Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Tesoro Neo X2

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Cannondale Tesoro Neo X2

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 06:55 PM
davidjaxson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Cannondale Tesoro Neo X2

I ordered a Tesoro Neo X2 from REI and picked it up today. It was assembled by REI with whom I have always been pleased.

I took an initial test ride through the neighborhood and when pedaling the bike the motor noise is very noticeable. Maybe I should say the noise coming from the mid mount motor area is very noticeable. I am new to the e-bike world so possibly my concern is unfounded but I had assumed that while pedaling the motor would be relatively quite. I have seen others on e-bikes and never recall hearing such noise. Does anyone have experience with the Bosch Performance Line mid mount motors? I am guessing the best course of action is to return it but wanted to make sure that noise from the drive area is not the norm.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-22, 07:05 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
yes bosch motors make noise. only a Brose motor will be quieter like you found on a specialized bike. its not a big deal you get used to it. brose has a belt that needs replaced bosch is sealed but has more gears. there have not been a recall on a bosch system yet. hub motors can make more noise but they all make some noise. wet nI went from a gen 2 bosch powered bike to a 4 gen it was like man thats loud but it was just different. I think a Shimano motor is quieter but I dont know for sure.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 05-06-22 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-07-22, 09:47 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Geared motors like all OEM mid-drives (don't think any of the mid motors are direct drive) make noise because there are "reduction" gears that take the motors from thousands of RPM's to hundreds. Brose motors are quieter because they use a belt drive instead of chain (as noted above). My Bafang system has a "whine" that is quieted to unnoticeable above 10 mph or so. Once when riding next to a Bosch-equipped bike I noticed that its motor was much louder than mine.
Old 05-07-22, 09:55 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Bafang motors have plastic gears bosch has mostly metal thats why they are noise. none of them use a chain.
Old 05-07-22, 11:18 AM
davidjaxson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the input. Based on the comments I am assuming all is as it should be with the bike.