Fun time.
Glad to hear it. I'm looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Planning on the Erie Canal trail, Buffalo to Rensselaerville (a little SW of Albany).
Maybe I'll see you out there.
Old 01-14-22, 08:35 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Typing here and daydreaming about a summer bike tour instead of setting up the snowplow...we're gonna get slammed this Sunday.

The canal is nice. Perhaps consider also hugging L. Ontario shore. Campgrounds are great. Also, north side of L. Ontario is great. All better than shoveling snow
Old 01-15-22, 06:48 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,516 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
The canal is nice. Perhaps consider also hugging L. Ontario shore. Campgrounds are great. Also, north side of L. Ontario is great. All better than shoveling snow
Thanks, I bet the Webster to Oswego area could be great. I remember orchards and vineyards that go on forever.
Old 01-15-22, 08:01 AM
IPassGas

Thanks, I bet the Webster to Oswego area could be great. I remember orchards and vineyards that go on forever.
The entire loop on the shore of Ontario is great. Yes, many vineyards/orchards. For unknown reasons, the Canadians side turns the grapes into great wine, whereas in NY its horrible.
Old 01-16-22, 12:37 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts
I'm planning on doing the Natchez Trace Parkway in late May. I haven't decided the rest of the year yet, I am debating on exploring the U.P. in Michigan.

Tom
Old 01-17-22, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by IPassGas
The entire loop on the shore of Ontario is great. Yes, many vineyards/orchards. For unknown reasons, the Canadians side turns the grapes into great wine, whereas in NY its horrible.
Crossing the country we went to a vineyard outside of Niagara Falls, ON. Good wine, including ice wine, which I had never tried before.
Old 01-17-22, 08:01 AM
IPassGas

Originally Posted by Indytriumph
I'm planning on doing the Natchez Trace Parkway in late May. I haven't decided the rest of the year yet, I am debating on exploring the U.P. in Michigan.
On part of a longer tour last summer we did M28 from Lake Gogebic to Marquette. This road has good shoulders and interesting cascades along the way. This route is better than Highway 41 to the north, which we did some years back. The bike trail into Marquette is awesome, and along L. Superior from Marquette to Grand Marias is also wonderful.
Likes For IPassGas:
Old 01-17-22, 09:54 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Covid has messed with my ability to plan so bad I have no real idea what I will do this year. I can't be bothered to get excited.
For two years in a row I have had to bail on Moab in Nov. Went for a walking holiday in old Montreal with my son instead - not bad.

Last summer I did two hub and spoke road trips in Western Canada taking paddleboard and fat bike along. Surfed for the first time in Tofino and mountain biked in Fernie, as well as travelling through 7 NP's including Waterton for the first time. The first trip was in the heat wave with temps over 100F. The second was during the forest fire crisis when they started closing roads, so it was... interesting.

All I know for 2022 is I have booked most of August off in one block. I hope to either drive the Yukon or across Canada or... ?
Old 01-17-22, 10:15 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
We have multiple 7-10 day tours planned for 2022 and we begin at the end of March further south in Tennessee and such. We pulled off several last year but one had to remain flexible because of the changing conditions. Hopefully this year might be better.
Old 01-20-22, 08:40 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
As a member of the military for almost 39 years, I am being terminated due to the fact I won't get the vaccine. Not a big deal, at 56 and doing this for 39 years, I'm tired. Don't lecture me on vaccinations either, You're just yelling at clouds and I'm not listening anymore and tuning out the absolute lunacy. So what to do when everyday is a Saturday? Leaving end of May, beginning of June for a US perimeter tour for a year. 50 miles a day, five days a week. Should come out to about 12,000 miles. Should be a hoot.
Likes For chief9245:
Old 01-22-22, 09:39 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2022 tour plans

Three years ago, I turned 62 and planned a long semi-retirement bike tour. But my dad was still living at that time, suffering dementia, and it was getting worse. I had to help out with him. Then I needed two root canals. The final "nail in the coffin", was had a grand baby due end of summer. I decided ot postpone til 2020..
Then covid hit. Dad had to be put in a nursing home, and died later that year.
I began 2021 with covid, and ended up in the hospital. I felt tired much of the year, and ended up gaining 40 pounds. I biked a pathetic less than 350 miles.
I've gotten out of shape, but am determined to do some sort of tour in 2022. I told my wife (she's very supportive of my tour plans), that I was going to take a tour this year, even if it wasn't more than a 30 mile ride, stay in a motel, and ride back home the next day. For me, the hardest part of any bike ride, is just getting started. Ideally, I'll do that one day ride, then get up the next morning and keep going. I want to start at our door step, of our home in NW Arkansas.
For a long time, my goal has been to ride from my doorstep, to a beach, possibly Galveston, TX.
Old 01-25-22, 10:28 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Been attempting to plan a trip to Canada(Quebec) for two years and figured I better start firming things up where I can.

So first.."What's it take to get into Canada?" Things have been in a state of flux and this appears to be the latest update:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

Hmm. The series of answer-click-continue... screening pages begs for a flowchart, though I suspect if it were presented in a flow chart all lower endpoints might lead back to the beginning. They're not saying the border is closed..it's just..obscure. No agnst here..it is what it is for the time being. And for this time being I'm not going to be on a bike at a border crossing. Maybe things will change in the coming months..or..there's always next year.

One early summer tour is in place, and on to plan B for a late-summer/early fall trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.