Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 41 refugee thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-10, 04:05 AM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammy56
Funny, I do that Sunday ride every week. Im on the team that is run out of that store. Im the tattooed guy with the black cannondale.

And theres a handful of races left on the calendar, crits and rr's...but its winding down for the year.
Wait, do you have Reynolds deep dish wheels and a Honda element? I think we exchanged a wave yesterday after the ride I'm in the blue prius and ride the purple/green klein with white tape.

I'm probably a month or two away from wanting to get in some races and don't want to drive forever for them, so maybe I'll stick to just group rides until next season begins. Besides, I need to stop getting dropped on the last lap on weds nights, I'm getting closer though.

Last edited by Chef151; 08-30-10 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-30-10, 07:58 AM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
yep, thats me...introduce yourself next time you see me.
Old 08-30-10, 08:18 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
Sorry, late to the party on this one.

The thump is caused by a variation in the width of the rim at the braking surface. Usually it is a result of an impact. If the rims are new I'd go with what was suggested and say it is the seam.

Since most rims have their braking surfaces machines after they are pinned you may have a real problem here.

Check truing and hop first and, if they are in order, take off the tire and run some calipers across the braking surface and find the variation. If it is at the seam you are hooped.

If it is not at the seam lay a 1x2 across the braking surface and wack it with a hammer. Flip the rim over and repeat (seriously). Look and see if any lines develop (cracks) in the braking surface. Wack it until it seems flat. You can run a steel ruler across the rim to look for gaps. The gaps will be where the light spills through.

Or you could just try for a warranty...
thanks for the feedback Bob. I'm taking it to the shop today because I didn't get a chance to this weekend but I was checking the braking surface and didn't feel any irregularities but as I spun the wheel I noticed that it looks slightly out of true so I'm hoping it's that simple.
Old 08-30-10, 08:26 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
The front wheel on my commuter gives that hop every go around while braking. I'll have to check it for true and hop now. Damn.

Then again, it's a commuter so if the wheel isn't falling apart, I don't really care. I'm never going to try going 40 mph on this bike haha.
Old 08-30-10, 09:25 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Chef151
Wait, do you have Reynolds deep dish wheels and a Honda element? I think we exchanged a wave yesterday after the ride I'm in the blue prius and ride the purple/green klein with white tape.

I'm probably a month or two away from wanting to get in some races and don't want to drive forever for them, so maybe I'll stick to just group rides until next season begins. Besides, I need to stop getting dropped on the last lap on weds nights, I'm getting closer though.
definitely CL missed connections.

"write me back with what I was wearing."

Old 08-30-10, 11:40 AM
Chef151

Bikes: '03 Klein Q Carbon Race, 105/ultegra, reynolds wheels, toupe saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
definitely CL missed connections.

"write me back with what I was wearing."

I feel like I should probably get this reference, but I'm lost

Edit: I should've asked the googles first before posting...

"Just in case you don’t know about Missed Connections, it’s basically a section on Craigslist that allows people to post descriptions of chance encounters with mysterious strangers — in a coffeeshop, on the morning commute, at the post office — when they felt a compelling connection.* Perhaps a smile was shared, or there was fleeting eye contact as the two strangers looked at each other, then away, then at each other again.* Missed Connections gives them a place to try to find each other again if they find themselves thinking about that stranger and can’t quite let it go."

Had no idea this even existed. So awesome.

Last edited by Chef151; 08-30-10 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-30-10, 11:43 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Craigslist, has a section called "missed connections" under the personal's part.

When you winked at someone, and they smiled back, and then their bus took off before you could get their number, you post it on CL and the other person reads the post and gets in touch with you.

I have my doubts as to whether it actually has ever worked or is just a myth.
Old 08-30-10, 11:51 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Craigslist, has a section called "missed connections" under the personal's part.

When you winked at someone, and they smiled back, and then their bus took off before you could get their number, you post it on CL and the other person reads the post and gets in touch with you.

It has worked! My friend met her boyfriend through CL Missed Connections, after they saw each other on the subway.
Old 08-30-10, 11:55 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Originally Posted by Flatballer

I know a guy who got a hook up from CL's missed connections. True story..

Three of us were out mountain biking, and some chick took a photo of one of the guys and posted it to Missed Connections with the title "Delectable Beefy Man Meat". A couple of his friends found it and sent him the link, a week later they were dating. It only lasted for a few months, but it happened..
Old 08-30-10, 11:55 AM
BasicJim

Bikes: Trek 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CL Missed Connections, eh? Let me know if you see one that says "You - the fat sweaty guy on a low end road bike that clicked ever time your pedal went around and your spandex was defying the laws of physics... Me - the extremely rich old lady looking to spend my fortune on road bikes for that special someone." that's probably about me and I might wanna hook up with her.
Old 08-30-10, 11:59 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
apparently I was wrong. It does work.
Old 08-30-10, 12:38 PM
Bullseye

Bikes: Cannondale systemsix, Raleigh Competition '05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I seem to be getting bad ITB pain on the outside of my right calf/right thigh. I've tried to adjust my cleat position, but I can't seem to fix this problem. It's the kind of pain that's hardly noticeable at first, but after days of training, it gets fairly bad. It really seems like my seating bias is toward my left side, causing stress on my right side.

Anyone have this problem or any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-30-10, 02:50 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^here's what i've done when confronting itb issues.

stretch post ride then ice and elevate. if you dont already, work stretching, roller stick/tennisball, and more stretching into your training. focus on stretching the itb/hamstring/glutes/lower back. those seem to be the areas that get tied up in itb pain. get a good massage, repeat as you can.

you dont want to read this, but it's an overuse injury. in my experience, if you keep getting pain, you need to back off the training or you'll dig yourself a deeper hole. hopefully your season is winding down and the timing facilitates a rest.
Old 08-30-10, 02:54 PM
Bullseye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^Thanks;

I find your second paragraph much more interesting than the first; I think you're probably right...
Old 08-30-10, 02:55 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

https://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/k..._Band_Pain.htm

What Causes Iliotibial Band Syndrome?

Iliotibial band syndrome is typically caused by inflammation of the iliotibial band. IT band syndrome is a common injury in runners or other athletes that run for training or during their sports. The IT band acts primarily as a stabilizer during running and may become irritated from overuse. The pain is typically felt on the outside (lateral) aspect of the knee or lower thigh, and is often more intense when descending stairs, or getting up from a seated position.

Common Causes of IT Band Syndrome

* Overuse
* Increasing Training Too Quickly
* Overtraining Syndrome
* Returning from Injury Too Soon
* Faulty Biomechanics
* Other Training Errors

IT band syndrome is common in runners who perform unbalanced, repetitive exercise such as running only on one side of a crowned road, or only running one way around a track. Most roads slope off to the sides and running along the edge causes to the outside foot to be lower than the inside foot. This in turn causes the pelvis to tilt to one side and stresses the IT band.

The biomechanical abnormalities that may lead to IT band problems include: excessive pronation of the foot, leg length discrepancy, lateral pelvic tilt, and "bowed" legs. Muscle tightness or lack of flexibility in the gluteal (buttock) or quadriceps (thigh) muscles may increase the risk of IT band injuries. Sports physical therapists often use video tape analysis to uncover any biomechanical problems and make corrections in technique or muscle weakness or tightness.

How is IT Band Syndrome Treated?

Treating IT band friction syndrome generally includes:

* R.I.C.E.: Rest, ice, compression and elevation is the best way to treat initial IT band pain.
* Physical Therapy. A therapist may use ultrasound and other modalities to help the injured tissues heal more quickly. A skilled PT can also help you correct any biomechanical or training errors, and teach you how to perform the right flexibility exercises.
* Reduced Activity. Runners with IT band pain should reduce running mileage and be alert for signs of overtraining syndrome.
* Foam Roller Myofacial Release. Using a foam roller to release the tissues, may be painful, but many athletes have excellent success with this technique.
* Anti-inflammatory medications may also be used to reduce pain and inflammation.
* Rest and Recovery is an important part of your recovery and should be maintained as part of a balanced training program.
Old 08-30-10, 02:58 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

BTW -- the foam roller bit helps, but usually leaves me in tears.
Old 08-30-10, 03:03 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not entirely sure if it's the foam roller or changing sports, but my semi-chronic IT band syndrome went away when I started using the foam roller, and never regardless of what I did before.

Disclaimer:This also happened at the same time as I went from swimming to cycling, and I know I'm pigeon toed in the water putting stress on my IT band, so it may be coincidental.
Old 08-30-10, 04:55 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
BTW -- the foam roller bit helps, but usually leaves me in tears.
I found that after a few weeks it felt like the kinks were gone and it was much less painful. If I return to it after a few weeks w/o, it's excruciating again.
Old 08-30-10, 05:03 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Originally Posted by Ygduf
I found that after a few weeks it felt like the kinks were gone and it was much less painful. If I return to it after a few weeks w/o, it's excruciating again.
Hmm.. I'll keep that in mind and maybe make it a regular routine rather than just when things start getting tender. How frequently do you use it?
Old 08-30-10, 05:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm.. I'll keep that in mind and maybe make it a regular routine rather than just when things start getting tender. How frequently do you use it?
When it starts to bother me I do like 10-15 minutes/day. I do the above pictured exercise only, each leg 2 times, alternating. After a week or two I start to feel better, a week or two after that I get lazy and quit doing it. Then whenever my knee starts bugging me again I get the pain you're talking about. Like, tears to my eyes, barely able to breath pain. Especially the first day.
Old 08-30-10, 05:32 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know a guy who got a hook up from CL's missed connections. True story..

Three of us were out mountain biking, and some chick took a photo of one of the guys and posted it to Missed Connections with the title "Delectable Beefy Man Meat". A couple of his friends found it and sent him the link, a week later they were dating. It only lasted for a few months, but it happened..
Does he still have her number?
Old 08-30-10, 05:35 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Disclaimer:This also happened at the same time as I went from swimming to cycling, and I know I'm pigeon toed in the water putting stress on my IT band, so it may be coincidental.
Cycling's very tough on the IT band...probably not coincidental.

I try to roll nearly every evening and there are some post-roll stretches that also seem to help with the tightness.
Old 08-30-10, 05:37 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Racer Ex, out of curiosity, are you a texan of californian? I somehow thought you just won the texas crit championships, but it seems like you are active in california as well?
Old 08-30-10, 05:48 PM
Bullseye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so, related to all the replies: if the IT band is having problems due to overuse, is the proper action using a foam roller [which I have], or just rest?
Old 08-30-10, 05:55 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
Racer Ex, out of curiosity, are you a texan of californian? I somehow thought you just won the texas crit championships, but it seems like you are active in california as well?
Transplanted Californian uprooted from Nevada and replanted in Texas. Every time America's Most Wanted does the age enhanced photo thing I gotta scoot out of town.

We split time between Dallas and Reno. My racing license is issued in Texas so I'm not eligible for any of the California Championship stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.