Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

LBS Love

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-22, 02:02 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
LBS Love

I need a new pair of rotors for one of my bikes, and they're pretty scarce. A third-party Amazon seller, which looks a bit sketchy, has them listed at $90 each with delivery in about three weeks -- which suggests that they don't really have them in stock.

Called my fave LBS, which is 1.5 hrs away, and asked. Response was, "Sure, Koyote, we've got 'em at $59 each. I'll put a pair on the 'hold' shelf for you." I insisted on paying with my CC, since I won't make the trip very soon.

I hope I always have a shop like this.
Old 02-25-22, 02:09 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
too bad they won't throw them in a padded envelope w/ a cpl stamps for ya!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-25-22, 02:12 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I too have nothing but love for both my LBS, they always treat me very well. I use them both as much as i can within reason.

I really try to support local the best I can.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-25-22, 02:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
too bad they won't throw them in a padded envelope w/ a cpl stamps for ya!
Oh, they would do that – they’ve done it in the past. But I’ll be up there in a few weeks or a month at the latest. And I don’t need them right away.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-25-22, 02:25 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I had a conversation recently with someone who had gotten faulty advice online and ordered a wrong part via the Internet. He was later "astonished" to learn that one of our local shops had the right one in stock all along, and that he was able to just "walk in, check to see if it fit, and then take it home!" as if this was some novel concept that had never occurred to him.

We've evidently become so inured to online life that we've forgotten that there are physical places with expertise and inventory whose sole purpose is to help us out. Who knew?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-25-22, 02:28 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I could have driven 5.5 hours for the MTB I wanted but decided to just order it from my LBS instead. Bought many bikes from them over the years.
Old 02-25-22, 03:17 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
We've evidently become so inured to online life that we've forgotten that there are physical places with expertise and inventory whose sole purpose is to help us out. Who knew?
Its funny, reminds me a couple months ago I was calling my LBS Salsa dealer for a frame bag for my cutthroat, and the owner started looking online to order one, but couldn't find one, was it discontinued? he wondered, then shortly he remembered that he has one in correct size in his shop, I asked him to hold it for me and went and picked it up immediately 😂

Last edited by Eds0123; 02-26-22 at 12:07 AM.
Likes For Eds0123:
Old 02-25-22, 03:34 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I always try and support local, but due to part shortages I've cast my net wider than normal (bike shops, but some hours away). I've found two shops that when it comes to orders and/or service, they're now my go-to. One is 20 minutes away, the other 50 minutes. I try to limit driving there so often because of time and gas (and emissions), but I always enjoy visiting, and talking bikes.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 02-25-22, 03:46 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
My local Sports Basement found me some MT800 and some L03A

Very happy me
Old 02-25-22, 04:07 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I know the owner of my LBS and he is very knowledgeable at least to this technical neophyte.
He has been indispensable in making my bikes more rider friendly and I appreciate that with my business.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-25-22, 08:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I had a conversation recently with someone who had gotten faulty advice online and ordered a wrong part via the Internet. He was later "astonished" to learn that one of our local shops had the right one in stock all along, and that he was able to just "walk in, check to see if it fit, and then take it home!" as if this was some novel concept that had never occurred to him.

Well, yeah. Bike shops have significantly less inventory and fewer options than online. I do call shops for some things because if they have it in stock I will gladly buy from them, but typically I have to buy online in the end.
I no longer order from either local shop I frequent because they still order 1x/week. So if I come in on a Wednesday, they won't actually order it until the next Tuesday, which means I won't get the item for 1.5 weeks at earliest or possibly 2 weeks after i place the order(its happened).

It is what it is at this point. People like options and the internet provides that better. People like low prices and the internet provides that better.
Bike shops obviously still have a very solid piece of the overall pie, but the story of shop inventory is the same as any other retailer- online had more options.
Old 02-26-22, 12:09 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bike shops have significantly less inventory and fewer options than online.
Of course. But this shop had the part he needed all along; he just never thought to ask them.

I no longer order from either local shop I frequent because they still order 1x/week. So if I come in on a Wednesday, they won't actually order it until the next Tuesday, which means I won't get the item for 1.5 weeks at earliest or possibly 2 weeks
Distributors impose order minimums, and adhering to them helps the shop keep their prices down. I seldom need things so quickly that waiting a week is a dealbreaker.

People like options and the internet provides that better. People like low prices and the internet provides that better.
Yes, we live in the same world. I was just reflecting on how people have become so accustomed to focusing solely on prices and delivery speed that the LBS, with all its expertise and proximity, is sometimes viewed as the last resort.

It is what it is at this point.
Yep. What else could it be?

Last edited by Rolla; 02-26-22 at 12:23 AM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 02-26-22, 03:02 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
My local bike shops generally don’t have whatever I need, but I have come to greatly appreciate a local wheel builder who built a number of wheels for me for reasonable prices and a frame builder who straightened a steel fork for me for a very reasonable price. And these guys are masters at their craft.
Old 02-26-22, 05:36 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Preston (he told me I could use his name) at Aztec Cycles in Stone Mountain, GA., is my "go to" guy. Highly knowledgeable, loves to talk, treats me like part of the team, and treats my OLD Trek like it's the most important bike in the shop! We just completed my 1x conversion and, despite occasional issues of mating old, new, and differing brands, have turned my Beast into the Beauty I envisioned.

Bravo, Preston!
Old 02-26-22, 07:39 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I posted this in another thread:

The Peak Sports Bike Shop in Corvallis, Oregon is an excellent shop staffed by a great group of folks. I really appreciate them!

Russ, the Service Manager, at Peak Sports Bike Shop in Corvallis Oregon.

Our school district inherited a bike fleet from a neighboring community to help us get our bike safety program going. The bikes, 37 of them, were in decent shape, but needed a safety check, adjustments, and some new parts before we wanted to put our kids on them. I was in Peak Sports picking up cables, brake shoes, etc, and Russ asked me what I was up to. I told him what I needed to do, and he told me that if I waited to the following Monday, he would come over (35 mile drive) on his day off and give me a hand. He showed up early in the morning , and other than taking a lunch break, we worked to 4:30. The only thing he would accept for payment was buying him lunch. His shop also gives us a discount on parts. I've know the folks at this shop for a long time,and they are great people.

Our fleet has 37 bikes, a 20 ft cargo trailer to haul them, 130 helmets donated by our local bike club, tools and spare parts. We teach the 2-week course to 5th graders at the district's 5 elementary schools. Hopefully, this Covid pandemic will get to a point were we can go back to working with the kids again.

Graduation Ride
Old 02-27-22, 12:25 AM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts
I'm a mechanic in a bike shop in Minneapolis. Supporting your local bike shop goes a long way into supporting your local community. Likewise buying from your local grocer or butcher to many other everyday things.

It's easy to say, 'Buy American', 'Avoid Chinese made', We hear this sentiment often. This issue is more complex than we think - Well, how many of us can actually afford to buy 'American made' bike components? Not me, or many of the customers who I meet everyday. We talk about buying 'American' but won't buy at the local hardware store because we can save a few dollars at a mega store or Amazon. It would be years before American industries achieve the economies of scale and are able to churn out products the average 'American' can afford. Till then let's do our part and buy as much as we can 'local'.

I must admit, the average pay in a bike shop for a mechanic puts me in a place to buy where anything is the cheapest possible. I do my best to try and support local businesses.

Thank all of you who support your LBS or any local business. That's a great place to start.
Likes For blurcovenky: